Author Topic: Towing things with a recumbent (two wheeled)?  (Read 2364 times)

Towing things with a recumbent (two wheeled)?
« on: 07 February, 2018, 04:04:17 pm »
Does anyone have any experience of towing things with your two wheeled recumbent?

I've got a streetmachine and since the rear wheel is a 26" I believe it can take a followme tandem to tow a child on a bike. Plus I'm guessing it's compatible with two wheeled trailers like Burley and carry freedom. I also wonder about the single wheel trailers like Bob Yak or ibex trailers.

Has anyone tried any of these out? What would you expect it to ride like if you did try it out?

I've got a followme-tandems that we'll definitely need to use on it summer tour in France or possibly Germany. My partner has a 26" mtb but we like to balance out our cycling strengths by me having the load.

Plus we've got a Burley d-lite child trailer that I'm wondering whether to turn into a dog trailer for our border terrier puppy. I also have a Bob Yak trailer clone too. Could re-cycle as a puppy carrier too perhaps but didn't like the feel of it when I used it loaded. Mind you I did overload it somewhat.

What's your opinions? Bear in mind I'm about two weeks into owning a recumbent but only one hour long ride ever on the bike. I've got the hang of it but still not had time to build confidence (and distance).

Re: Towing things with a recumbent (two wheeled)?
« Reply #1 on: 07 February, 2018, 05:12:25 pm »
I've towed a two-wheeled trailer behind two-wheeled recumbent (Chariot, ICE B2).  It worked fine, no problems at all.  You do lose any aerodynamic advantage to being on a recumbent though - back to slogging into any headwind.

We now own a followme tandem, but no longer have a recumbent.  On an upright, the followme takes a bit of getting used to, particularly once the child is heavier and higher up.  I could not honestly recommend it for a two-wheeled recumbent without testing first.

Suspect a low-down single wheel trailer like a Bob Yak would be fine, but again no actual experience of that combination.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 07 February, 2018, 05:15:17 pm »
HPVelotechnik have the following to say in the Streetmachine manual:

Trailers
You are allowed to use trailers (single or double trail) up to 40kg (88lbs) with the Street Machine GT.  We recommend you to assemble it with WEBER-coupling Type E.  Always check that the suspension and the trailer still work properly after you have mounted the trailer.  Take care that the trailer does not damage the frame in case the bicycle falls over.

I assume this is the coupling they recommend: https://en.hollandbikeshop.com/bicycle-trailers/weber-bicycle-trailers/weber-bicycle-trailer-hitches/weber-trailer-coupling-e-for-axle-mounting/  I reckon anything that fits under the skewer will work (though it might be wise to use an allen key skewer rather than a QR).

I must confess I've never actually tried towing my Carry Freedom with the Streetmachine, because I have an ICE trike available, and that's a no-brainer for heavy hauling.  The whole point in a Streetmachine is that you can carry ridiculous amounts of luggage on the bike itself.  Normally I tow with a DF hybrid, because that's more convenient for city riding.

I expect that the nose-weight of a trailer will seriously compromise the effectiveness of the suspension.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2018, 05:16:58 pm »
I've towed two kids (both under 5) in a trailer on the back of my streetmachine without issue. Actually, I've done the same once on a quetzal recumbent tandem. No stoker, so me, plus 32kgs of bike, plus 20 kgs of daughter, plus 25 kgs of son, plus the trailer, plus no end of gubbins you have to take with you when you have kids. It was fine. Stable. Lovely. Aerodynamic in just the way that a brick isn't.
Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US

« Reply #4 on: 09 February, 2018, 06:09:59 am »
Two wheeled recumbents are OK. There are issues with frame twisting and one wheel trailers on trikes.

My personal experience with the Street Machine have been to use the original BoB Yak, then the Radical Cyclone, and mix this with the Carry Freedom.

I have not had any problems with them at all. I have also been successful in towing theses with etc Challenge Hurricane and the range of trikes.

« Reply #5 on: 09 February, 2018, 06:13:33 am »
With regards to the "Followme"

If you use the `Street Machine" then the carrier on teh rear can be wide and clash with the Followme frame. Secondly if you use one of the many bikes with smaller rear wheels

« Reply #6 on: 09 February, 2018, 08:29:49 am »
The followme-tandems need at least a 26c rear wheel. I don't think it'll fit neither. I think recumbents are only good for one (unless a tandem one). Not a family use bike but about solo pleasure (solo riding in the sense of one person on or towed by it).

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 09 February, 2018, 10:23:26 am »
Two wheeled recumbents are OK. There are issues with frame twisting and one wheel trailers on trikes.

Some two wheeled recumbents suffer from this too.  My Kingcycle + BoB rig turned into a ditch-seeking missile on even the most modest downhill.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #8 on: 09 February, 2018, 05:24:05 pm »
Just remembered these

The SMGT and Cyclone on the Trans-Penine Trail

« Reply #9 on: 09 February, 2018, 05:54:32 pm »
I'm a little curious, what were you doing with the bike in the puddle, giving it a wash?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 09 February, 2018, 08:22:16 pm »
One of the great things about a Streetmachine is you can often ride through that sort of puddle without getting anything important wet.  At least if there's something you can get traction on at the bottom of it.  Otherwise there's a risk that Nothing[1] might happen.

[1] Tragically, it appears that the photographic evidence of Nothing Happening has been eaten by FriendFace: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=52233.msg1053891#msg1053891

« Reply #11 on: 03 March, 2018, 07:55:38 am »
Two family tours in France, longer 700 miles, on a Bacchetta towing a well loaded 26" Extra wheel trailer (one wheel). Only two issues; very fast down hill it would start to wobble and I had to make sure that the end of day wine purchase was balancing the weight either side by simply buying two bottles.  :thumbsup:
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5