Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 356188 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1975 on: 23 May, 2021, 01:24:00 am »
Today was brutally hard. It started so easily, 50km of beautiful tail winds, bagging tiles, really enjoying myself... Then the off road happened.
....<SNIP>.....
Bagged 30 new tiles, increased my cluster by 54. And I now have 8 overlapping 24x24 squares. And... I learned a lot.

Fortunately there aren't many tiles left that require off roading. So hopefully I won't have to go through this again.

Hopefully.
Sounds like a fun day out.  :o
I recall going down a footpath a few years back that obviously hadn't been used in a while. The vegetation was almost head height and composed mostly of stingy nettle and other typically vicious UK plantlife. I was wearing lycra shorts and a short sleeved top. Getting wet from foliage may seem been a better option, but not if you end up getting chilled.  I think I became almost immune to stingy nettles that year, I got stung so very often.

I highly recommend sun dried bananas to carry on bike to prevent running out of energy. They last forever in bag/pocket, are very cheap, don't damage like fresh bananas and are way better than M+Ms for keeping you going. These are not the hard crunchy banana chips kind, they are soft and chewy whole bananas. The ones in packet shown on right in photo here are my favourite brand. Usually around 12 whole bananas in a small pack.
https://www.spiceoflifecardiff.co.uk/product/sun-dried-banana-whole/
B+M [for those in UK] have decent flapjacks for 29p each - vegan too for those who avoid dairy. I buy a box every few months and always keep one along with a couple of sun dried bananas in a rear pocket just in case.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #1976 on: 23 May, 2021, 08:09:23 am »
Interesting seeing Jonathan F's tilebagging adventures round my way - kind of reassuring to see that even he has run up against his limits with the Medway estuary.

Also provides useful ideas for bagging some of the other tricky tiles round here, eg down on Romney Marsh.
We follow each other on Strava. I had managed to get a tile out on the Hoo Peninsula that he hadn't. Within a couple of days he had done an epic long ride down here to pick it up. Very impressive.

« Reply #1977 on: 23 May, 2021, 08:21:29 am »
And the ride on strava if you're curious. https://www.strava.com/activities/5341000184

J

Hm, finishing in Houten. Before the GPS times that town was a challenge in itself to find your bearings.

« Reply #1978 on: 23 May, 2021, 08:58:00 am »
I took a day off on Thursday to do a long ride and capture some distant tiles. Very pleased to go up from 24x24 to 27x27 in one ride. Nothing really tricky on this one but I did end up with a bit of comedy offroading. I am hoping to finish all of Kent by the end of the year.
https://www.strava.com/activities/5330389382

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1979 on: 23 May, 2021, 12:30:46 pm »
I took a day off on Thursday to do a long ride and capture some distant tiles. Very pleased to go up from 24x24 to 27x27 in one ride. Nothing really tricky on this one but I did end up with a bit of comedy offroading. I am hoping to finish all of Kent by the end of the year.

Nice work!

Where you have gaps on the Ash levels and those two coastal tiles north of Sandwich, I had to take to foot to get most of those. I have some walking routes on Viewranger if you want me to share them.

In return, I might ask for tips on Hoo tiles, when I get round to heading out that way.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1980 on: 23 May, 2021, 07:53:16 pm »

Can someone remind me, how do I find the lat/long of the corners of a single tile?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #1981 on: 23 May, 2021, 11:11:17 pm »
Some good clusterage the weekend - never mind Sunderland, I've completed Carlisle (the Sunderland of the west), and linked it to my main cluster not once, but twice. Across the Tyne Gap and up the Eden Valley.

Plus I knocked off a bunch of extra tiles down the Furness peninsula, my cluster is now 6093.

And all the talk of leaderboards prompted me to check, I'm 53rd for clusterage. Everyone around me seems to be in the Netherlands.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1982 on: 24 May, 2021, 12:08:11 am »
Today was brutally hard. It started so easily, 50km of beautiful tail winds, bagging tiles, really enjoying myself... Then the off road happened.

In total I had 10km of crazy off road shit. It started with a 1.4km hike a bike through chest high vegetation on a path that clearly hadn't been used for a while... At the end of which, the water level had over topped the path, and if there was any hope left of dry feet, it disappeared at this point. Tho I was already soaked upto about waist level from the wet vegetation.

Then began the next 4.3km of slow laborious off road. The "path" was off camber to one side, and made of grass and mud. My GP5K tyres are not really suited to this terrain, which made it even harder than it needed to be. This really made my arms hurt from the amount of effort needed on the handlebars just to keep from falling. I lost the rear end a few times. And if My drive train wasn't dirty enough already... it acquired it's self a shrubbery...

After this sector I mercifully got some tarmac, which was heavenly. Then I got to the next off road section. This was 4.3km in length, and started off relatively rideable. But by the final km or so, I had the mother of all bonks, and it became a trial just to keep going. I ended up getting off and pushing. When I eventually got to the end of that sector, I had planned to find some dry ground, sit down, and have something to eat. Exiting the woods, the rain started. So that plan went out the window. I donned a waterproof, and headed to about 1km to where I knew there was a bus shelter, and sat out of the rain, and had a handful of M&Ms.

I was pretty messed up at this point. I had a drink. I had some food, but I was also getting cold, so only one thing for it, Get on the bike. I decided to not try my luck with the next off road section, tho it looked from the bit I could see, like it may have a reasonable surface. I'll come back for that.

At the 70km mark, I called a friend. "I'm fucked. Help". She spent the next hour and a half, talking to me, and guiding me through, as we modified my route on the fly to just get me to a station, as easily as possible. I am very grateful of this, it really helped. I had to stop a few more times to top up the M&M inputs. I realised around this point that I was starting to dehydrate. I had started with 1L of water, and with 20km to go, was down to my last emergency mouthful. Not good. Fortunately at the 90km mark I found a water tap, for which I was exceedingly grateful. This, and a few more M&M's was enough to get me to the finish. After crossing the Rijn-Kanaal, I just took the most direct route to the station, avoiding any faff for tiles. Just needing to get home.

In the end the ride was 100.6km in length, with 10km of it offroad.

Bagged 30 new tiles, increased my cluster by 54. And I now have 8 overlapping 24x24 squares. And... I learned a lot.

Fortunately there aren't many tiles left that require off roading. So hopefully I won't have to go through this again.

Hopefully.

And the ride on strava if you're curious. https://www.strava.com/activities/5341000184

J
That elevation chart tells the story of the weather I guess...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #1983 on: 24 May, 2021, 09:57:31 pm »
Some good clusterage the weekend - never mind Sunderland, I've completed Carlisle (the Sunderland of the west), and linked it to my main cluster not once, but twice. Across the Tyne Gap and up the Eden Valley.

Plus I knocked off a bunch of extra tiles down the Furness peninsula, my cluster is now 6093.

And all the talk of leaderboards prompted me to check, I'm 53rd for clusterage. Everyone around me seems to be in the Netherlands.

Nice clusterage indeed Dean.  :thumbsup: Noticed you were a big mover on the https://rakietowa.org/maxsquare/ site on the cluster tab. Also did a good bit of grabbing now we are released hitting Walsall, Swindon and Reading. Got to say that wasn't my target just a consequence of hitting new tiles. Can't keep up with those Dutchies  ;D

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #1984 on: 26 May, 2021, 09:07:27 am »
Stumbled across another tiling spin off site. Squadrats  ::-) Guess its hard to find a new URL name. https://squadrats.com/

Has some uses in showing just how many new tiles you bagged for a ride. The rest of it is a touch baffling on first look.

My latest ride filled in a nice chunk of cluster and got me 33 new tiles.
Trying to work out the colour code:Full green tiles are new ones grabbed.
Initially thought that the shaded green are those that now join your cluster, but it appears not that simple.
White is my current cluster
Grey are uncollected tiles

The description for Squadratinhos is interesting: ???
"Tiny Squadrats 64 Squadratinhos make one Squadrat,
Come and get all of these small nasty bastards" ;D

Guessing Italian origin maybe.

« Reply #1985 on: 26 May, 2021, 09:32:46 am »
Guessing Italian origin maybe.

Polish, I heard.
Tiling is growing.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #1986 on: 26 May, 2021, 01:45:17 pm »
statshunters.com is another one, I use this to check if a route touches all the tiles I intend to bag. Plus I like the colours  :)

Last Sunday's DIY200:

(light green = cluster tiles, red = non-cluster visited tiles, blue = part of the square)

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #1987 on: 26 May, 2021, 04:48:29 pm »
It looks like statshunter is more accurate by default - it shows a couple of tiles that I didn't really get but VV sampling error gave me.
Best go get them properly I suppose...

« Reply #1988 on: 26 May, 2021, 04:59:06 pm »
It looks like statshunter is more accurate by default - it shows a couple of tiles that I didn't really get but VV sampling error gave me.
It’s a bit complicated... by default both VV and Statshunter use the “summary” polylines  from Strava API but each have their own way of letting you request the detailed lines if you need them. 

Then there also appears to be some VV activities that were not affected by the “squaremageddon” a few years back which was supposed to remove the allowance that you used to get. This made a bunch of us lose a load of tiles but maybe not as much as we should have!

Anyway, as you say, a good excuse for a bike ride “just to make sure”...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1989 on: 26 May, 2021, 06:41:16 pm »
Got a couple of tiles with a walk last night, if I can be arsed exploring either Pitmedden or Methil*  tomorrow I can expand my square.

* actually the standing stane road from Methil to Kirkcaldy, not one I really want to bag by bike unless it's around 4 am and all the eejits that thrash down it every day have either gone to bed or hosputal/deth

« Reply #1990 on: 26 May, 2021, 07:14:31 pm »
Got a couple of tiles with a walk last night, if I can be arsed exploring either Pitmedden or Methil*  tomorrow I can expand my square.

Is the tile at the end of Methil Pier doable?

Re Standingstane I did all the tiles on it by using the wind farm gravel tracks to the north.
Pitmedden has a driveway tile- first time I tried there were 200 deer grazing and I wussed out. second time was an early start and was achieved.  Some good gravel and Singletrack to N.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1991 on: 26 May, 2021, 09:07:02 pm »
I got most of Pitmedden that I hadn't got on the mtb by riding into yough land and then onto the forest roads one day, I need to have a proper look at the couple I still need to claim.

« Reply #1992 on: 26 May, 2021, 10:24:29 pm »

It's more complicated than this. There are a couple of tiles that I definitely visited (road/bicycle path just dips into a tile), but statshunter doesn't recognize it as such. I've decided that I'm sticking to whatever Veloviewer counts as a tile visited. The errors will probably even out.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1993 on: 26 May, 2021, 11:11:47 pm »
Looks like I need 3 different walks for the ones I need to get just north of here, or to finally get back out in the mtb...

Mtb might make more sense if my ankle problems persist

« Reply #1994 on: 27 May, 2021, 09:24:11 am »

It's more complicated than this. There are a couple of tiles that I definitely visited (road/bicycle path just dips into a tile), but statshunter doesn't recognize it as such. I've decided that I'm sticking to whatever Veloviewer counts as a tile visited. The errors will probably even out.
You have to update the precision on statshunter like you do on veloviewer.

« Reply #1995 on: 27 May, 2021, 10:44:30 am »
With Squadrats I'm missing one in the suspected Jurgen C hideout area. Both Statshunters and Veloviewer credit me with this tile

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1996 on: 27 May, 2021, 01:43:31 pm »
It's finally done.
I had to use the shopper as the bling bike is having its sealant replaced and by all accounts, it's not going well.
103 new tiles. The wrong tyres. A great deal of Tesco Value County of Lincolnshire (Kim). Cluster increase 1140 :D

That's brilliant! I love it. I guess I'm way behind now. Bike-a-hike is where I am these days.

citoyen

« Reply #1997 on: 28 May, 2021, 09:30:18 am »
Success!

The end of our street by citoyen, on Flickr

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1998 on: 28 May, 2021, 09:33:39 am »
Success!

The end of our street by citoyen, on Flickr

I love the way you made sure you'd got that. No sneaking over the line, that's a genuine 'into the tile' bit of exploring

citoyen

« Reply #1999 on: 28 May, 2021, 10:06:48 am »
I love the way you made sure you'd got that. No sneaking over the line, that's a genuine 'into the tile' bit of exploring

It's very rare to catch the tide that low, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to go out as far as possible - it turns very quickly and even before I'd got back to the beach, the part inside the tile was underwater.