Author Topic: How wrong does this look?  (Read 5005 times)

How wrong does this look?
« on: 21 October, 2017, 04:24:36 pm »
I bought a pair of longboards at a bargain price from a LBS, the owner said he'd reduced them because people only want black or silver mudguards.  Hmmm, although I'm one to favour function over style I'm not sure if this is a step too far :-[  I'm telling myself the overall look might be better when I fit the rear one?

Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: How wrong does this look?
« Reply #1 on: 21 October, 2017, 04:54:15 pm »
sand the surface with fine grit and spray them light gray. or black.

« Reply #2 on: 21 October, 2017, 04:59:27 pm »
Possible to move bolt to front of forks? Clearance looks very low and, colour aside, does look wrong.

Nice looking machine. What make/model?

« Reply #3 on: 21 October, 2017, 05:03:29 pm »
are those mudguards not also ridiculously wide for the tyres you have?

cheers

« Reply #4 on: 21 October, 2017, 05:24:57 pm »
Yes, looks wrong.  You'll have to buy another bike to fit them too, something in BRG would be a good match.

« Reply #5 on: 21 October, 2017, 05:32:47 pm »
Yeah, major clash in colour going on there. The most important thing though is do you mind? Could be a good security feature for your bike though ....   ;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 21 October, 2017, 05:38:42 pm »
Defo move the bolt to the front of the fork crown. It's going to catch on everything from steps (eg in/out of shed) to leaves and twigs like that. If that's not possible, you could remove the flap – but then there'd be no point having Longboards.

As for the colour, yeah, it's not different enough to be a contrast but at the same time it doesn't match. Whether that really matters is up to you though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7 on: 21 October, 2017, 05:44:13 pm »
Looks truly terrible.  Would suit my bike so much better.   :demon:

« Reply #8 on: 21 October, 2017, 06:15:14 pm »
Thanks for confirming what I suspected...  in the short term I think I will go ahead and fit them properly and trim the front down a little as there's no option to mount at the front of the fork.   I like the idea that it will help as a theft deterrent and will also consider painting as suggested, though I was thinking orange to match the highlights on the frame ;)

The bike is a GT Grade and the guards actually only just clear the 35mm tyres, I think the contrast in colour might make them look oversized.
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #9 on: 21 October, 2017, 06:15:48 pm »
Yes, looks wrong.  You'll have to buy another bike to fit them too, something in BRG would be a good match.

;D

I agree (those mudguards look good on a traditional steel tourer, IMHO; this bike would be better suited to matt black).

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #10 on: 21 October, 2017, 07:17:46 pm »
Personally I think the mudguards are the least of your problem ;D

Ben T

« Reply #11 on: 21 October, 2017, 08:10:43 pm »
It looks more wrong that it hasn't got a back one than the fact it's beige. The pedals also look wrong. Also the plant on the bench looks like it's dead.

« Reply #12 on: 21 October, 2017, 10:05:25 pm »
...and trim the front down a little as there's no option to mount at the front of the fork.
Length at the front of the fork is useful.
If you don't have it, water comes off the tyre on an upwards trajectory, and blows back over your lights, handlebars, arms, and face.

here's one I did earlier (until photobucket kill it)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #13 on: 21 October, 2017, 10:14:02 pm »
"How wrong does this look?"

Very, and the colours look slightly odd to me, but I'm colourblind.

Phil W

« Reply #14 on: 21 October, 2017, 10:19:42 pm »
Agree, very. It a bit like beige tank tops. Two wrongs don't make a right.

« Reply #15 on: 21 October, 2017, 10:49:21 pm »
  Why's every saying that they're beige? I've just checked and SKS clearly identify this colour as Latte Macchiato, bang on trend :thumbsup:

« Reply #16 on: 21 October, 2017, 11:06:56 pm »
[Why's every saying that they're beige? I've just checked and SKS clearly identify this colour as Latte Macchiato, bang on trend :thumbsup:

Why didn't you say that earlier?

Brilliant choice!

« Reply #17 on: 21 October, 2017, 11:23:38 pm »
It looks more wrong that it hasn't got a back one than the fact it's beige. The pedals also look wrong. Also the plant on the bench looks like it's dead.
It was after fitting the pedals that the decision to fit the beige latte macchiato mudguards was easy ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18 on: 22 October, 2017, 11:11:32 am »
  Why's every saying that they're beige? I've just checked and SKS clearly identify this colour as Latte Macchiato, bang on trend :thumbsup:

So paint the bike Mocha.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #19 on: 22 October, 2017, 12:40:08 pm »
So totally hideous that it's repulsive.  ::-)

You should send it to me...  ;D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #20 on: 22 October, 2017, 01:02:18 pm »
In all seriousness I think black guards would be the best choice for that particular machine.  I like the slightly unusual frame and note that almost everything hanging off it is black already.   

« Reply #21 on: 22 October, 2017, 01:57:30 pm »
and here it is, in all its mismatched latte macchiato glory with the front guard trimmed to give a bit more ground clearance.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #22 on: 22 October, 2017, 03:34:24 pm »
Hideous. I still think you should send it to me for safekeeping.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #23 on: 22 October, 2017, 03:54:48 pm »
I've just fitted a navy blue 10 litre saddlepack... OMG even I can't take a picture of it now :sick:

« Reply #24 on: 22 October, 2017, 04:40:53 pm »
I've just fitted a navy blue 10 litre saddlepack... OMG even I can't take a picture of it now :sick:

That just makes it more trendy and fashionable.

Ugly is the new black:

http://www.manrepeller.com/2017/10/dad-shoes-ugly-sneaker-trend.html

Your steed is danger of becoming a fashion icon.