Author Topic: Edge Touring or Wahoo Bolt?  (Read 15966 times)

Re: Edge Touring or Wahoo Bolt?
« Reply #75 on: 28 July, 2017, 10:43:12 am »
Talking of rain, one of the slightly quirky things about the Bolt are the 3 recessed buttons at the bottom.  When it rains they fill up & become little puddles!  Doesn't seem to affect performance though.
The sound of one pannier flapping

whosatthewheel

« Reply #76 on: 28 July, 2017, 10:52:43 am »
Could the Lezyne macro be the answer?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-macro-cycle-gps-with-mapping?sku=5360788863&source=igodigital

Half the price, much more battery, maps included... what's not to like?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #77 on: 28 July, 2017, 10:56:18 am »
To reiterate, you can get third party maps for free so 'maps included' is neither here nor there.

If you haven't read him yet, dcrainmaker is probably the best resource online for GPS reviews.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #78 on: 28 July, 2017, 11:03:17 am »
To reiterate, you can get third party maps for free so 'maps included' is neither here nor there.

If you haven't read him yet, dcrainmaker is probably the best resource online for GPS reviews.

He is...

And he likes the cheap Lezyne too... just over half the price for the SUper (24 hour battery) and less than half price for the Macro (22 hour battery)... reviews seem good... why nobody raves about Lezyne? I mean, 24 hours battery in the Audax world is life changing... it means you only really need to think about extra battery life for 600 or over

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #79 on: 28 July, 2017, 11:30:23 am »
But he still has his own biases. He cares about cycling fast for short distances, and doesn't go out in proper wet weather. So not necessarily relevant for audax etc.
And he's never reviewed any of the Etrex models.

cameronp

• upside down
« Reply #80 on: 28 July, 2017, 11:39:11 am »
And he likes the cheap Lezyne too... just over half the price for the SUper (24 hour battery) and less than half price for the Macro (22 hour battery)... reviews seem good... why nobody raves about Lezyne? I mean, 24 hours battery in the Audax world is life changing... it means you only really need to think about extra battery life for 600 or over

Sounds like you should buy one and report back!

The Lezyne didn't exist when I bought my Wahoo. The Audax world is fairly small and most people don't change their GPSes once they've got something working that they're happy with, so not too surprising that the Lezyne hasn't had much discussion yet. Even the Wahoo units are only just starting to penetrate the hive mind's awareness.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #81 on: 28 July, 2017, 11:51:53 am »
HK has a Lezyne and doesn't like it much (though she did early on). The charging port fills with water despite a rubber plug (bad positioning) and it has had some random data loss incidents.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #82 on: 28 July, 2017, 12:01:08 pm »
HK has a Lezyne and doesn't like it much (though she did early on). The charging port fills with water despite a rubber plug (bad positioning) and it has had some random data loss incidents.

Good to know, thanks

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #83 on: 28 July, 2017, 12:53:32 pm »
I thought the Edge Touring has a transflective display?  Doesn't look like it, or a very good one, from the picture here: https://mashing53.cyclyc.com/wahoo-navigation-nailed-or-failed/  Or is that an unrepresentative photo?  (I've yet to see one IRL).

These kind of displays (as I experience with my Sony Smartwatch 3) can actually be good in daylight, albeit with little or no colour visible then.  I'd want one of these with a new GPS unit to provide the best of both worlds: appearing like a regular full colour LCD in low light with the backlight on, and a decent reflective mono display in bright daylight with the backlight off saving power.  In inbetweeny conditions with the backlight on, they work just as well from a combination of reflected and transmitted light.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transflective_liquid-crystal_display
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #84 on: 28 July, 2017, 01:34:29 pm »

Good to know, thanks

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=100466 might be of interest.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #85 on: 28 July, 2017, 01:49:38 pm »

Good to know, thanks

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=100466 might be of interest.

Don't read GPX/TCX files???? WTF... rubbish

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #86 on: 28 July, 2017, 01:56:00 pm »
Obviously Wiggle Support thoroughly understand the products they sell.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #87 on: 28 July, 2017, 03:02:57 pm »
Obviously Wiggle Support thoroughly understand the products they sell.

But then why you can't apparently upload a route from a computer, only via the app on a smartphone? Does it not suggest the file needs to be manipulated before being uploaded?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #88 on: 28 July, 2017, 03:18:16 pm »
HK only uses her Lezyne as a ride recorder, not for navigation, and I'm not entirely sure which model she uses.

From http://www.lezyne.com/product-gps-macrogps.php#.WXtHWITyu70
"Instant download of ride files (.fit) via plug-and-play flash drive technology (Windows/Mac) and upload directly to GPS Root website for ride analysis
Compatible with third-party sites like Strava and TrainingPeaks"

« Reply #89 on: 28 July, 2017, 04:27:08 pm »
That's for uploading your rides to your computer but navigation as far as I can tell has to be sent via a smartphone.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #90 on: 31 July, 2017, 08:09:33 pm »
I think I have solved the last of my problems... with an Anker 5000 battery I can indeed charge my Garmin 200 without issues, so the problem was indeed low voltage coming from the AA charger as I suspected

No need for a new unit!  ;D

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #91 on: 31 July, 2017, 08:23:12 pm »
The mono screen is a non-issue. It's a reasonable resolution and has excellent daylight visibility.

..so how does it perform after dark? I assume there is a LCD backlight?

I've been a etrex hcx user for many years but I fear their age is coming to a close and I'm not particularly enthused by the modern Garmin offerings. The option (AIUI) to do on the fly route planning on a phone app and use that to programme the bolt is particularly attractive... I ve had enough of squinting at 2" screens....

« Reply #92 on: 31 July, 2017, 08:31:27 pm »
The mono screen is a non-issue. It's a reasonable resolution and has excellent daylight visibility.

I've been a etrex hcx user for many years but I fear their age is coming to a close and I'm not particularly enthused by the modern Garmin offerings. The option (AIUI) to do on the fly route planning on a phone app and use that to programme the bolt is particularly attractive... I ve had enough of squinting at 2" screens....

Yes, there is a backlight, which I keep on at all times to help with viewing and still get 16 hrs+ of battery life.  The screen looks like a Kindle in terms of contrast and detail.  In daylight - clearly visible : at night - very clearly visible!
The sound of one pannier flapping

cameronp

• upside down
« Reply #93 on: 01 August, 2017, 08:39:41 am »

As mentioned above, yes there's a backlight. The only slight annoyance is that there's no "do nothing, turn backlight on" button. This quirk is shared with the Garmin Edges but not the eTrex.

I would keep your expectations low about the on-the-fly route planning, although there's no technical reason why it couldn't work a good deal better than it currently does, and Wahoo have been pretty good about providing firmware updates that improve the product.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #94 on: 01 August, 2017, 08:53:29 am »
My old etrex HCX has just decided to stop talking to the microSD card (no maps or card storage of tracks but otherwise fine for following an Audax track/long weekend riding. The problem results from water penetration of the battery case which IME is the main cause of long term failure. As it happens I've just sourced a replacement so hopefully I'm good for a couple more years though I am starting to get a bit jealous of the shiny...