Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134713 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #825 on: 25 August, 2009, 10:08:34 pm »
Finally worked out what was going clunk on the shiny carbon loveliness. Except it is now making worse noises than clunk. Drive side BB bearing. Not impressed as that is not many miles at all.

So I removed the chainset and BB and replaced it with the one from the old bike - Campag Xenon compact on a UN72 BB. Re-tweaked the gears (how did I manage to set them up 1 gear out the first time round?) and took 6 links out of the chain as it was very slack. That was too much so I had to add some links back in. That was both my quicklinks used  :(

Anyhow, it now seems to behave so I will test it for creaks tomorrow.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #826 on: 26 August, 2009, 12:33:06 am »
Fitted Garmin handlebar mount.

Decided I should have listened to everyone in the GPS thread who said they're shit.

Ordered RAM mount for Garmin.

::-)

« Reply #827 on: 26 August, 2009, 01:21:39 pm »
Fitted a mileometer to the Brompton. No space for the magnet and sender on front wheel, so rear! Can't read it while moving but it's only there to tell me how far I've been!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #828 on: 26 August, 2009, 10:52:23 pm »
Bodged a light bracket onto my bike so I could fit a handlebar bag

That's illegal :demon:

Lights are supposed to be on the centre-line or off-side. (Sorry, I'll go away...)

Fitted Garmin handlebar mount.

Decided I should have listened to everyone in the GPS thread who said they're shit.

Ordered RAM mount for Garmin.

I'm very happy with them. If you want to get rid of the one you have...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #829 on: 26 August, 2009, 10:54:40 pm »
Peli's new LHT with the help of our top man Cory from our LBS.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #830 on: 26 August, 2009, 10:55:54 pm »
Not today, but in a couple of sessions lately have finally got around to upgrading the gears on my Audax bike. Off with the Shimano 600 friction gears, bought c1977, and the ever-slipping down-tube levers. On with a new 13-24 freewheel and the 8-speed Athena Ergos and gears that I bought via the forum and haven't got around to using.

Along the way, I stripped and regreased my Gran Sport hubs. Campag hubs of that vintage are things of beauty. Had forgotten how satisfying that job is.

Just need to tune the gears and put on new bar tape - this weekend, hopefully :)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #831 on: 27 August, 2009, 12:13:27 am »
Bodged a light bracket onto my bike so I could fit a handlebar bag

Lights are supposed to be on the centre-line or off-side. (Sorry, I'll go away...)

Out of interest, is this true? Can you tell me where the rule comes from? I can see the sense of it, but I've never heard anyone say it was the law before.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #832 on: 27 August, 2009, 12:41:10 am »
It is a legal requirement, probably buried in the RVLR or BS6102/3 somewhere.  Chris Juden talks about it a bit on the CTC Site.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Paul

« Reply #833 on: 27 August, 2009, 01:49:09 pm »
Thanks TimO

« Reply #834 on: 27 August, 2009, 02:02:35 pm »
In fact I think the relevant bit is The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, Schedule 2, Part 1.

2. Position-
(b) Lateral-
(ii)  Where one front position lamp is required to be fitted-
(B)  Any other vehicle: On the centre-line or off-side of the vehicle
Actually, it is rocket science.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #835 on: 27 August, 2009, 09:56:15 pm »
Well fettled the Hercules to see if the cable was set wrong and it wasn't.  So put a squirt of oil in to the hub,

Then attacked the car, one of the injectors had fuel around it, so suspected a leak.  Had to take the inlet manifold off and then noted that there was no actual leak so tightened the union and will see what happens.

Then I decided to replace the brake fluid on the car as it looked like cold tea.  So I used the preasure easy bleed and I replaced the fluid quite easily.  I also noted that one of the cv joint boots had poped off and so I refilled the joint with grease then reattached the boot.

Then I swaped the plugs on the bike as they are less than a week old but I think that one could be faulty.  Have swapped them between cylinders and will see what happens.

« Reply #836 on: 27 August, 2009, 11:59:23 pm »
As far as I can work out, Sunset was about an hour before you posted that, so you don't need to wait any longer!

I wondered if anyone would notice :)  I was waiting for darkness, rather than sundown - it's amazing how much light lingers.  By 9.30-9.45 the lanes were very properly dark.  

Quiet, you  >:( ;D  I'm not swapping it now. Besides, the brake would get in the way.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #837 on: 28 August, 2009, 10:23:13 pm »
Fitted some new axle nuts to the Brompton.  This took three hours.

The dropout design has changed over the years, and the new SRAM anti-rotation washers expect the little slot above the actual dropout to be closer to the open end of the dropout.  I had to very carefully make the little slot deeper so the washers would engage, using a small file.  When I just managed the snuggest of snug fits (which is how it is on my S-type) I stopped.

Then I found that, although the axle nuts are correct, the guide nut is a Sturmey one  ::-)  I'll have to e-mail the shop, since they all came in the same bag.  SRAM use a weird German  FG10.5 thread (10.5mm diameter and 26TPI) but Sturmey use a 13/32" x 26 TPI thread.  The difference in diameter is less than 0.2mm and the pitch is the same, but they'[re not interchangeable.  Anyway, I can tell it's a Sturmey nut because it has a porthole in it - SRAM ones don't, because you don't need to see the end of the axle to adjust 'em.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #838 on: 02 September, 2009, 09:14:10 am »
My head.

I have had a haircut which, should the weather on my forthcoming holibobs prove clement, will keep my ears cool.  It also makes me about one and a half inches taller.  Hurrah!

The downside of the "being taller" thing is that, because it won't lie flat, it makes me look like that titanic ponce Morrissey.  Bah!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #839 on: 02 September, 2009, 06:07:53 pm »
Spent most of the afternoon turning a rusty bread tin into a new battery contact for my Ixon IQ with the aid of copious swearing, minor blood loss and a dremel.

It works, ish.  Need springier steel, ideally.  But given the impending FNRttC I'll take a crap light and a decent light that intermittently cuts out over a crap light alone.

Given the high quality of the Ixon's optics and their dynamo lights in general, I really have to wonder what B&M were smoking when they designed this thing...

Chris S

« Reply #840 on: 02 September, 2009, 08:23:15 pm »
Spent most of the afternoon turning a rusty bread tin into a new battery contact for my Ixon IQ with the aid of copious swearing, minor blood loss and a dremel.

Goodness me, Kim - when we met on Regulator's ride I thought, "Hmm, she seems like a resourceful sort of person" but that sure is an unexpected sequence of items... Top work  :thumbsup:.

« Reply #841 on: 05 September, 2009, 11:12:28 am »
Just fettled the bike I bought for my dad. It's a heavy old steel MTB - that'll get him fit.

It means he can throw away the blue and yellow full sus BSO my mum got from the tip which migrated to him when I got her a new bike a couple of weeks ago.

Happy now  :).

Paul

« Reply #842 on: 05 September, 2009, 01:48:35 pm »
What haven't I fettled today this week?

Replaced discs and pads on the front wheels of the car;
Ditto wiper blades;
Repaired not one but two washing machines;
Erected scaffolding and repaired a leak in the guttering that's been bothering me for 3 years;
Washed windows while up there.

Phew!

rogerzilla

« Reply #843 on: 06 September, 2009, 03:14:54 pm »
The Cyo is now on the Brompton.  How to do it:

(a) use an IQ Fly bracket - it's lower

(b) use a small round file to enlarge the mounting hole of the Cyo at the rear, so it pokes a couple of millimetres further forward.  You don't need to do this if you (like most people) have the beam angled down a bit, but I wanted the top "cut off" of the beam to be perfectly horizontal.

If you do this it doesn't interfere with the fold.  Brompton *really* need to start offering LED dynamo headlights - they'd sell oodles more SONs, for a start.

EDIT: just tested it, and it's quite a lot better than the IQ Fly.  It throws the beam much further, which is what I like.

« Reply #844 on: 06 September, 2009, 09:05:02 pm »
Rear dérailleur and a new tube in the rear due to a slow release puncture.

« Reply #845 on: 06 September, 2009, 09:07:08 pm »
Tried to fettle the tent.  Cleaning and re-proofing.  Damn rain has kiboshed the second part of that.  Ah well, the rain will only make it cleaner.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #846 on: 06 September, 2009, 09:13:14 pm »
New salmon brake pads on the September.

rdaviesb

« Reply #847 on: 06 September, 2009, 09:15:17 pm »
I have built a small workbench in my shed, put the SON, Solidlights and various rear blinkies on the Langster, and fitted a pair of Crudguards.

rogerzilla

« Reply #848 on: 07 September, 2009, 09:26:26 pm »
Built a new front wheel for Miss Z's bike.  20" rim, 36 DT stainless spokes and a NOS Suntour XC Pro hub...with GreaseGuard ports and everything  :)

The front brake needs looking at because the cheapskates used a 90 degree noodle instead of the right-hand-drive 135 degree noodle, so the cable outer pushes the brake to one side.  Maybe I should just buy a set of Deore ones...

gordon taylor

« Reply #849 on: 07 September, 2009, 09:50:40 pm »
I laced up two wheels and have decided that all the 64 new spokes I bought today are 2mm too short.

Back to square one, I think.

>:( >:( >:(