Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 420689 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #1625 on: 05 June, 2016, 09:23:48 pm »
Given the fun and games over TT's in Scotland, does anyone know if Cycling UK/British Cycling/Triathlon UK personal membership gives third party covere for competitive events not organised by that particular organisation? We are looking to run some CTT events and before taking the plunge I want to ensure that current memberships will give appropriate insurance protection.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #1626 on: 05 June, 2016, 10:05:21 pm »
Given the fun and games over TT's in Scotland, does anyone know if Cycling UK/British Cycling/Triathlon UK personal membership gives third party covere for competitive events not organised by that particular organisation? We are looking to run some CTT events and before taking the plunge I want to ensure that current memberships will give appropriate insurance protection.

I think British Cycling extends cover to 'approved' organisations, including CTT.  I don't think CTC covers competition. 

But to enter a CTT event you have to be a member of an affiliated club.  What's the problem in Scottishland?

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1627 on: 05 June, 2016, 10:28:57 pm »
Until recently CTT and Scottish Cycling did not fish in each other's waters. CTT remained south of the border. A dissafected faction (not without reason) decided that SC were not giving TT's the attention they deserved and when they did it was too expensive so this year Scotland is now a CTT District.
As individuals are members of British Cycling, not Scottish Cycling (which is an organisation to which the clubs are affiliated - if you think this is confusing just wait) then I would expect BC membership to cover CTT events as it does south of the border.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1628 on: 06 June, 2016, 06:59:51 am »
I'm prettysure that CTC covers time trials but not bunch races.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1629 on: 06 June, 2016, 01:44:59 pm »
I went off a bit fast anodised up a bit too much energy on the first hill ...
That would have been very fashionable 20 years ago!  Purple?

Well done, Chris.  Hope your enthusiasm continues!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1630 on: 06 June, 2016, 03:37:39 pm »
Newbury 12 hour start sheet

This is one of the two 'fast' twelves on the calendar.  Several entrants look interesting:

Mark and Jane on the tandem trike. 

Jasmijn Muller: She's currently sixth in the all-time women's list, after a ride on a slower course on a windy and rainy day last year.  She's also looking to break the LEJOG record this year.

Scratch rider is Adam Topham, looking to defend his BBAR.  One minute in front of him, doing what must be a short distance for him after he gave up 12s when he discovered 24s, is the one and only Mr Teethgrinder Abraham.  Good luck TG!

rob

« Reply #1631 on: 06 June, 2016, 04:15:45 pm »
Newbury 12 hour start sheet

This is one of the two 'fast' twelves on the calendar.  Several entrants look interesting:

Mark and Jane on the tandem trike. 

Jasmijn Muller: She's currently sixth in the all-time women's list, after a ride on a slower course on a windy and rainy day last year.  She's also looking to break the LEJOG record this year.

Scratch rider is Adam Topham, looking to defend his BBAR.  One minute in front of him, doing what must be a short distance for him after he gave up 12s when he discovered 24s, is the one and only Mr Teethgrinder Abraham.  Good luck TG!

Enjoyed that one last year, but the road surface is a killer after 9-10hrs.   Fast rolling road that seems to generate some good distances.

Small number of entrants this year which must be a bit disappointing.

While we talking BBAR where the bloody hell is my certificate ?    Turned myself inside out a few times last year to qualify and no-one can be arsed to send a piece of paper out until nearly a year after I did my last ride.

« Reply #1632 on: 06 June, 2016, 05:16:03 pm »

I thought she was targeting the 24 this year and LEJOG next year?

« Reply #1633 on: 06 June, 2016, 05:20:08 pm »
Maybe everyone is saving up for the Breckland comp record course later in the year? In my case, I've raced two 12s on that course and don't really fancy going back for another.

I like it because it was the first 12hr that came before the 24hr so I could finally get my club record (2nd place to Tops and faster than Dr Hutch who literally wrote the book 'Faster' #boastpost) instead of being shelled and racing it 3 weeks after the 24hr.

« Reply #1634 on: 06 June, 2016, 05:21:42 pm »

I thought she was targeting the 24 this year and LEJOG next year?

If you want to help her out...

https://duracellbunnyonabike.com/2016/02/25/%EF%BB%BFsupport-crew-lejog-solo-record/

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1635 on: 06 June, 2016, 05:24:55 pm »
So I got it wrong?  That makes a change  :facepalm:

« Reply #1636 on: 06 June, 2016, 06:24:56 pm »
Is there a course map for the Newbury 12h if a localish guy wanted to come out and cheer some people on? I need an excuse to get out for some miles. but that only works if I can fit it round my church service.

« Reply #1637 on: 06 June, 2016, 06:36:35 pm »
Is there a course map for the Newbury 12h if a localish guy wanted to come out and cheer some people on? I need an excuse to get out for some miles. but that only works if I can fit it round my church service.

Find the Hen & Chicken pub. Most people are around there.

#alco

rob

« Reply #1638 on: 06 June, 2016, 06:44:46 pm »
Maybe everyone is saving up for the Breckland comp record course later in the year? In my case, I've raced two 12s on that course and don't really fancy going back for another.

I like it because it was the first 12hr that came before the 24hr so I could finally get my club record (2nd place to Tops and faster than Dr Hutch who literally wrote the book 'Faster' #boastpost) instead of being shelled and racing it 3 weeks after the 24hr.

Good point.   I'm hoping to do the Breckland.   It's 6 weeks after the 24hr.  Hope my 258 mile PB gets me in.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #1639 on: 06 June, 2016, 07:39:48 pm »

Good point.   I'm hoping to do the Breckland.   It's 6 weeks after the 24hr.  Hope my 258 mile PB gets me in.

Surely it won't be a full field will it? Not entering the Newbury I have all my eggs in one basket now...

rob

« Reply #1640 on: 06 June, 2016, 09:45:28 pm »

Surely it won't be a full field will it? Not entering the Newbury I have all my eggs in one basket now...

I doubt it TBH.  The 12hrs don't really fill.

I got a bit paranoid as I only just got into my 'A' 100 with a 4:10 PB.

« Reply #1641 on: 06 June, 2016, 10:45:09 pm »
The E2/100C? That's full because it's smaller numbers and faster than usual course I think.

I hope the Tan Hill 600 doesn't kill me too much that my 100 suffers. I've bailed out of racing a 10 the day before to focus on the hundo.

rob

« Reply #1642 on: 07 June, 2016, 06:39:44 am »
The E2/100C? That's full because it's smaller numbers and faster than usual course I think.

Yeah.  My PB is 4:10 and the organiser assured me I'd get in easily.   Then they changed the course to a faster version and more people entered.   It cut off on a 4:15 in the end so I was only just in.

I have the Kent 100 this weekend and will take next week easy in preparation.   Given I took 5 mins off my 25 time on the E2 on Saturday I'm hoping to get another good day.

« Reply #1643 on: 07 June, 2016, 07:56:09 am »
Yeah, I went from a short 55 to a 50:02 when I rode the E2 earlier in the year.
I'd done near 30mph on their 30 course in super conditions last year so expected a decent improvement.
My 100 PB is another that's relatively slow so I'd like to improve that below 3:45 if possible.
I'll need to learn the course though. I'm a shocker when it comes to directions, especially under duress.

rob

« Reply #1644 on: 07 June, 2016, 08:28:50 am »
Yeah, I went from a short 55 to a 50:02 when I rode the E2 earlier in the year.
I'd done near 30mph on their 30 course in super conditions last year so expected a decent improvement.
My 100 PB is another that's relatively slow so I'd like to improve that below 3:45 if possible.
I'll need to learn the course though. I'm a shocker when it comes to directions, especially under duress.

I went and checked out the HQ, start and Northern turn when I was at the E2 on Saturday.   The Southern turn is Fourwentways which is pretty straightforward.    The Northern turn is the first turn off onto the B road and not the 2nd at Red Lodge (which you use on the 50).   I'm hoping there's plenty of marshalls as I tend to get paranoid near the turns.

« Reply #1645 on: 07 June, 2016, 09:24:27 am »
They usually do have a Marshall on the slip road to wave you off for that turn

« Reply #1646 on: 07 June, 2016, 12:37:20 pm »

Yeah.  My PB is 4:10 and the organiser assured me I'd get in easily.   Then they changed the course to a faster version and more people entered.   It cut off on a 4:15 in the end so I was only just in.

I have the Kent 100 this weekend and will take next week easy in preparation.   Given I took 5 mins off my 25 time on the E2 on Saturday I'm hoping to get another good day.

Is that the ECCA 100 that they wouldn't let me ride? :'(
Not that I'm surprised. I don't think I could manage 4:10 for a 100. My best 25 is 1:03 (in 1993)
So I'll be sulking near Cirencester on another 100. Not all bad news though. I'm guaranteed a PB as long as I finish as it'll be my first 100. :smug:

rob

« Reply #1647 on: 07 June, 2016, 01:33:59 pm »

Is that the ECCA 100 that they wouldn't let me ride? :'(
Not that I'm surprised. I don't think I could manage 4:10 for a 100. My best 25 is 1:03 (in 1993)
So I'll be sulking near Cirencester on another 100. Not all bad news though. I'm guaranteed a PB as long as I finish as it'll be my first 100. :smug:

Last year people got in without a time, but the course has been changed and made a bit faster (in theory).    It was a bit 50:50 that I'd get in as well.

It's this bit of TTing that is a bit of a right of passage.   You need to get fast on slower courses to be able to enter events on faster courses.

I PB'd on the EDCA 100 on the A11 in Norfolk last year.   It's a good course and the weekend before the 24hr if you get the chance to make the trip.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1648 on: 08 June, 2016, 03:24:57 pm »
You must have PB'd well: you're off on a 0 while hippy's off on a 6 and Steve Irwin's off on a 1.  What happened to the seeding there  ???

« Reply #1649 on: 08 June, 2016, 03:29:56 pm »
Maybe they've been watching how much I've been drinking and seeded appropriately. :)