Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 2945574 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Just did an escape room in Ely.  Me, SWMBO, daughter, 2 carers and son, solved it in 45 mins, first group to do so today apparently.  The guy running it said 58% get out in an average of 54mins.

Good fun really, apparently they'll have a new puzzle in the autumn
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Is there an 'IIdiots' thread?  Couldn't find one.

A couple moved up from Cornwall last year and bought the rather nice large house on our street right next to the pub.  This week they've put it back on the market.
Why?
Because pub.   :facepalm:

Did you not notice it when you bought it?

Idiots.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
My English BiL has just gone down to the open mic night at the pub. To sing Irish songs to the good people of Llandysul. On the day that Ireland beat Wales in the rugby in Cardiff.

I'll nip along in a bit to see how he is.   ;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
A topical and painfully accurate juxtaposition in my, now rather old*, pocket Greek/English dictionary

Βρεταννικός  - British
Βρεφικός      - Infantile, childish.

*1983. ΕΚΔΟΤΙΚΟΣ ΟΙΚΟΣ "ΑΣΤΗΡ",  ΑΛ. & Ε. ΠΑΠΑΔΗΜΤΡΙΟΥ, ΟΔΟΣ ΛΥΚΟΥΡΓΙΟΥ 10 - ΑΘΗΝΑΙ
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #24404 on: 07 September, 2019, 11:07:42 am »
This should be in the PBP2019 section but couldn't see a "random" thread there, so:

I have just learnt that a chum of mine packed at Loudeac because he overslept.  He overslept because, offered a bed at a spectator's house,  he was so tired that he forgot to ask to be woken up in two hours and slept seven.

Having known the bloke for years, that's the truth.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #24406 on: 07 September, 2019, 05:25:41 pm »
Just scored a perfect condition Herman Miller Aeron chair for the princely sum of £46.00, delivered.
Result.

ETA: No zeros missing from that post.

« Reply #24407 on: 07 September, 2019, 10:58:16 pm »
You had one job, part 3749...

Farcical scenes at Stade de France. Kick off delayed after they played Andorra’s national anthem instead of Albania’s. Announcer just apologised for the delay but he apologised to... Armenia!
https://twitter.com/mattspiro/status/1170409395525758976

;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #24408 on: 08 September, 2019, 08:20:17 am »
Just scored a perfect condition Herman Miller Aeron chair for the princely sum of £46.00, delivered.
Result.

ETA: No zeros missing from that post.

Flippineck. Even my shitty IKEA office chair cost more than that.

Result!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24409 on: 08 September, 2019, 11:02:10 am »
Qu: When does finding a dead rat in the cellar make you happy?

A: When you thought the pong came from a cracked waste pipe.

Happier yet: it was a field rat, not a resident.

citoyen

« Reply #24410 on: 09 September, 2019, 11:23:51 am »
Isn't it amazing that there's never been a film called Gaslight?

*shamelessly lifted from facebook

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24411 on: 09 September, 2019, 01:57:58 pm »
Good Lord you're right! But I could have sworn...

citoyen

« Reply #24412 on: 09 September, 2019, 02:05:18 pm »
Good Lord you're right! But I could have sworn...

#fakenews

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24413 on: 10 September, 2019, 09:57:42 pm »
I see smart watches are so smart there are calls to ban ALL watches from examination halls.

During exams, I used to take my specs and watch off and retreat to the bubble of my desk for two or three hours, portioning my time as needed. Wall clocks were too far away for myopic me.

I would really miss my watch! (A nice big clockwork Timex 'boys' watch, with a second hand...)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24414 on: 10 September, 2019, 10:16:12 pm »
They're banning hearing aids too.  On the basis that you could use them to cheat in approximately the same way that you could with most hearing aids made in the last 40 years (ie. playing a signal into them over Bluetooth or FM or induction or whatever from some hidden device in the immediate area).  It probably helps not to be deaf enough to need hearing aids, lest the audio leakage give the game away.

Like most clever exam-cheating methods, it's more effort than revising properly, and only works for the sort of subject that can be usefully aided by a short list of key facts.  A smartwatch that you could interact with is likely to be more useful, and won't require you to knit a jumper with binary-coded data in the pattern, train a shitehawk to jump on the roof in morse, or molish a new processor for an exam-legal calculator or anything.

The people who get caught aren't the clever ones, they're the desperate ones who do stupid obvious things like stuff notes down their trousers and go to the loo a lot.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24415 on: 11 September, 2019, 08:29:08 am »
The people who get caught aren't the clever ones, they're the desperate ones who do stupid obvious things like stuff notes down their trousers and go to the loo a lot.

Huh. I'm pretty sure I was taking exams at uni we weren't allowed out to the loo. In the minutes just before things got under way, invigilators loved trotting out the line about "speak now or forever hold your piece".

ian

« Reply #24416 on: 11 September, 2019, 09:29:22 am »
The trick in my day was to write important stuff in biro on your arms and belly, surreptitiously rolling up sleeves and peeking between your shirt or blouse buttons.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24417 on: 11 September, 2019, 01:23:21 pm »
The trick in my day was to write important stuff in biro on your arms and belly, surreptitiously rolling up sleeves and peeking between your shirt or blouse buttons.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PM5rgaNkbEo&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/PM5rgaNkbEo&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/PM5rgaNkbEo

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24419 on: 14 September, 2019, 03:08:48 pm »
I HATE loo seats with a gap at the front!

They remind me of school and public toilets.

If something is made of solid gold, you might hope that it's more comfortably equipped!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24420 on: 14 September, 2019, 04:28:56 pm »
...and heated.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #24421 on: 14 September, 2019, 05:04:51 pm »
Flush was a magic toilet
The finest in the land
And alabaster seraphim adorned his marble stand
His pipes were made of silver, his cistern was the same
And down came sparkling water when you pulled is golden chain.

Sorry
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24422 on: 14 September, 2019, 05:17:29 pm »

If something is made of solid gold, you might hop that it's more comfortably equipped!

Given the title of the piece, the USAnian-standard inferior seat and unnerving mains water flush arrangement would seem appropriate.  Ideally it should be contained within a cubicle that barely prevents the outside observer from seeing it.

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their
« Reply #24423 on: 14 September, 2019, 07:06:43 pm »

If something is made of solid gold, you might hop that it's more comfortably equipped!

Given the title of the piece, the USAnian-standard inferior seat and unnerving mains water flush arrangement would seem appropriate.  Ideally it should be contained within a cubicle that barely prevents the outside observer from seeing it.
It never ceases to amaze me just how lacking in aesthetic awareness the usanians are. Even when compared with the ‘Nuevo riche’ of Europe the mericans manage to demonstrate a total failure of taste. All those resources and all that space and they consistently manage to totally miss the point.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24424 on: 15 September, 2019, 09:52:36 am »
Yesterday my son and some friends took part in a six-hour gaming session to raise money (through some livestreaming platform) for a charity his friend's mum works for. One of the games was so gloriously nerdy (I called it geeky but he corrected me, so it's officially nerdy) that I'm sure it will find fans here. It's a board game called Power Grid, which does just what it says: players bid for and build power stations, resources, distribution networks and houses to power. The resources include coal, oil, uranium and renewable, at various sliding prices.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.