Author Topic: Small victories  (Read 14675 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Small victories
« on: 30 June, 2019, 02:13:02 pm »
I found my pipe cutter. Only took 20 minutes of looking.

(Finding one's pipe cutter might not be considered an achievement for the Jureks of this world who keep their tools well ordered, but...)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Re: Small victories
« Reply #1 on: 30 June, 2019, 02:29:25 pm »
 ;D
It'll come as no surprise to you then, that I know exactly where both of my tube cutters are, as well as the location of a replacement cutting wheel.
In the drawer yclept 'Cutting tools', of course.
Embossed Dymo label on the drawer an' everyfink.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 30 June, 2019, 02:41:00 pm »
I saw the knob on mine yesterday from a distance and thought "WTF that?"  Investigated... "Oh yes, that".

I only bought the thing a month ago. :facepalm:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3 on: 30 June, 2019, 03:24:47 pm »
. . . my two pipe cutters (one with large-ish knob and one very compact for restricted spaces) will be in the dedicated "plumbing tool box" along with the gaz blowlamp, piezo lighter, solder, flux, spanners etc and a range of copper and compression fittings.

Current task is to make a plywood case to house my new router and its range of bits - everything in its place makes sense and life so much simpler :thumbsup:

Rob

« Reply #4 on: 30 June, 2019, 03:34:52 pm »
I saw the knob on mine yesterday from a distance and thought "WTF that?"  Investigated... "Oh yes, that".

I only bought the thing a month ago. :facepalm"
With that, and the early morning greeting, have  you considered deploying corrective lenses?  :P

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 30 June, 2019, 03:49:16 pm »
AFAIK giglamps do nothing much for the memory.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 02 July, 2019, 04:23:59 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 02 July, 2019, 06:45:49 pm »
I broke my pipe cutter a few years ago, but I had to search the Cupboard Of Doom for some strimmer line last week, which turned into a full-scale tidying up and cull of dead bicycle tyres and assorted car stuff (haven't owned a car since 2007) I expect will become really handy some time next month.

Halfway through this operation, the strimmer line was found!

« Reply #8 on: 04 July, 2019, 09:53:29 pm »
I've finally cut up the fibreglass canoe that's been on Google Earth views of my garage roof since the beginning of time. (Previous thread somewhere on yacf gives details).
It's now a pile of fibreglass bits on my drive which will probably sit there until either a) my kids have to sell the house to pay care home fees, or b) I work out when the local tip is open (seems to be based on moon phasing)

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

citoyen

« Reply #9 on: 25 September, 2019, 05:02:36 pm »
I bought a couple of 'ripe and ready' avocados for lunch yesterday but they felt a bit firm so I didn't dare cut into either.

Took the chance on one for today's lunch, and it was absolutely perfect - neither too firm nor too soft.

Fingers crossed the second won't be past edible by tomorrow...

ian

« Reply #10 on: 25 September, 2019, 08:29:49 pm »
That doesn't compute. They're never edible.

« Reply #11 on: 25 September, 2019, 09:03:18 pm »
I bought a couple of 'ripe and ready' avocados for lunch yesterday but they felt a bit firm so I didn't dare cut into either.

Took the chance on one for today's lunch, and it was absolutely perfect - neither too firm nor too soft.

Fingers crossed the second won't be past edible by tomorrow...

Don't confuse an avocado  with a conference pear, for which the moment of ripeness is approximately 3 Planck units.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 25 September, 2019, 09:35:15 pm »
Conference pears still stone hard in my fruit bowl after 8 days. Just about managed to cut one up this morning. It was OK.

citoyen

« Reply #13 on: 11 July, 2020, 05:19:26 pm »
Was about to order a new bottom bracket for my cross bike. Then, while looking for something entirely unrelated, I found a spare bottom bracket that I ordered some time ago and had completely forgotten about.

« Reply #14 on: 11 July, 2020, 05:20:48 pm »
Yeah...I'm at that age too.

citoyen

« Reply #15 on: 11 July, 2020, 06:58:47 pm »
What I really can’t fathom is why I ever bought a bottom bracket I obviously didn’t need.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 11 July, 2020, 07:15:19 pm »
What I really can’t fathom is why I ever bought a bottom bracket I obviously didn’t need.

How's the one on your cross bike doing?  (just a hunch)

citoyen

« Reply #17 on: 11 July, 2020, 08:50:18 pm »

How's the one on your cross bike doing?  (just a hunch)
Well, it was doing fine until I removed the crank for routine maintenance and the bearings came out with it.

The only reason I hadn’t already ordered a new BB was because I was debating whether or not to attempt to put the bearings back rather than replace it.

Finding the spare BB makes it an easy decision.

Most of my bikes take a Shimano HTII road  type BB, so it’s hard to know which one I had in mind when I bought it.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #18 on: 11 July, 2020, 09:03:22 pm »
I broke my pipe cutter a few years ago, but I had to search the Cupboard Of Doom for some strimmer line last week, which turned into a full-scale tidying up and cull of dead bicycle tyres and assorted car stuff (haven't owned a car since 2007) I expect will become really handy some time next month.

Halfway through this operation, the strimmer line was found!

For me, the discovery of the item for which the Search was Organdised signals that the search is over.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ian

« Reply #19 on: 13 July, 2020, 09:56:14 am »
Oddly, I think I need a bottom bracket and was going to buy one about two years ago (or pay someone, like I'm going to fit a bottom bracket, ha), but the bike with the wobbly crank is still in the garage, still wobbly.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #20 on: 25 September, 2020, 07:09:11 am »
[bone-headed-ness excised]

Yesterday I managed to reduce my performance review from a scheduled half an hour to a few seconds under five minutes.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

citoyen

« Reply #21 on: 25 September, 2020, 07:57:05 am »

citoyen

« Reply #22 on: 07 October, 2020, 02:32:00 pm »
I just worked out the solution to a problem that has been bugging me for months.

We upload our pages to the printer through an Indesign plugin. This creates a print ready PDF, and automatically converts images to the correct colour profile as part of the process, so you don't even need to do that for yourself.

Only trouble is, the system has trouble handling certain image types. The ones that have been giving me particular grief are monochrome line art illustrations (in eps format). For some reason, it won't convert these from RGB to CMYK automatically, so you have to convert them manually before uploading or the printer will reject them. Only trouble is, the converted images end up with >300% ink coverage, so again the printer rejects them... and this has been absolutely baffling me. This really shouldn't be an issue with vector images, should it?

The thing I just worked out is that the reason for this is because Illustrator is converting the RGB black to a four-colour black rather than a true black, so fixing the problem is as simple as adjusting the swatch details to set CMY to 0 and K to 100.

Tbh, I should probably be posting this in the 'I'm a fecking div' thread. It's that bleeding obvious. FFS.  :facepalm:

ian

« Reply #23 on: 07 October, 2020, 03:01:26 pm »
Doesn't preflight pick that one up? RGB to CMYK always stuffs up pure black and white. I am sure that in a time long, long ago and in a galaxy far, far away 'Force True Black' used to be a setting.

I don't care anymore, I do everything in RGB these days, a beneficial curse of our pretend paperless world. I almost miss fucking up spot colours.

citoyen

« Reply #24 on: 07 October, 2020, 03:22:46 pm »
Doesn't preflight pick that one up?

I've set my preflight profile to flag up registration colour but that only picks it up if it's 400%. I'll have to see if there's an option to set a custom threshold...

RGB to CMYK always stuffs up pure black and white.

You'd imagine I might have known that already. It's not exactly esoteric knowledge.

Anyway, it's very satisfying when you work these things out for yourself, hence posting it in this thread.