Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2171492 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #7575 on: 29 April, 2013, 01:44:01 pm »
Unfortunately the Mass Spec was merely rather expensive packaging for the spice rack and they wanted me to recycle it appropriately as an analytical instrument. Do I claim the worlds most expensive recycled spice rack (at about half a million GBP - comes with a free mass spec)?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #7576 on: 29 April, 2013, 01:48:54 pm »
Fettled the Inbred back into rideable condition (pedals always help in that situation, I find)

Fettled my brain into Infrastructure Architect mode ready for interview this PM.

Uploaded a load of photos and wrote the first two days of a ride report.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #7577 on: 29 April, 2013, 06:59:47 pm »
Some further fettling of my new pond. The dig is now done and I am building a little wall round the edge of it to raise it out of the ground and prevent ground water run off.

I think I will sack myself as a quantity surveyor. I ended up needing a second skip for soil because I failed to realise that 7 cubic metres of soil becomes much bigger when you have dug it out of the ground and won't fit in the same volume of skip as the hole it came out of. I also bought 6 bags of sand and 2 of cement and have now realised I actually need 16 bags of sand and 4 of cement. I hope I don't run out of bricks or coping stones  :facepalm:

« Reply #7578 on: 29 April, 2013, 07:01:45 pm »
Replaced three inners, two brake and one gear on my son's mtb.   It needs the front caliper shimming and a replacement chain too but that will have to wait for another day. 

« Reply #7579 on: 29 April, 2013, 07:51:32 pm »
Some further fettling of my new pond. The dig is now done and I am building a little wall round the edge of it to raise it out of the ground and prevent ground water run off.

I think I will sack myself as a quantity surveyor. I ended up needing a second skip for soil because I failed to realise that 7 cubic metres of soil becomes much bigger when you have dug it out of the ground and won't fit in the same volume of skip as the hole it came out of. I also bought 6 bags of sand and 2 of cement and have now realised I actually need 16 bags of sand and 4 of cement. I hope I don't run out of bricks or coping stones  :facepalm:

When we laid the concrete floor in MFWHTBAB's parents' bathroom, we were one bag of cement and two of ballast short, leading to a dash to B and Q to get it before the rest set too hard to make a good join.  A little research online showed that whereas a standard bag of stuff in the building trade is 25kg and marked as such, B and Q are selling bags marked "Large" with no weight, and are in fact about 22kg.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #7580 on: 29 April, 2013, 09:58:35 pm »
For a little project at work (went in on my day off, I did), I made this:

Also, one from a John Smiths can, and a couple of others...

« Reply #7581 on: 30 April, 2013, 08:25:01 am »

When we laid the concrete floor in MFWHTBAB's parents' bathroom, we were one bag of cement and two of ballast short, leading to a dash to B and Q to get it before the rest set too hard to make a good join.  A little research online showed that whereas a standard bag of stuff in the building trade is 25kg and marked as such, B and Q are selling bags marked "Large" with no weight, and are in fact about 22kg.

Ah thanks for the tip, I think I will go to Wickes today instead of B&Q then since the bags cost the same at both! If I get it wrong it's a long drive to the nearest town/ city to fetch more, whereas I am at work now and can get it on the way home without an extra 40 mile round trip  :)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #7582 on: 30 April, 2013, 09:14:18 am »
Bar tape back onto Mrs T's Carlton (swapped the bars a couple of weeks ago and was waiting for some X-top levers).

Now it is ready to rock and roll, may need to replace the tape, though, for some with a bit of cushioning in it, the current tape, though liked by Mrs T has little or no cushioning.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #7583 on: 30 April, 2013, 11:49:46 am »
Could you fit some old inner tube under the tape to add some cushioning?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #7584 on: 30 April, 2013, 12:46:37 pm »
Major fettling day.
Tightened the chain ring bolts on the Spare Parts bike.
New chain on the Bianchi ready for the Classico Boretti at the weekend.
Repaired Windows so it now recognises that I do have files!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #7585 on: 30 April, 2013, 10:08:05 pm »
Built a pair of Pacenti SL23 rims onto Ultegra hubs with Sapim Laser all round except DSR are Sapim Race, I've been intrigued by the recent wider rims trend so figured I'd try some.

« Reply #7586 on: 01 May, 2013, 05:46:18 pm »

MA essay written, referenced, indexed, printed, partially colour printed, bound and cover-sheeted!
In duplicate!

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #7587 on: 01 May, 2013, 07:57:12 pm »
New levers, blingy white cable outers, cable inners and bar tape on the project Raleigh. It's finally starting to look like a bike again :D

(Confession: I've made a pig's ear of the bar tape job, but meh. I've seen worse, and I'm sure it'll get done again soon enough.)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #7588 on: 01 May, 2013, 08:09:16 pm »
Written a MovieOS interface for some of our software in preparation for a Royal Society of Edinburgh masterclass at the weekend. The sort of thing you see on Abbie's mass spectrometers in NCIS with big bold graphics. Maybe I should add a fanfare too? Learning a lot about the latest CSS incarnations.

The raw data is simply chucked back to the web client as JSON and the rest is done client side with JQuery and CSS.

And a picture or two..

Data input:

Movie OS BLAST search by davidmamartin, on Flickr
The technicolour data entry with character filtering and case insensitivity was  an entertaining challenge.

Results (from bogus data as a test):

Movie OS BLAST search by davidmamartin, on Flickr
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #7589 on: 01 May, 2013, 09:19:43 pm »
Layed a paving slab base for the beehives in the out apiary and actually did some work on the bike powered apple scratter project.

« Reply #7590 on: 01 May, 2013, 09:50:51 pm »
Layed a paving slab base for the beehives in the out apiary and actually did some work on the bike powered apple scratter project.

Oooh, what's an apple scratter? Is it something for cutting up apples for juicing? Sounds like the sort of thing we need at St Nicks for when we do juicing on Apple Day...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7591 on: 01 May, 2013, 10:58:10 pm »
Using a magnifying lamp, Mk 1 fingernail and a black sock for contrast, I've tediously scraped all the tiny dots of bright yellow spray paint[1] from the lenses of my glasses, then given them a soak in the ultrasonic cleaner.  This should prove much less irritating should the day-star continue to put in an appearance on bike rides.

[1] Side-effect of some previous fettling.

fuzzy

« Reply #7592 on: 02 May, 2013, 09:27:16 am »
Not today but yesterday late afternoon I fettled 10m2 of lawn.

I did some preventative maintanance (hydrating) on it at 6:45 this morning.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #7593 on: 02 May, 2013, 11:22:40 am »

Shirly there must be a hosepipe ban by now!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

fuzzy

« Reply #7594 on: 02 May, 2013, 02:22:08 pm »

Shirly there must be a hosepipe ban by now!

Not yet plus I can haz watering can ;)

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #7595 on: 04 May, 2013, 06:10:35 pm »
Flipped the stem on my Tifosi.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #7596 on: 04 May, 2013, 06:18:13 pm »
Swapped the knobblies for some semi-knobblies with a slick middle section and shimmed the front disk caliper on the lad's mtb.  I also dialled in the shocks to be as firm as possible.   He's cycle-commuting back from his night shift in Northampton tomorrow.

Replaced my front colander tube ready for miles tomorrow.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7597 on: 04 May, 2013, 06:30:07 pm »
Stripped and cleaned the Sturmey-Archer SRC3 hub on the Inbred, since it's about run in after 250 miles.  My, there are a lot of parts inside.  It's all pretty logical though.

The brake shoes are ingenious; they appear to be very hard cast steel that has been manufactured as a continuous ring and then deliberately broken in two places, so when you're not braking they retract into a perfect ring shape again with no drag.  The same technique is used for big ends on engine connecting rods.

The braking surface is very close to the (large, SRAM style) LH axle bearing; it must get some serious heat.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7598 on: 04 May, 2013, 06:39:02 pm »
Fitted some PDM530 spd's on the front of the tandem, I'm much happier now I'm clipped in 8)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #7599 on: 04 May, 2013, 08:43:13 pm »
Actually finally checked the tyre preasures on the crappy hybrid as it was quite difficult to pedal.  Less than 30 psi in each wheel.  Supposed to be between 80 and 100 psi.