Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 420706 times)

Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #1675 on: 20 June, 2016, 04:27:12 pm »
Yeah, but the weird thing was I could ride 100mi, 12hr and 24hr TTs with no issue. The numb leg only appeared during 25s and 50s which seems to counter the 'ride far enough with something squashed and it'll go numb' thinking.

Yesterday's 100 was different. I've been doing these magic stretches so perhaps they've sorted one issue and caused another or perhaps the 600 the week before did some damage and it was compounded by the 100mi TT? Hard to tell. It's annoying, riding faster because more aero and then throwing a chunk of the advantage away because the human body is too feeble for my needs..

Sounds like its related to effort / power, rather than distance / time. 
Your power has presumably gone up a good bit (unless its all aeroz) - are you riding 100s now at the level that you were riding 50s a couple of years ago - with the side effects to prove it?

« Reply #1676 on: 20 June, 2016, 04:50:13 pm »
Sounds like its related to effort / power, rather than distance / time. 
Your power has presumably gone up a good bit (unless its all aeroz) - are you riding 100s now at the level that you were riding 50s a couple of years ago - with the side effects to prove it?

Nope, that's the thing, I'm faster because faster course + more aero.
My power was about 5W down on my previous 100mi PB but that's kind of to be expected when I spent so much time sitting up not pedaling!

rob

« Reply #1677 on: 20 June, 2016, 04:54:31 pm »
BTW thinking about next year and looking at hippy's comments.   My position was set up after a bike fit a couple of years ago and subsequently tweaked.   I have played with the things that I think will make me more aero, based on looking at other riders, but not a lot else.

I have looked at aerocoach and could feasibly shell out on a session with them, but what has everyone else done ?

« Reply #1678 on: 20 June, 2016, 05:06:30 pm »
BTW thinking about next year and looking at hippy's comments.   My position was set up after a bike fit a couple of years ago and subsequently tweaked.   I have played with the things that I think will make me more aero, based on looking at other riders, but not a lot else.

I have looked at aerocoach and could feasibly shell out on a session with them, but what has everyone else done ?

Bike fittings, spent hours reading through bilge on the TT forum for the odd pearl of wisdom, read Topham's book, tested stuff, bought loads of stuff that mostly made little or no difference, tweaked position a bit more...

For you I would have thought that, given you are going a good bit faster than two years ago, it would be worth looking at your position again.  Not done Aerocoach so can't comment but others seem to recommend it.

« Reply #1679 on: 20 June, 2016, 05:09:31 pm »
Nope, that's the thing, I'm faster because faster course + more aero.
My power was about 5W down on my previous 100mi PB but that's kind of to be expected when I spent so much time sitting up not pedaling!

That theory is wrong then!  When you get it sorted and pedal for the full hundred you'll get a bloody fast time - but I suppose you know that. 
5W down is a good recovery from a hilly 600 the weekend before; I thought you migh struggle to get record given that.  I did the ECCA last year a week after the Newbury 12 hour and found out I'd not recovered anything like enough. 

« Reply #1680 on: 20 June, 2016, 05:10:47 pm »
I just sacrifice a chicken at midnight on every full moon. That and read everything that anyone has ever written about going faster ever.
Aerocoach is useful but so is doing your own testing. Golden Cheetah's Aerolab module takes a lot of the grunt work out of it or even simpler you can try roll down tests.

« Reply #1681 on: 20 June, 2016, 05:15:13 pm »
That theory is wrong then!  When you get it sorted and pedal for the full hundred you'll get a bloody fast time - but I suppose you know that. 
5W down is a good recovery from a hilly 600 the weekend before; I thought you migh struggle to get record given that.  I did the ECCA last year a week after the Newbury 12 hour and found out I'd not recovered anything like enough.

My legs were pretty good after the 600. It was my sleep pattern mess and subsequent boozing that pushed me into an immune system abort and subsequent snotfest.
I think I'll try and get the 10 and the 50 records then maybe quit the TTing and see if my body does any repair. Might have to jack up my position on the TCR bike to avoid similar issues.

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #1682 on: 21 June, 2016, 10:00:31 am »
When you have got all the club TT records there are two longbarrows that you would fit on.
Depending on who is driving.
Dare you to give it a go......

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #1683 on: 21 June, 2016, 10:01:45 am »
Short ones first -there is a good course for the 10 up near Hull.
30 on the E2 ?

« Reply #1684 on: 21 June, 2016, 11:13:08 am »
When you have got all the club TT records there are two longbarrows that you would fit on.
Depending on who is driving.
Dare you to give it a go......

You want me to hang on while someone else steers? That's never gonna work. Then again, I'd probably just crash the thing if I was driving.

And the only way I'm spending 4hrs each way driving to Hull to race is for a solo 10 time and it'd better be an 18 :P

But never say never I guess. :)

« Reply #1685 on: 21 June, 2016, 12:59:26 pm »
No need to go to Hull for your record surely - you can just ride out to the Amersham road and give it a blast!

« Reply #1686 on: 21 June, 2016, 01:14:11 pm »
No need to go to Hull for your record surely - you can just ride out to the Amersham road and give it a blast!

What's the Longbarrow record?

I knocked another 30s off my 10 PB on the E2/10 but it was a bit windy for my liking. I could probably go quicker on there but I don't do enough turbo training at higher powers to help my 10 times.
It's hard to bust out 600k audaxes and still hang onto any top end speed. I spend the rest of the week trying to recover while catching up on work.

rob

« Reply #1687 on: 21 June, 2016, 01:18:37 pm »
I'm thinking of going to Hull Aug Bank Holiday weekend.   There's a slower that 22 event which I can get into.   My 25 and 10 PBs are misaligned after the other weekend.

My family live about an hour away so I can make a weekend of it.

« Reply #1688 on: 21 June, 2016, 01:23:24 pm »
Assuming I survive TCR, I wonder how long it would take before I could hit 10s quickly?

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #1689 on: 21 June, 2016, 02:23:57 pm »
Faster than me.
Best blokes longbarrow 10 I ever did was 20:30.
Current with aero stuff is 19:50.

Other numbers are:- 50:13, 1:01:14, 1:43:46, 3:50:55, 277.78, 466.72.

I'd need to do some turboing first to make it worth your while.

WCC records are a bit easier to get though, seeing as you are on a roll......

Could try for one of those first and see how it goes.

after all you already have a trikie beard   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1690 on: 21 June, 2016, 02:29:21 pm »
I can already hear the pawls pinging out of the freewheel.  ;)

« Reply #1691 on: 21 June, 2016, 02:43:45 pm »
after all you already have a trikie beard   :thumbsup:

Oh noes! I shaved before the ECCA 100 :S

« Reply #1692 on: 21 June, 2016, 02:44:40 pm »
I can already hear the pawls pinging out of the freewheel.  ;)

Yeah, you're gonna need some extra gusset welds on that thing if both of us are on it.

« Reply #1693 on: 21 June, 2016, 03:53:28 pm »

I'm sure it's no mean feat to get one of those things round a roundabout at 30mph.  I reckon you could sell a few tickets if the two of you give it shot!

« Reply #1694 on: 21 June, 2016, 03:57:31 pm »
Was it Dave Smith who once had a front wheel collapse on a sharp bend at the bottom of a ski-slope start?

« Reply #1695 on: 21 June, 2016, 05:20:57 pm »
I'm sure it's no mean feat to get one of those things round a roundabout at 30mph.  I reckon you could sell a few tickets if the two of you give it shot!

I'm usually trying to shake some feelings back into my left leg at RABs so I'm doing about 13mph not 30. :)

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #1696 on: 21 June, 2016, 10:25:25 pm »
Only made it around the turn RAB at 25mph
Did hit 42 on the way there on the start ramp.
Double freewheel should prevent pawl loss.
48 spoke front wheel might just survive.
There is nothing lightweight or aero about a longbarrow.
Well certainly not the ones i have access too.

« Reply #1697 on: 22 June, 2016, 12:36:38 am »
Someone needs to get into the shed with the carbon fibre and a load of highly noxious chemicals...

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #1698 on: 22 June, 2016, 09:33:26 am »
Noxious chemicals - way to go !

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1699 on: 24 June, 2016, 09:20:05 am »
I'm off on a 10 spot!

Admittedly, given my PB (1:58), the organiser has probably split the field, which makes me one of the fastest riders in the bottom half.  Oh well.