Author Topic: Tall tents  (Read 3447 times)

Tall tents
« on: 08 June, 2017, 08:08:40 pm »
Mrs B has been having an awful time of it with a bad back lately.  A short camping trip using the lightweight tents last month was pretty difficult for her, the result of this is that unless we can make her more comfortable when cycle touring the big trip we have planned for the summer could be in jeopardy.

We’ve already bought a big fat Outwell sleeping mat to replace the usual Thermarest but we still need to do something about the tent.  Not wanting to spend a fortune it seems the best option might be the Wildcountry Zephyros 3 Living.
http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/weekend-touring-tents/zephyros-3-living-tent-/

Does anyone have any experience of this tent or have another suggestion?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Tall tents
« Reply #1 on: 08 June, 2017, 08:14:09 pm »
I've got the Terra Nova Space 2 and the Zephyros 3. Haven't used the latter yet, but I believe it to be similar to the Space 2.

I have used the Space 2 a number of times. It's a bit of a pain to pitch, and I doubt that it's rated for a windy night, but you can stand up in it, which is a great advantage. It's also waterproof, and the srt of quality that you'd expect from Terra Nova.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 08 June, 2017, 10:21:57 pm »
For weekend events when we know the gigantic circus tent (aka Zempire Jetstream) won't be portable, right or allowed we have an Etesian 4 (http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/etesian-4-tent/) which works fine for my 6ft 2.

The other option also is a good tarp and poles. Gives a lot of extra standing/sitting room regardless of the tent being used for sleeping.

« Reply #3 on: 08 June, 2017, 10:48:17 pm »
Our friends in the ALC are very happy with the Etesian. Neither of them is young or small.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 08 June, 2017, 11:22:26 pm »
6'2" and a TH Laser Space 2 (now discontinued) works for me.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 09 June, 2017, 01:34:26 pm »
The space 2 looks uncannily like the Zephyros 3 Living, not surprising though given that the Terra Nova designs tend to filter down to Wild County.

We did consider tents like the  Etesian 4 but decided that we’d be better splitting up into two tents rather than have me, Mrs B, our 15 year old daughter and 7 year old son all in the same tent.  Looking to the future I suspect our daughter won’t be doing many more cycle camping trips with us.  I that situation me and Mrs B could use the tall Zephyros while the lad has the little Zephyros.

« Reply #6 on: 13 June, 2017, 11:23:06 am »
While away camping with our local tandem group last weekend I has discussing tall tents and was offered loan of a Laser Space 2 for the summer.  Wonderful the way these sort of things turn out among likeminded groups of cyclists.

« Reply #7 on: 13 June, 2017, 12:03:29 pm »
If we're talking multiple tents then once again I put forward a tarp as the easy way to add a tall area for non-horizontal activities.

« Reply #8 on: 13 June, 2017, 07:42:39 pm »
I couldn’t agree with you more, in fact the photo below shows the setup that I thought would suit us just fine.  However Mrs B had significant back trouble when sleeping in the Hoolie tunnel tent recently and if I am to preserve our coming European tour changes must be made.

On our camping trip last weekend she tried out the new Outwell mat and an absolutely massive military issue 2 season bag I recently blagged and had a good couple of nights.  That was in the big family tent rather than the smaller tents but the hope is she’ll be ok in the Laser Space 2 with the afore mentioned bag and mat.
Previously she’s been fine in the Hoolie so once her back is fixed (surgery later this year) the height problem should go way.

IMG_20170429_190442264 by ;), on Flickr

« Reply #9 on: 01 July, 2017, 06:56:23 pm »
I've just had the Laser Space 2 up in the garden and Mrs B was most impressed indeed. I suspect that once we've handed it back to its owner she'll be wanting to buy one.

« Reply #10 on: 29 July, 2017, 09:59:00 am »
Just used a Vango Galaxy 300 for a month. Decent sleeping area and high living area. 5.6kg
Only downsides are the lack of living area sewn in groundsheet. The supplied one clips in and doesn't extend up the walls much so when it rains it drips off the fly into the inside. I just unclipped the groundsheet and folded it  back inside. The door part is poorly designed and exacerbates the problem. However it is big, high and light for what it is, Cheap too - as low as £210

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11 on: 29 July, 2017, 10:14:29 am »
I saw my first other Lasr Space 2 in the wild yesterday. Never seen one other than mine before!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #12 on: 27 October, 2017, 09:41:15 am »
I'm very pleased with my Laser Space 2 also. Very durable and lightweight.