Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 355982 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1575 on: 19 November, 2020, 05:59:59 pm »

:P

Seriously? I'm the worst person you know?

I'm so pleased, you know only nice people. Lucky sod...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #1576 on: 19 November, 2020, 06:05:50 pm »

I spend a lot of time on the bike converting miles to kilometres and back. 

I definitely swing both ways on the bike when it comes to measurements .

Especially counting down the distance to go on a long ride... “20 miles to go... 30kms to go... 15miles... 20kms... 10miles... 15kms... 10kms... 5 miles... 5kms...” .... means the little victories come a little more often!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1577 on: 19 November, 2020, 07:30:15 pm »
Just narking resident geeks  ;D

Troll :p

(and having the misconception that the UK was still fully imperial on measurements, but according to wikipedia "In schools metric units are taught and used as the norm." so there's hope for ye yet)

Anyway, as long as precision is not required (ie 90cm being good enough for 3 feet) I can do inches, feet, yards, miles and pounds easy enough. Don't ask me to do furlongs and stones though...

<contentious view>The UK is a metric country, anyone claiming otherwise is probably some brain dead gammon... </contentious view>

For most purposes we can treat a yard and a meter as the same thing, it's just easier to say "hundred yards" than it is to say "hundred meters" In your case the 3' fence is basically a 1m fence...

J
--

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #1578 on: 19 November, 2020, 07:50:32 pm »
Actually, for me there is a substantial difference between a 1 yard fence and a 1 meter one: the first one I can step over (on the tip of my toes) whereas I cannot with the other.

Oh, and I do notice a fair amount of usage of imperial units in this forum... :D

Anyways, our beloved squares are neither in metric kilometers nor in imperial miles (well, not in "nice" numbers anyway). They're not even all the same size I just learned...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1579 on: 19 November, 2020, 08:14:58 pm »
Anyways, our beloved squares are neither in metric kilometers nor in imperial miles (well, not in "nice" numbers anyway). They're not even all the same size I just learned...

Aren't they canonically in pixels?

« Reply #1580 on: 20 November, 2020, 09:34:46 am »
For most purposes we can treat a yard and a meter as the same thing, it's just easier to say "hundred yards" than it is to say "hundred meters" In your case the 3' fence is basically a 1m fence...
Roads Engineer here - fun fact, when you get a warning sign with a "100 yards" plate or whatever, the regulations require it to be placed 100m from the thing ;)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1581 on: 20 November, 2020, 09:50:17 am »
Actually, for me there is a substantial difference between a 1 yard fence and a 1 meter one: the first one I can step over (on the tip of my toes) whereas I cannot with the other.

True, but for the purposes of describing it. I climbed over a 1m fence the other day, and a 1.5m gate. I don't know if those are the right numbers, but they are close enough for you to get the idea...

Oh, and I do notice a fair amount of usage of imperial units in this forum... :D

Well yes, there are a couple of reasons for this.

a) old farts

b) ignorance in thinking gear inches is a useful way of conveying gear size, when clearly MoD is a more useful unit, and gain is even more useful as it takes into account crank length. When ever I have mentioned this, I usually get flamed to hell and back. Cos apparently the best way to measure gears, is to compare it to the diameter of the big wheel of a penny farthing, and not, something as useful as "if I turn my pedals one revolution, I go x distance"

But then, as has been established, I am the worst person some people on here know. I am an idiot, and I am wrong. So take this all with a pinch of salt (slice of lemon, and a shot of tequila)

Nope, due to the wonder that is conveying the surface of a sphere, on a flat surface. I Wonder, does this make it harder or easier, for someone living in say the far north?

J
--

« Reply #1582 on: 20 November, 2020, 11:23:54 am »

Nope, due to the wonder that is conveying the surface of a sphere, on a flat surface. I Wonder, does this make it harder or easier, for someone living in say the far north?

Easier, but only E/W distance shrinks as you go more Northern (assuming you're in the Northern hemisphere to begin with). The N/S distance of each tile should be the same. (I think, I'm pretty sure...)

Note that E/W distances of each tile aren't the same at the top and bottom of the tiles. The E/W distance will be slightly shorter on the side closer to the nearest pole.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1583 on: 20 November, 2020, 11:59:06 am »
"my GPS directed me here" is my standby excuse (that I didn't have to use yet). Never mind I had to lift my bike over a 3 foot high barrier to get here  ;D (as happened last weekend to get 2 coastal tiles East of Eemshaven, I'm sure Slugbait knows the ones I'm talking about  8))

Of course, but I'm waiting to bag those tiles when the road along the dyke is open again. 

« Reply #1584 on: 20 November, 2020, 12:15:07 pm »

Easier, but only E/W distance shrinks as you go more Northern (assuming you're in the Northern hemisphere to begin with). The N/S distance of each tile should be the same. (I think, I'm pretty sure...)

Note that E/W distances of each tile aren't the same at the top and bottom of the tiles. The E/W distance will be slightly shorter on the side closer to the nearest pole.

You are right. The tile "height" is always about 1.4km. The tile "width" varies from 2.4km on the equator down to as little as 200m at the edge of the tiled area (which is actually about 85 degrees N/S, not the poles). RET.com has some expanded info on this at https://rideeverytile.com/tiles/how_big_is_a_tile

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1585 on: 20 November, 2020, 12:40:30 pm »
You are right. The tile "height" is always about 1.4km. The tile "width" varies from 2.4km on the equator down to as little as 200m at the edge of the tiled area (which is actually about 85 degrees N/S, not the poles). RET.com has some expanded info on this at https://rideeverytile.com/tiles/how_big_is_a_tile

Presumably the tiles at the North Pole are triangular. And if you took your Garmin, you could bag a whole lot of tiles very quickly.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1586 on: 20 November, 2020, 12:52:11 pm »

Presumably the tiles at the North Pole are triangular. And if you took your Garmin, you could bag a whole lot of tiles very quickly.

That would be awesome! Unfortunately there is a problem.  All the major mapping sites (OSM, Google Maps, others) use the same "Web Mercator" system for showing maps, which essentially stops at 85deg N/S. This effectively means there are no tiles near the poles :(. Try zooming in north of Svalbard in Google maps, eventually you find a limit.

It also makes me wonder if consumer GPS like Garmins work well at the poles? Fewer satellites there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1587 on: 20 November, 2020, 01:14:25 pm »
This effectively means there are no tiles near the poles :(

Boo!

That's next year's trip cancelled.

ETA: just did a quick calculation - if the tiles are 2.4km wide at the equator, that means the circumference of the earth is ~16,700 tiles. Such a shame they don't go all the way to the poles - that would be one hell of a tilebagging trip.  ;D
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1588 on: 20 November, 2020, 02:42:02 pm »
Ref imperial vs metric; if a recipe offers both grams and ounces I always use ounces, even though that means changing the weighing machine which we have set to default to grams. Probably because I learned to bake with my mother and she always used ounces, and we had old recipes from her mother which were only in ounces.

Also the numbers are smaller.

On topic, I really need to do a new screenshot for this thread as I have slowly been picking off tiles here and there.

« Reply #1589 on: 20 November, 2020, 05:19:27 pm »
ETA: just did a quick calculation - if the tiles are 2.4km wide at the equator, that means the circumference of the earth is ~16,700 tiles.

Yup, your calculation is close... there are 16,384 tiles around the earth. This is a power of 2 ( 16384 = 2*2*....*2*2 fourteen times) and comes about because tiles are created by starting with one massive tile that covers almost all the earth and then repeatedly splitting into four equal sub-tiles - i.e. each zoom level has four times as many tiles as the previous one.

« Reply #1590 on: 22 November, 2020, 06:07:32 pm »
I made a calculator, you can use it to work out how big an explorer tile is at your latitude:

https://hugovk.github.io/tiles/

I first head about tiling in April, was on 8x8, now up to 19x19!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1591 on: 22 November, 2020, 06:25:33 pm »
Remind sme I should probably try to claim the tile using the foreshore at mod Leuchars before it gets more difficult for me.

We have our eyes on the same tile...  The heatmap shows that it can be accessed from the East- maybe best on foot.
There's a small park just off the road, I think only need to walk a bit beyond that to claim, unlike the east tile don't think would need to walk the foreshore. Still not been back along since I first explored and missed crossing into the tile...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #1592 on: 22 November, 2020, 07:25:37 pm »
I made a calculator, you can use it to work out how big an explorer tile is at your latitude:

Nice tool, but the default 60.2 degrees is quite northern (it makes me feel that at 53.2 degrees, I live in the deep south). For the imperial guys: at a latitude of 48.9 your squares are almost exactly 1 mile ;-)

Chris S

« Reply #1593 on: 22 November, 2020, 10:26:57 pm »
I liken the Imperial vs Metric debate to the Brexit "debate" (yeah, there really wasn't one - I realise that). Is there actually any benefit in brexit imperial over metric?

No. Of course there fucking isn't.

simonp

« Reply #1594 on: 22 November, 2020, 11:26:51 pm »
I had an upset stomach yesterday so missed my indoor workout. Which left me down on hours, so I decided to pick one of my longer tile bagging routes, and I added a bit to it, to get a few more tiles.

Before:

After:

This one again doesn't increase the square - max cluster up to 624 now.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1595 on: 22 November, 2020, 11:51:59 pm »
...This one again doesn't increase the square - max cluster up to 624 now.

Welcome to my tile bagging world  :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1596 on: 23 November, 2020, 12:35:15 am »
I liken the Imperial vs Metric debate to the Brexit "debate" (yeah, there really wasn't one - I realise that). Is there actually any benefit in brexit imperial over metric?

No. Of course there fucking isn't.

And yet it remains extremely popular with Old People and those who rarely have anything to do with SCIENCE...  Good analogy.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1597 on: 23 November, 2020, 11:02:05 am »

Nice tool, but the default 60.2 degrees is quite northern (it makes me feel that at 53.2 degrees, I live in the deep south). For the imperial guys: at a latitude of 48.9 your squares are almost exactly 1 mile ;-)

For hugovk it is neither north not south, it's home.

The narrowest tile I've visited is 0.80 km wide. I rode all the way (apart from ferries) to get there, so I reckon I deserved a few 'easy' ones.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1598 on: 23 November, 2020, 11:18:00 am »
Ref imperial vs metric; if a recipe offers both grams and ounces I always use ounces, even though that means changing the weighing machine which we have set to default to grams. Probably because I learned to bake with my mother and she always used ounces, and we had old recipes from her mother which were only in ounces.

When touring in Ireland many years ago, one of our group was so taken with the brown bread we were given  at breakfast that in our last B & B in Killarney he asked for the recipe. The proprietor wrote it down for him, and the quantities were 'a handful of' this, a 'good handful of'  that 'a fair amount, but not too much' of the other. I imagine she'd been taught by her mother, and had made a batch every morning for decades, so could tell how much was needed just by looking at it.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Davef

« Reply #1599 on: 23 November, 2020, 03:31:00 pm »
Whoop whoop 50x50