Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2173093 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #875 on: 12 September, 2009, 08:17:33 pm »
The scouts' BBQ. All ready to go tomorrow, except I cannot see its grill anywhere.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

rdaviesb

« Reply #876 on: 12 September, 2009, 09:31:23 pm »
Took out the creaking bottom bracket from the Enigma. Cleaned to hospital standards, regreased and re-fitted. One of the bearings is on the way out (not really surprised, it has already done two winters, and cheapo Campag bottom brackets rarely get past that), so ordered new bottom bracket so that I am ready when this one fails.

Fitting SON and Solidlights (upgraded to XB2 over the summer - a major improvement) to the Langster. Added several rear lights and Raceblades, tidied up the Velo Orange handlebar covers and then stuck about 30 reflective patches on the rims to marginally reduce my chance of being run down whilst pedalling down the A584 this winter.

Then put some knobbly tyres and new mudguards on wifees hub geared hybrid, so that we can play in a field sometime.

alan

« Reply #877 on: 13 September, 2009, 12:13:08 pm »
Just put a new battery in my heart rate monitor.Can do some "scientific" riding now :-\

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #878 on: 13 September, 2009, 03:03:33 pm »
Well, so far changed the cranks on Butterfly's Galaxy from the horrid Exage originals for some shortened Deore; Replaced 13-30 cassette with 11-30 (needed to go buy a new chain whip in order to do this; swapped saddlebag mounts so she now has a Bagman.  Now I need to adjust her front mech for the smaller front chainring - wish me luck.

Right.  Front mech now adjusted (had to remove clunky bottlecage to do it :-\ ).  Works well.  Gear ratios are similar to before, so I hope she's happy.

Just washing it now & I've redone the bar tape, but I haven't told her that, so it's a surprise, OK? ;)

Oh - and now I have to clean the kitchen ;D
Getting there...

gordon taylor

« Reply #879 on: 13 September, 2009, 07:15:49 pm »
Sorted the gears on Mrs G's commuter - new levers, grips and cables fitted.
Fitted new tyres (25mm Marathon +) after a spate of tow-path punctures

Stripped the trike of its touring clutter, blew up the tyres and put the Bagman back on.

Finished the minor work on the Ridgeback for tomorrow's commute.

Repacked the repair kits on each working bike.

A good day in the garage!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #880 on: 13 September, 2009, 09:29:13 pm »
Stripped and cleaned the moulton midi.  Ready to reassemble with fresh grease sometime soon, once I can find some 14inch tubes that fit the wheels.

Then another toy to amuse myself with.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #881 on: 14 September, 2009, 09:50:35 pm »
I met Butterfly on the way home.  Her new chain was jumping a bit, so I watched it, cause I thought there might be a bit of a stiff link  where I'd joined it in the absence of the Powerlinks I thought I'd had.

I spotted something seemed to be attached to the chain, so we stopped.  It was actually an outer plate out of line :o

Ooh dear.  Took a link out & rejoined the chain.  I hadn't got my chain tool with me, but fortunately Butterfly had one (don't go out underprepared, kids!), so we got on our way.

It was still a bit stiff, so a second bout of sat on my arse on a pavement cursing a chain saw me working the rivet till it runs smooth.  I must say, though, the rivet was very very soft. :-\

Hope all is OK so we can get a verdict on the new set up in the next couple of days.
Getting there...

« Reply #882 on: 14 September, 2009, 11:04:38 pm »
Had the Nomad up on the rack to get it ready for the camping trip next week.  I put a Bontrager Satellite on the front wheel a few weeks back to match the rear one I had to buy in the US. Mudguard clearance was a bit tight so I fixed that.  Headset adjusted (also too tight!), brakes twiddled and  my Blackburn Mars 4.0 bodged onto the Tubus carrier.

One of the rails that holds the anti-sway strip on one of my Carradice panniers has come away from the backing board, I hope the boss remembers to bring his pop rivet tool in tomorrow so I can fix it!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #883 on: 15 September, 2009, 09:11:38 pm »
Well I have polished the frame on the moulton midi and commenced rebuilding.  Attacked the wheels insides with a wire brush and then some jenolite'd on the inside the rusty spot.  Well I've attacked the chrome too with wire wool to bring it up all shiney.

Did the same to some of the chrome on the Hercules.  Bit more to do to complete the Hercules.

Then tomorrow finish putting the wheels back on the moulton and then use it tomorrow.

« Reply #884 on: 15 September, 2009, 09:13:57 pm »
Fitted dynohub, low-riders and lights to the tourer ready for the camping weekend.  I still have to fit the handlebar bag.

The test ride to and from the supermarket was great fun - Chucking all the shopping into the front panniers made the handling quite interesting.

« Reply #885 on: 15 September, 2009, 09:29:11 pm »
fitted lights for tonight and exceptionally large cassette for next weeks trip to the lake district.  My cheapo smart lights are borked, need to get some new back lights :(

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #886 on: 18 September, 2009, 09:33:54 pm »
Changed the tyres, chain, sprocket and chainring on the Frankendale.  Then noticed the chainline was 2.5mm out, which explains why the old chainring is chamfered on the outside and the old sprocket is chamfered on the inside  :-\  Ordered a 2mm shorter BB.  Rode round the block to try out the Hope Vision 1, which lasted 100 yards due to inadequate batteries.  Despite the weight, Marathon Pluses (26 x 1.35) quite suit the bike and weren't a fight to get on this time.

Fitted stabilisers to Miss Z the elder's old bike for Miss Z the younger, who can't use it for scooting because her feet don't reach the ground.  At all.

Messed about with some panniers.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #887 on: 19 September, 2009, 09:52:55 pm »
Fitted new front carrier block to the Brompton.  (Used my torque wrench - slightly outside its spec - for an accurate 3.6 Nm when doing up the bolts.)

Started tinkering with the bracket that holds the (dynamo-powered) Cyo N+ on the front.  Stopped tinkering when I noted that the Cyo was absorbing electricity, but not, contrary to its purpose, producing any light.  Swore.

(Oddly enough, the Cyo works when I connect it to 4 AA cells.  Either way round.  But it's not happy with the wobbly electricity coming out of my dynamo.  Even when I put a bridge rectifier in.)

Replaced the 3 broken spokes on the Brompton rear wheel.  Snapped my VAR tyre lever in removing the Schwalbe Marathon.  Swore some more.

Old-fashioned spoke key wouldn't fit around the fat spokes.  Had to do a separate trip back to the LBS for spare spokes and new spoke key.  New spoke key took the corners off some of the spoke nipples.  Swore until the air had had enough.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #888 on: 20 September, 2009, 07:00:57 pm »
Regreased and adjusted the headset on a steel frame recently purchased on the 'bay
Stripped all the parts off the donor OCR2 and fitted them to the new frame - all well except the rear brake cable is about an inch too short -

I should have expected that as the new frame is a fair bit bigger than the donor. Duh!

LBS tomorrow to get some new cables
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #889 on: 20 September, 2009, 08:02:18 pm »
Fitted new front carrier block to the Brompton.  (Used my torque wrench - slightly outside its spec - for an accurate 3.6 Nm when doing up the bolts.)

Started tinkering with the bracket that holds the (dynamo-powered) Cyo N+ on the front.  Stopped tinkering when I noted that the Cyo was absorbing electricity, but not, contrary to its purpose, producing any light.  Swore.

(Oddly enough, the Cyo works when I connect it to 4 AA cells.  Either way round.  But it's not happy with the wobbly electricity coming out of my dynamo.  Even when I put a bridge rectifier in.)

Replaced the 3 broken spokes on the Brompton rear wheel.  Snapped my VAR tyre lever in removing the Schwalbe Marathon.  Swore some more.

Old-fashioned spoke key wouldn't fit around the fat spokes.  Had to do a separate trip back to the LBS for spare spokes and new spoke key.  New spoke key took the corners off some of the spoke nipples.  Swore until the air had had enough.

The rear spokes use 13g spokes, which I think are 2.3mm.  Most spokes are 14g at the end, or 2.0mm.  Brompton's wheelbuild is highly variable (I used to just say "crap", but the local dealer says some of them come in OK, some need fixing).  I build them with 14g spokes.  Get them very tight - the rims aren't especially prone to pringling - correct the spoke line at the rim and stress relieve them and they should never break.  There is nothing special about a Brompton wheel that requires 13g spokes - it's just their way of trying to solve the underlying problem of a poor build.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #890 on: 20 September, 2009, 08:10:30 pm »
Both bikes washed and tuned.  Ensured chains were not worn, flints removed, tyres inflated, brake blocks sound etc.

« Reply #891 on: 20 September, 2009, 09:27:38 pm »
Converted a mixed bag of old lead pipe, found fishing weights, church roof and offcuts from flashing to about 60 lbs of shiny new diving weights in 2, 4 and 6 lbs sizes.

Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #892 on: 21 September, 2009, 09:26:08 am »
I am in the middle of some major fettling on both Claud (roadified Claud Butler Rock MTB) and my Ribble road bike.

Yesterday I drilled two holes in Claud and didn't bugger it the job up!  The front and rear mudguards are now held on with bolts as opposed to cable ties.  The mudguard stays are also the right length now.  His new chainset is also fitted.  I just have to wait for Wiggle to deliver his new derailleur and he'll be back on the road.

Then I will have a crack at the Ribble.  New chainset, chain, block and derailleur.  Bar end shifters, new brake levers and handle bar tape.  I have never taped bars before so that will take a good bit of thinking about.

« Reply #893 on: 24 September, 2009, 12:21:37 am »
Removed the cheese from my Minoura SpaceBar

Removing the Cheese from a spacegrip

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #894 on: 24 September, 2009, 10:02:39 am »
Last night I fitted a new Rigida Andra rim to the old Schmidt hub on the Thorn. I had to do it "blind" first time because my computer was out of action (Dez is still working on it) and buggered it up, having every spoke one hole further round than it should have been. Got it right second time and have just been out for a short test ride. Very satisfying!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #895 on: 24 September, 2009, 01:17:19 pm »
Fitted a Brooks mudflap to my SKS. It's made the SKS flap a bit, which is annoying... I ought not have been so lazy, and made the carpet rubber DIY jobbies.

« Reply #896 on: 24 September, 2009, 01:43:05 pm »
The lawn.
I am about to attack a pile of wood.
I am then going to have a go at a rear tyre replacement.  Krylion off Krylion on, of course.

« Reply #897 on: 24 September, 2009, 03:49:21 pm »
Rohloff hub.

The internal gear cable frayed and anchored itself in the concertina cable covers.  So i DID have to remove the wheel for the first time before 10000 miles.

Its all fine and dandy now though :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #898 on: 24 September, 2009, 07:17:31 pm »
Not sure this really counts as fettling... but it probably does by my standards  :)  Oh, and technically it was actually yesterday.

I was about to set off on my bike to the pool last night, so I stuck my lights back on the bike and then I realised that the mounting bracket for one of my (cheapo rubbish) front lights was distinctly wobbly.  Further investigation revealed that, in the time it was parked up in the bike shed for the day some little darling had fiddled about and borked the cam-lever-y type thing so it wouldn't shut properly.  So I fettled it by judicious application of.... a hair bobble, cunningly positioned to hold said lever in place.  So you see, Sustrans silly campaign people, there are some advantages to being a gurl wiv gurly hair onna bike.

(It wasn't a pink bobble though.  And I don't pack a hairbrush for cycling)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #899 on: 26 September, 2009, 09:12:10 pm »
Well after getting the hercules squished I checked it out and it is officially borked frame, wheels, crank and handlebars all bent.

So I decided, as the on one hubs had arrived, to commence the building of the fixed 501 tubed fixed mountain bike.  So fully stripped the bike removed all the stickers and now commencing the rebuild once the rims and spokes arrived.

Then started on the ridgeback 531 tubed frame, this is also going fixed so stripped off all the gearing and cable lugs with a dremmel and the smoothed the frame in preperation to go to the powder coaters to be rebuild as another fixie/single speed.

Hope fully completing those two will see if I can build and sell fixed bikes for a profit.