Author Topic: Radio 4Extra WTF  (Read 1268 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Radio 4Extra WTF
« Reply #25 on: 21 April, 2024, 11:24:37 am »
Miss von Brandenburg's f-i-l started his music career in jazz, but he was later cured :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #26 on: 21 April, 2024, 11:51:30 am »
R4X is the home of the Radio Comedy Hall of Shame.

The other day I accidentally caught a few minutes of some sitcom with Marcus Brigstocke (never a good start) about a middle class family trying to be green.

Good grief... This is bad even by Radio 4 comedy standards. Come back Clare in the Community, all is forgiven…

That's one of my prize exhibits!

More to ignore; Two Doors Down, Semi-detached and Twenty Seven Year Itch. Bollock brained middle class mental masturbation.

« Reply #27 on: 21 April, 2024, 04:21:54 pm »
Miss von Brandenburg's f-i-l started his music career in jazz, but he was later cured :demon:
In vinegar, or brine?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 03:39:35 pm »
Jazz is like watching someone watch themself wanking.
As dumb statements go, that's right up there with 'people only ride bikes because they can't afford a car'.
I don't disagree - the trouble is that 'jazz' as a genre is a very deep pool.
There's are some seriously grim unfathomable depths with other very listenable pockets.
Over the years I've truly tried to understand jazz but much beyond Smooth Jazz and the lighter fringes of where 'Soul meets Jazz' escapes me.

That other folk enjoy and appreciate it (along with opera) is fine by me - each to his own, it makes the world a better place.
A classical conductor told me last summer that he wasn't "intelligent enough to enjoy jazz." Actually I can't now remember if he said enjoy, appreciate, understand, like or whatever, but it was that idea. I thought it an odd thing to say. Why do you need to be intelligent to listen to jazz? Or, come to that, any musical genre?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #29 on: Yesterday at 04:20:17 pm »
The short answer is that you don't. I can only imagine that your friend was having a little joke. I don't count myself as an expert, though I have a large collection of music of all sorts, and quite a library of books on music. Nor do I consider myself particularly intelligent. In my view it is folly to attempt to classify what is or what isn't 'jazz' - or any genre, come to that. It comes down to what connects with you. As Mike says, 'jazz' is a very deep pool. Even within the output of one musician - John Coltrane, for example - you have what might pass as 'smooth' (his work with John Hartman) through to his later experimental work (which I find pretty challenging). Personally, I can't connect with much of what is termed 'Free Jazz', so I don't bother listening to it. But do I manage to get along quite happily listening to everything from Jelly Roll Morton, or Louis Armstrong's Hot Fives and Sevens, through to the Ezra Collective, Robert Glasper, Ambrose Akinmusire, Yussef Dayes, etc., without losing sleep over whether or not it counts as 'jazz'.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #30 on: Yesterday at 04:25:02 pm »
He was quite serious about it. But I agree with jazz being a very deep – and wide – pool. Like all such pools, it contains turds and sharks as well as beautiful creatures.

« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 04:50:26 pm »
R4X is the home of the Radio Comedy Hall of Shame.

The other day I accidentally caught a few minutes of some sitcom with Marcus Brigstocke (never a good start) about a middle class family trying to be green.

Good grief... This is bad even by Radio 4 comedy standards. Come back Clare in the Community, all is forgiven…

If that's the one I think it is I liked that

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 08:12:41 pm »
Even within the output of one musician - John Coltrane, for example - you have what might pass as 'smooth' (his work with John Hartman) through to his later experimental work (which I find pretty challenging).

I have a soft spot for Miles Davis who likewise had an incredibly varied output over his career.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 10:07:58 pm »
Because I  play the saxophone many folk automatically assume I play jazz.

I don't.

At least, I try not to. I get asked to though and, because I'm nice, I usually comply and play something that many would recognise as being jazzy.

It's terribly boring though. American standards from 30s and 40s. Always: head, sax solo, keys solo, bass solo, drum solo, head. Riddled with clichés.

I prefer free improvisation which doesn't necessarily mean random noise. It can be any style you like.

Anyway, sorry, I don't listen to R4X.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 10:35:34 pm »
A classical conductor told me last summer that he wasn't "intelligent enough to enjoy jazz." Actually I can't now remember if he said enjoy, appreciate, understand, like or whatever, but it was that idea. I thought it an odd thing to say. Why do you need to be intelligent to listen to jazz? Or, come to that, any musical genre?

My parents inform me that when I was about 6 months old, I was fascinated by jazz, but would start crying within seconds of hearing bagpipes.  No intelligence needed.

« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 10:43:35 pm »

I don't.

At least, I try not to. I get asked to though and, because I'm nice, I usually comply and play something that many would recognise as being jazzy.

It's terribly boring though. American standards from 30s and 40s. Always: head, sax solo, keys solo, bass solo, drum solo, head. Riddled with clichés.

I prefer free improvisation which doesn't necessarily mean random noise. It can be any style you like.

I'd love to hear/learn more about this. Maybe best via PM if that suits you.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #36 on: Today at 08:00:02 am »

I don't.

I'd love to hear/learn more about this. Maybe best via PM if that suits you.

That'd be fine. I can send you some links to stuff on Bandcamp if you like.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #37 on: Today at 11:01:45 am »
Going back to 'zilla's jazz comment. I assumed he was channeling Joey 'The Lips' Fagan* off of that documentary** fillum about an Irish Soul band that I saw.

* "The name's Joseph Fagin. Joey 'The Lips' Fagin."
"And I'm Jimmy "The Bollocks" Rabbitte"
"I get mine from my horn playing. How'd you get yours?"

** The Commitments. Not really a documentary.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #38 on: Today at 01:15:03 pm »

My parents inform me that when I was about 6 months old, I was fascinated by jazz, but would start crying within seconds of hearing bagpipes.  No intelligence needed.
Just think how many neurons have died in your brain since you were 6 months old. You were far (even) more intelligent then than you are now.