Author Topic: Magnetless Speed and Cadence Sensors  (Read 2121 times)

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
Magnetless Speed and Cadence Sensors
« on: 28 September, 2017, 07:11:17 am »
I need to get new cadence and speed sensors (killed all my Garmin ones). Also I seem to be endlessly adjusting cadence sensors in particular to get a connection and well on the fat bike I find I can easily kill the speed sensor when mounted on a fork.

So the short version is any experiences/comments on going with the hub mounted speed sensors and/or the magnetless cadence sensors?

The ones I am referring to are like the BBB Smartcadence BCP-66and their Smartspeed BCP-65 or similar from Wahoo or others.

This will be paired with a Wahoo Elemnt and possibility but less likely my Android phone [pairing to the phone is not a requirement by any means].

Comments on these types most welcome. Suggested brands/models also welcome.

Thanks
Andrew

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Magnetless Speed and Cadence Sensors
« Reply #1 on: 28 September, 2017, 08:31:56 am »
I’ve got both the Wahoo speed and cadence sensors and they’re pretty reliable. Only niggle is the lag on the speed sensor, it seems to smooth over 30 seconds or so.

Externally the 2 units are very similar. My cadence sensor lives on my shoe to make swapping bikes (and shoes) easier and has coped with multiple soakings so should be fine on a fat bike.

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
« Reply #2 on: 28 September, 2017, 09:12:19 am »
I’ve got both the Wahoo speed and cadence sensors and they’re pretty reliable. Only niggle is the lag on the speed sensor, it seems to smooth over 30 seconds or so.

Externally the 2 units are very similar. My cadence sensor lives on my shoe to make swapping bikes (and shoes) easier and has coped with multiple soakings so should be fine on a fat bike.

Thanks Paul. Someone else suggested going with the Wahoo units as Wahoo updates or can update the firmware.

I hadn't considered the shoe idea ... neat :)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3 on: 28 September, 2017, 09:15:46 am »
I have the Garmin ones on all my bikes.  They've been pretty bomb proof, which is unusual for a Garmin product!
Regards,

Joergen

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4 on: 28 September, 2017, 01:01:37 pm »
For Wahoo firmware updates you need the Wahoo utility app as well.

I had to improvise a little to get it on my shoes with zip ties. I experimented with an ankle strap but that didn’t give very good readings so it’s now on the strap.

I also compared the cadence readings with a couple of gym bikes. Was  generally spot on or a couple of rpm off

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 02 October, 2017, 04:26:47 pm »
I've got Wahoo ones on the Red Baron, because it avoids some really awkward sensor mounting.  No problems with the speed sensor (though note you'll have to improvise to mount it to a dynamo or gears-inna-can hub).  The cadence sensor gives false readings on rough road surfaces, presumably because the entire front end of the bike shakes around like a utter bastard.  On a brief test, It seems to work okay onna large-wheeled upwrong.

Main issue is the inconvenience of having to rotate the wheel and crank to wake the sensors (without derailling the chain), then tell the computer (Bontranger Node something or other) to look for them.  You have to do that every time you stop for more than 5 minutes, and it's why wireless bike computers are an arse.