Author Topic: How many bikes?  (Read 6428 times)

Re: How many bikes?
« Reply #25 on: 08 July, 2008, 06:37:12 pm »
The Sainsbury's near us has good bike parking facilities.  Right next to the trollies and the door, about twenty Sheffield stands, under cover and in full view of the checkouts.  There are always a good few bikes there and the regulars leave their locks round the bottom of the stands.  I'm quite happy to leave my bike parked there.  Sainsburys also paid for the cycle lane which allows us to avoid the traffic queue as we leave as well.

But you aren't telling us where it is eh.
I believe that Sainsburys very kindly putting a cycle lane in place was probably part of an agreement with the council as part of their planning permission. Meaning that Sainburys want to build their store and need permission from the council. The council say yes, you can build your store here if...

« Reply #26 on: 08 July, 2008, 07:48:18 pm »
Yeah, our Sainsburys has a nice cycle lane along the edge of the car park, which is heavily used by cars which need access to the cash machines or to wait around for their SO to fill the car from the shopping trolley.

I wouldn't mind, except that they block me from being able to avoid the speed bumps, which would be nice when I'm towing the trailer full of shopping. >:(
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 10 July, 2008, 04:11:19 pm »
Mrs. Wow and I went to Waitrose on the tandem today.

No other bikes seen there.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #28 on: 10 July, 2008, 09:29:47 pm »
I've just been on the Waitrose store-finder site.
Twenty-Flipping-Five Miles away.

So I'd better get used to M&S for posh grub.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

ian

« Reply #29 on: 11 July, 2008, 10:07:29 am »
Waitrose. Bikes? I don't think so. This is Beckenham, not Cuba.

(I see the occasional bike, but it's very occassional, and it's sometimes mine.)

border-rider

« Reply #30 on: 11 July, 2008, 10:17:43 am »
At the Sainsbury's in Darlo, at least one of the cycle spaces is taken up by a motorbike/scooter. 

That's OK.  I park my trike & trailer combo in the motorcycle parking spaces at Waitrose in Monmouth.  The balance of the universe is restored :)

« Reply #31 on: 11 July, 2008, 10:44:11 am »
At the Sainsbury's in Darlo, at least one of the cycle spaces is taken up by a motorbike/scooter. 

That's OK.  I park my trike & trailer combo in the motorcycle parking spaces at Waitrose in Monmouth.  The balance of the universe is restored :)

While here in Newport, Tesco's motorcyle bay is usually car-filled*.  >:(

(The cycle parking is tucked-away round the side, so I usually lock the bike to the trolley corral immediately outside the door.

*Even caught on Google Maps - isn't technology wonderful?  ;D
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #32 on: 11 July, 2008, 03:11:52 pm »

Share and share alike:

« Reply #33 on: 11 July, 2008, 05:03:10 pm »
How long before that cyclist returns to find just a rear wheel padlocked up...

« Reply #34 on: 11 July, 2008, 05:13:12 pm »
I've got Pitlock skewers on it, sir - also, I could see it from the smoking den, and anyone nicking it would have had to come past my window.

It lives indoors now anyway.

border-rider

« Reply #35 on: 11 July, 2008, 05:16:13 pm »

While here in Newport, Tesco's motorcyle bay is usually car-filled*.  >:(

Aye, funny old place Newport

Our car insurance went up £100 (each) because we moved to an NP postcode from an RG one.  Even though this is about as back-of-beyond as you can  get.

« Reply #36 on: 11 July, 2008, 05:58:07 pm »
I've got Pitlock skewers on it, sir

Pitlocks are good but they aren't perfect: I can undo mine with one of these: Endeavor Tool - Gator Grip Universal Socket
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #37 on: 11 July, 2008, 06:00:30 pm »

Pitlocks are good but they aren't perfect: I can undo mine with one of these: Endeavor Tool - Gator Grip Universal Socket

Yep, one of the guys I work with had his pitlocked wheels nicked, and it requires a suitably enabled pass to get into our bike store, so someone went to a lot of effort to nick some not terribly good wheels (unless whoever it was that nicked them thought they must be good, because they were pitlocked).
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #38 on: 11 July, 2008, 06:03:56 pm »

Nowt's foolproof, as far as I'm concerned - I like to think my best protection is that the bike looks like shite.

On the Pitlock skewers, one of the lads at the factory said he could unlock them in less than a minute.  I don't doubt him.