Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 356375 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #2075 on: 18 June, 2021, 01:20:19 pm »
another thing which is measured on a Dutch forum is your longest distance within your cluster.
For me that's Marquain - Zwolle, 327km
How do you measure it? By road? Google makes mine 522km driving 551km cycling or 489km walking ("This route includes a ferry").

« Reply #2076 on: 18 June, 2021, 01:24:01 pm »
another thing which is measured on a Dutch forum is your longest distance within your cluster.
How do you measure it? By road? Google makes mine 522km driving 551km cycling or 489km walking ("This route includes a ferry").
Looks like walking - I went with as the crow flies. If you do walking, mine is 202 km.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2077 on: 18 June, 2021, 01:35:34 pm »
20.1%  I've been in the Wet Widlands too long.

« Reply #2078 on: 18 June, 2021, 02:36:25 pm »
29.9%, but I've only had a GPS the last six years or so, it would be way lower if I had traces of all my riding.

And 246 km from north of Duns to south of Selby (as the crow flies).

« Reply #2079 on: 18 June, 2021, 02:41:54 pm »
38.1%

1269 Cluster
3330 tiles
4 17x17 squares, the closest is 5km North of my home.

Also only been on Strava for 6 years, would have loads more if it wasn't for that

145km by road North Berwick to Tentsmuir

« Reply #2080 on: 18 June, 2021, 03:08:06 pm »
Are you an Explorer or stay at home person, easy way to check. Cluster as a percentage of total.  I will start 2187 cluster is 7.35% of total, lower the better. For some of us Max Square involves cycling into lots of crap areas ???
12.3% with max square 29x29. Lots of audax rides all over the place so I guess I an an explorer. Only concentrated on adding tiles and enlarging max square since the first lock down.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
10286 tiles

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

LFCC

« Reply #2081 on: 18 June, 2021, 03:17:16 pm »
29.9%, but I've only had a GPS the last six years or so, it would be way lower if I had traces of all my riding.

Isn't that true for everyone? I've got gaps in East Anglia and in France & Luxembourg from the pre-gps days.

I certainly got more tiles before I knew I was collecting them than since.

Moving house does help quite a lot.

And you can be damn sure I'll be targeting 20,000 by the end of this year.

« Reply #2082 on: 18 June, 2021, 03:19:06 pm »
75% of my tiles aren't part of my 150k long max cluster.  Tomorrow I intend to reduce that percentage - probably by 'exploring' Coventry  :P

I live right in the centre of my max square - one of the few advantages of living in the Midlands.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2083 on: 18 June, 2021, 03:51:44 pm »

I only really started cycling properly in November 2017, so my 11158 tiles have all been gained since then...

Before that I was mucking about on a Brompton, I could dig the traces out of the etrex, but it feels like too much effort...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2084 on: 18 June, 2021, 04:23:59 pm »
I do need to at least pull my old audaxes in at some point but eh, that's virtually admin.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #2085 on: 18 June, 2021, 04:24:33 pm »
32.3%

Cluster :3825
Tiles :11826
Max square:52
Furthest distance within cluster about 163km

High percentage for me because pretty much every ride starts and finishes at home.

I live fairly near the middle of my cluster, though I've recently moved house, but only 20km up the road so not a lot of difference for tile bagging purposes.   
Eddington: 114 Miles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2086 on: 18 June, 2021, 06:16:41 pm »

Isn't that true for everyone? I've got gaps in East Anglia and in France & Luxembourg from the pre-gps days.

I bought a GPS receiver in about 2004.  I didn't re-discover cycling until 2008.  As such I have GPS tracks for almost every interesting ride I've done, and a couple of winters ago I sat down and worked out how to batch-upload them all to Strava.  Indeed, since I got into this tile-bagging nonsense, I've gone to the effort to recover the data from a couple of corrupted files, on the basis that it was an easier win than the comedy off-roading that created them.

Moving house does help quite a lot.

This is clearly where I'm going wrong.  I've got a modest cluster in That London, but there are too many gaps.

« Reply #2087 on: 18 June, 2021, 08:46:21 pm »
Wish i kept my old gps units, first one was a Garmin GPS 3, bought for South America tours in 1997/8 and an Etrex Legend bought in the States for the Great Divide in 2002 as it had the mapping installed . They were not very efficient as the batteries did not last long and had the old serial connections.
Built in batteries , power banks and a solar panel are much better for touring today if you are out in the sticks for week or so.
Have ordered a GPSMAP 66sr , my Garmin 1000 is a disaster now , can't use the 3 button press fix if it locks up as the power button is dead. The only Garmin that has not given me grief was the GPSMAP60cxs so updated to the 66 model.

« Reply #2088 on: 18 June, 2021, 09:12:12 pm »

Sure, but I was thinking of a particular trip to Nepal.

*Thinks of all the squares*

*Sighs*

And Ronnie makes the point well - it's more a metric of how early an adopter you were, than of how much of an "explorer" you are.

« Reply #2089 on: 19 June, 2021, 12:39:18 am »

shortest distance walking in Google Maps

« Reply #2090 on: 19 June, 2021, 12:41:32 am »

Sure, but I was thinking of a particular trip to Nepal.

*Thinks of all the squares*

*Sighs*

And Ronnie makes the point well - it's more a metric of how early an adopter you were, than of how much of an "explorer" you are.

I bought my first GPS in 2008 and kept nearly all my records. So when is started with Veloviewer it took me some days to upload my old files and I could enter at serious level.
So not only how early you were with adapting but also how good you are at record keeping and archiving. I know of some early adapters who threw away all their old records.....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2091 on: 19 June, 2021, 12:43:53 am »
And a lot of more recent GPS adopters have only ever used the cloud based service du jour for keeping their tracklogs, which doesn't lend itself to retrospective uploading the way a disk full of GPX files does.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2092 on: 19 June, 2021, 10:57:08 am »
7.14% (239/3348)
47km (Alveston to Ross on Wye)

I have an excel sheet listing several years of rides with a pre- gps cycle computer.  I could with a fair degree of accuracy reconstruct them & upload to Strava.  Would that be fair game?
I guess I'd have to do some kind of fakery to get them recorded under the correct dates which would likely get them all flagged thobut.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2093 on: 19 June, 2021, 11:38:37 am »
GPSies can create gpx files that Strava will accept.

« Reply #2094 on: 19 June, 2021, 12:29:23 pm »
You could be ruthless and possibly have a fair way to rank YACF members by only counting tiles from when D.A.L.E. started the thread.  :demon: How would that work ?
 Would save most of us scrambling about looking into old hard drives /GPS units we have squirrelled away.  Have had a few email addresses for Garmin connect and the Ascent software for the mac might be hiding somewhere . 

« Reply #2095 on: 19 June, 2021, 02:11:11 pm »
Not necessarily. You still need to have ridden and explored a fair bit to tick off tiles regardless of when you started. Plus collecting tiles now is way easier than it was even just last year back due to much better mapping tools, apps etc. Not to mention, being able to see how other folk previously got to difficult places via heatmaps.
Just recalled that when I first dabbled with VV Tiling in 2017, I used to memorise my routes because although I used Strava, my GPS didn't have a mapping function. ;D Well I'd never needed one before because I have a good memory for maps/places and used to like to just randomly explore anyway. I think my starting square was 12/13 ish. Had to also redo lots of local tiles that I'd not visited since I used Strava regularly. 
The Tile Collector

« Reply #2096 on: 19 June, 2021, 02:41:19 pm »
Are you an Explorer or stay at home person, easy way to check. Cluster as a percentage of total.  I will start 2187 cluster is 7.35% of total, lower the better. For some of us Max Square involves cycling into lots of crap areas ???
Percentage will also greatly depend on where you live or how focused [anal ;D] your tiling is. Mine is 77% and I'm aiming for a higher percentage. But my cluster is deliberately square shaped and edges are a fair way from home now now I've filled all the holes. Re crap areas, Doncaster is the only area I thought I'm definitely not coming back here again to cycle.
I'm a sprinter/MTBer with vast networks of trails close to home, the Peak District [which I like to explore in fine detail too]. Finding every possible trail and route variation I can in an area is also my sort of thang. So epic long rides were rarely a thing for me until I after started tiling in 2017. Handily I got a CX in 2016, which is the ideal tiling bike.  :)  I've also found 25km local off road tiling rides can be harder and more challenging than a 160km tile explore out in North Lincs.
The Tile Collector

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2097 on: 19 June, 2021, 02:49:19 pm »
GPSies can create gpx files that Strava will accept.
Done one as a trial.  I don't have GPSies so I created the ride in cycle.travel & time shifted it using gotoes.org which is rather clever.  I've entered my recorded average & it's used that and the altitude c.t provided to set my speed.  That's better than using a flat average and should avoid any inappropriate uphill segments.  It's a typical lunch time ride from back when I worked on Manor Royal.  It doesn't add any tiles, I'll see if it gets flagged and what the general opinion is.  It would be one hell of a job to do all I have logged from this way from 2000-2010
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2098 on: 19 June, 2021, 03:03:24 pm »
I'd say any form of data-wrangling that allows you to upload old rides is legit; it's only yourself that you'd be cheating.

As for a cut-off date, doesn't VeloViewer do that already with annual stats and arbitrary filtering?

« Reply #2099 on: 19 June, 2021, 07:29:09 pm »
As for a cut-off date, doesn't VeloViewer do that already with annual stats and arbitrary filtering?
There's leaderboards for each year, but also for all time. Don't think there's a cut off for that. Other than before strava existed.
The Tile Collector