Author Topic: A satisfactory result from my local council  (Read 1437 times)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
A satisfactory result from my local council
« on: 24 September, 2009, 05:31:14 pm »
Last Friday I had a council vehicle overtake and then pull in alongside me, it got so close that my brake lever was rubbing the side of the vehicle (and my sphincter was rubbing the inside of my underwear). Fortunately I didn't come off, but when I caught up with it 3/4 mile later the driver initially said that she gave me six inches and then told me that I was imagining it.

Rather than argue the point with someone who was in denial* I gave her my card and asked her to get her boss to call me. He called me on Monday and after a brief chat I emailed him the notes that I had written on Friday morning, whilst it was still fresh in my mind.

Today I got an email from him:

Dear Mr X,

Thank you for your e-mail on the incident which took place last Friday morning. Sorry for the delayed reply, but in order to get a clearer picture I needed to interview the Driver, her report is consistent with what you have written in certain parts, however she has denied making contact with your Bicycle, and is adamant that she did not pull in straight after overtaking you, but I can see the logic in what you have said and based on the probability that the incident may have occurred I have made arrangement for the Driver to be assessed by our driving instructor on her perception to Cyclists and motor bikes.

I hope the arrangement I have made will highlight to the Driver the caution needed when overtaking Cyclist, and a Memo will be sent to all our other Drivers on this issue.

If you need to speak to me further on this matter, I am available on XXX XXXX XXXX or via e-mail niceman@mylocalcouncil.gov.uk

* I thought that was a river in Africa
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Julian

• samoture
Re: A satisfactory result from my local council
« Reply #1 on: 24 September, 2009, 07:18:26 pm »
:thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2009, 08:11:36 pm »
It shows what a cool head can achieve. :thumbsup:

I have much to aspire to. (insert bowing smilie)

« Reply #3 on: 25 September, 2009, 07:32:42 am »
I'm amazed that the driver handed that card to their boss!

« Reply #4 on: 25 September, 2009, 08:15:34 am »
Result!!

It'll have hurt her to slowly realise that she'd have looked even worse if she didn't hand it in.  Congrats on some mental torture.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #5 on: 25 September, 2009, 08:24:40 am »
It seems that she was sure the vehicle hadn't touched you and yet her Boss accepted your evidence.

I wonder why?

Previous complaint perhaps ::-)
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #6 on: 25 September, 2009, 08:48:47 am »
Good stuff  :)

I suspect you are leaving a lot unsaid about this bit -

when I caught up with it 3/4 mile later

iakobski

« Reply #7 on: 25 September, 2009, 09:06:03 am »

She held the firm opinion that 6" of space is perfectly adequate, and she'd done nothing wrong.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #8 on: 25 September, 2009, 01:53:48 pm »
Good stuff  :)

I suspect you are leaving a lot unsaid about this bit -

when I caught up with it 3/4 mile later

Yes, it's a surprise that I could even talk when I caught up, 3/4 mile on 72" flat out.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!