Author Topic: Scarborough-Whitby cinder track?  (Read 4749 times)

Scarborough-Whitby cinder track?
« on: 15 November, 2018, 04:24:44 pm »
Anyone done this relatively recently? What condition is the surface in?  I'm thinking of doing a ride from Scarborough to Whitby and back (poss via Dalby forest way), when next up.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Scarborough-Whitby cinder track?
« Reply #1 on: 19 November, 2018, 01:35:09 pm »
I did this alleged cycle route in the Summer.  Some very dodgy stretches, with channels and potholes where the surface has been washed away.  Loose gravel, at least one big sudden drop which could have been deadly if I hadn't been paying attention.  I wrote to Scarborough council about the condition of the route, apparently there is a proposal to repair and upgrade it but a local has objected.  There are a few houses along the route, maybe he lives there and objects to the horror of cyclists going past his house.

One the other hand if you don't mind a bit of a challenge, fantastic views in places over the coast and out to sea; and a nice cafe at Ravenscar.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2 on: 19 November, 2018, 01:43:22 pm »
I did this alleged cycle route in the Summer.  Some very dodgy stretches, with channels and potholes where the surface has been washed away.  Loose gravel, at least one big sudden drop which could have been deadly if I hadn't been paying attention.  I wrote to Scarborough council about the condition of the route, apparently there is a proposal to repair and upgrade it but a local has objected.  There are a few houses along the route, maybe he lives there and objects to the horror of cyclists going past his house.

One the other hand if you don't mind a bit of a challenge, fantastic views in places over the coast and out to sea; and a nice cafe at Ravenscar.

That sounds like a lame excuse for no action.  There was a proposal for Sustrans to take over the path, I think the objection was that sustrans wanted to bring the standard of the path up to something more approaching a tarmac path in finish and width - and that's where the problems started (high speed cyclists and damage to wildlife I recall were the cited things that were the problem).

The current position seems to be here:
https://www.thescarboroughnews.co.uk/news/on-the-right-track-to-restore-the-historic-railway-line-between-scarborough-and-whitby-1-9369961

I'm certainly interested in cycling it sometime and it seems to give a great alternative to the A171 etc.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3 on: 19 November, 2018, 02:18:11 pm »
Thanks for that.  Shame about the condition.  I'd heard some renovation was afoot sometime back - wasn't sure what had happened.  Also just found there are also some reviews on tripadvisor including "...75% good - 25% appalling and in some places unsafe for cycling even on a mountain bike. Do not use a road bike under any circumstances."  Sounds like a challenge...   ;)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #4 on: 19 November, 2018, 04:50:27 pm »
Thanks for that.  Shame about the condition.  I'd heard some renovation was afoot sometime back - wasn't sure what had happened.  Also just found there are also some reviews on tripadvisor including "...75% good - 25% appalling and in some places unsafe for cycling even on a mountain bike. Do not use a road bike under any circumstances."  Sounds like a challenge...   ;)

I rode it in August this year.
Spa Cycle Tourer. Loaded for cycle camping. 700*28 tyres.
Left Scarbados on good quality tarmac cycle path... which descended into 'cinder path', which descended in hardpacked mud path, which descended into rutted mud footpath, which descended into mud singletrack with bricks in it. Then the farm gates started. Descended might not be the accurate word - the paths climbs steadily from Scarbados to Ravenscar - when suddenly the whole grinding experience is transformed into glory by the view of Robin Hood's Bay. Which is then immediately ruined by the boulder/cobble/brick strewn mud/gravel descent.
I returned by the road because I couldn't face riding the same track twice. However - I was glad I had ridden it once. If only for the view of the bay.

Some photos from the 24 hour adventure: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmwcoavt

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5 on: 19 November, 2018, 05:17:43 pm »

I rode it in August this year.
Spa Cycle Tourer. Loaded for cycle camping. 700*28 tyres.
Left Scarbados on good quality tarmac cycle path... which descended into 'cinder path', which descended in hardpacked mud path, which descended into rutted mud footpath, which descended into mud singletrack with bricks in it. Then the farm gates started. Descended might not be the accurate word - the paths climbs steadily from Scarbados to Ravenscar - when suddenly the whole grinding experience is transformed into glory by the view of Robin Hood's Bay. Which is then immediately ruined by the boulder/cobble/brick strewn mud/gravel descent.
I returned by the road because I couldn't face riding the same track twice. However - I was glad I had ridden it once. If only for the view of the bay.

oooo... thanks for that, I had just plotted a quick n dirty 200km DIY including the track starting in Boro and I will now manage my expectations! Sounds less than ideal for a 200km, unless you're Deano who is probably plotting to work it in to the 2020 MGF ride! LOL
Regards,

Joergen

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 19 November, 2018, 05:19:21 pm »
Sounds like a fun day out on the mountain bike...

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #7 on: 19 November, 2018, 05:23:10 pm »
For audax, I see no problem with the A171 depending on timing. I found it to be an interesting ride with just enough undulation to give a balance between views, climbs and sweeping descents. All main road so no need to brake anywhere... until the last roundabout before Scarbados. The ride to Brid isn't bad either. I'd be interested in your 200 route. :)

Fun day out on a fast ride - but an even more fun 24 hours if you plan it with an overnight stop in Whitby or RHB. After work to teatime worked for me. :)

« Reply #8 on: 24 November, 2018, 04:45:02 pm »
Thanks for the info Graeme.  May just try Scarbs to Ravenscar-cafe (mebbe RHB) and back for pootle on the old MTB* since it has 45mm tyres and mudguards...

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #9 on: 24 November, 2018, 05:02:30 pm »

Left Scarbados on good quality tarmac cycle path...

I lived in Scarborough for six years (1994 -2000) and rode the track once. Didn't like it at all. It is as described in this topic.

« Reply #10 on: 29 November, 2018, 01:17:34 pm »

The local is actually Pete Tomkins, aka Mr Crud, colour me cynical but I suspect he has an interest mucky cycleways

https://road.cc/content/news/229404-video-does-cinder-track-require-extensive-renovation

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #11 on: 29 November, 2018, 02:31:57 pm »
Yes it is rideable. But no, it isn't suitable for everyone.

I listened to Sustrans on radio 4 recently, they are interested in making these routes accessible to everyone, not just those with teh skilz. I managed it on a loaded tourer, but I wouldn't recommend it. Which leaves the alternative as the A171 for those who don't have his bike handling skills or those who don't want to push their bikes along difficult sections.

[Edit: his video didn't represent the really challenging sections, such as the downhill from Ravenscar to Robin Hoods Bay]

« Reply #12 on: 29 November, 2018, 07:15:00 pm »
TBH removing 'hundreds of trees' would seem to be a shame, to put it one way.  So perhaps an effective longlasting repair, rather than the widening + ditches sustrans 'upgrade'...

I'll probably be on the cinder track while some of you are doing Tan Hill, and few days after iddu on his epic winter moors excursion, by the looks of things...   :)

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13 on: 29 November, 2018, 11:17:37 pm »
For audax, I see no problem with the A171 depending on timing. I found it to be an interesting ride with just enough undulation to give a balance between views, climbs and sweeping descents. All main road so no need to brake anywhere... until the last roundabout before Scarbados. The ride to Brid isn't bad either. I'd be interested in your 200 route. :)

Fun day out on a fast ride - but an even more fun 24 hours if you plan it with an overnight stop in Whitby or RHB. After work to teatime worked for me. :)

Sorry G - been looking for the 200k I planned and it looks like I didn't save it :(  Maybe I'll have another look at recreating it
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #14 on: 29 November, 2018, 11:29:01 pm »

That sounds like a lame excuse for no action.  There was a proposal for Sustrans to take over the path, I think the objection was that sustrans wanted to bring the standard of the path up to something more approaching a tarmac path in finish and width - and that's where the problems started (high speed cyclists and damage to wildlife I recall were the cited things that were the problem).

The current position seems to be here:
https://www.thescarboroughnews.co.uk/news/on-the-right-track-to-restore-the-historic-railway-line-between-scarborough-and-whitby-1-9369961

I'm certainly interested in cycling it sometime and it seems to give a great alternative to the A171 etc.

Positively, the review is being led by a Councillor Lynsey - should be a pretty plush outcome

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15 on: 02 December, 2018, 07:07:56 pm »
That looks gorgeous. The views, the tracks (apart from the bricks... ) and the whole adventure. But I have to ask, what on earth is the brown stuff in your tuck box in this photo?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/147630562@N04/45957224911/in/album-72157703788959185/
It looks like maggots!  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #16 on: 02 December, 2018, 08:42:14 pm »
Looks like he caught a Nescafe.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 02 December, 2018, 09:25:35 pm »
Yeah, looks like dehydrated Brown Drink™

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #18 on: 02 December, 2018, 09:29:08 pm »
Looks like he caught a Nescafe.

#Coffeeneur

« Reply #19 on: 02 December, 2018, 09:31:27 pm »
I did this in 2012 (?) after one of the York - Whitby rides & a days goth spotting.   As I had a train to catch at Scarborough  I did it at speed , on a drop barred tourer & thought I'd have been much happier on the MTB!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #20 on: 06 July, 2019, 06:17:30 pm »
In Scarbs this w/e, so managed to get out for an early ride to Ravenscar.  I woke before my alarm, just as the sun was rising over South Bay.  Set out just after 6am and really enjoyed the ride up to Ravenscar.   Pleasantly surprised by the sections of smooth cinder and very slightly damp compacted mud.   Some work has been done on a couple of bits by the looks of things.  Meeting 22 hounds on a morning outing was a first.  View over Robin Hood's bay was great, and a yorkshire gent walking by, said "you could look at this view forever". Didn't have time to press on to Whitby, and headed back to Scarbs on the cinder track again for second breakfast.

Moar pics here...  https://www.flickr.com/photos/25983110@N05/albums/72157709469527717

IMG_20190706_044759054-001 by ao, on Flickr

IMG_20190706_072355776_BURST008 by ao, on Flickr

IMG_20190706_074108853_HDR by ao, on Flickr

IMG_20190706_080240381 by ao, on Flickr

IMG_20190706_091604418 by ao, on Flickr

IMG_20190706_091819600 by ao, on Flickr

IMG_20190706_094511819 by ao, on Flickr

« Reply #21 on: 07 July, 2019, 09:27:15 am »
Nice pix Andy.  The condition of the track looks a lot better than it was when I tried it.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #22 on: 07 July, 2019, 09:29:56 am »
Lovely pictures Andy. Days like this are wonderful.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23 on: 07 July, 2019, 10:10:40 am »
Lovely pix. The track looks gorgeous and the bay – well, it's such a bay-shaped bay!

Hounds accompanied by country gentlemen in ties and beige on sturdy bicycles is definitely a thing you see from time to time. Just occasionally the sturdy bicycle might even be a Pashley or something of that ilk.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #24 on: 07 July, 2019, 11:52:42 am »
Thanks.   :)   Just to say that the light / loose gravel track at ravenscar is not the cinder track, but goes down next to the hotel entrance, to the golf course.  I just went along it for 100-200metres for the view point, before retracing my route...

IMG_20190706_080324365 by ao, on Flickr

I enjoyed the the welly / MTB combo that the hound keepers were employing...   :)

IMG_20190706_072355776_BURST003-001 by ao, on Flickr