Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 521354 times)

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
Re: MEMWNS Miscellany
« Reply #75 on: 03 December, 2015, 12:35:35 pm »
You two are fascinated by it.

At least I know what you talk about at the front of the peloton now.

The Hustler and I (when he slows down for me) discuss weightier matters like 1980s indie music.

I said they were more fascinated by it than me thanks Ted  :thumbsup: does he give you tips on riding fixed and what the best courier bags are that you can buy?

« Reply #76 on: 03 December, 2015, 12:41:26 pm »
The BFC is my fixed guru.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

The Retiree

« Reply #77 on: 03 December, 2015, 12:53:57 pm »
The BFC is my fixed guru.

Of course he is silly me, shouldn't it be Tomsk though  ::-) (just thinking back to his rapid departure down Market Hill the other week)

« Reply #78 on: 03 December, 2015, 01:37:10 pm »
Yebbut, yebbut he's got disc brakes.

Oh, and he's much better than I am at riding bikes, that probably helps too.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #79 on: 10 December, 2015, 09:24:26 am »
In the absense (again) of ted and his little friend Doggers Lane it falls to me I suppose to report on last night's ride.

Myself, bobb, Beer Fueled Commuter, young squrrelly chap (who had lights and gloves  :thumbsup: ), huggy plus Oaky set off from the Spa Road roundabout accompanied by festive tunz from the new and improved Carradice Bluetooth sound system.

The weather was colder, sub 10degs, but still unseasonably warm.  TMNH was conquered and the tunz turned off (one can have too much of a good thing).  Between the Hanningfields the peloton split with myself and huggy bringing up the rear, apparently I was being slow.  We briefly sighted bobb but never caught him and then he pressed on homewards.

Myself and huggy finally got to The Wheatsheaf to find the rest of the crew and jibers who had been there for some time.  Tomsk was there too.  The pi55 had clearly been ripped prior to my arrival as after I had wrestled the Magic Bag Midi TM through the door one of the locals said to me "Oh hello, you're the slow one are you?"

Given that Andy C33 wasn't with us either an impromptu kitty was organised and huggy elected himself Beer Bitch.  huggy has also come up with a Good Idea TM, I'll let him explain, it has been noted in The Little Book of Big Ideas.

After a couple of tasty pints (can't remember what they were called) I headed for the train station  :thumbsup:

Last night saw Fred achieve his first 1000 miles - good lad.

All in all a very nice evening.

« Reply #80 on: 10 December, 2015, 09:55:01 am »
I would only have slowed you down further.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #81 on: 10 December, 2015, 10:07:28 am »
I would only have slowed you down further.

Don't worry, it's difficult to chat whilst puffed out!

« Reply #82 on: 10 December, 2015, 10:28:55 am »
I will see if I can get out next week but it doesn't look likely.  Too many off sites and too much man flu  :facepalm:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #83 on: 10 December, 2015, 10:45:18 am »
I will see if I can get out next week but it doesn't look likely.  Too many off sites and too much man flu  :facepalm:

It's the quiz next Wednesday - we'll need you.  You're allowed to come by car.  I'll bring you a flash of Lemsip.

The Retiree

« Reply #84 on: 10 December, 2015, 11:17:50 am »
It's the quiz next Wednesday - we'll need you.  You're allowed to come by car.  I'll bring you a flash of Lemsip.

Will he bring much to the table though........  ???

« Reply #85 on: 10 December, 2015, 11:23:42 am »

You're allowed to come by car. 

Coming by car, going home by train.  What is MEMWNS coming to when the godfather has let his personal standards drop so far.

Perhaps, after Xmas, Tomsk could lead you through an intensive course of behavioural therapy based around the true meaning of MEMWNS.  It could be your personal epiphany  O:-)

I doubt the quiz team will be any stronger or weaker whether I make it or not.  I have a sneaking suspicion that it is already a fairly formidable prospect.  If enough people pitch up at Spa you could even have A and B teams.

The Retiree

« Reply #86 on: 10 December, 2015, 11:26:58 am »

Coming by car, going home by train.  What is MEMWNS coming to when the godfather has let his personal standards drop so far.

It's sad times unfortunately nowadays Ted with these train journeys and the encouragement of travelling to from said venues by motor assisted transport.....  ::-) although we are yet to have it denied that Fred has a motor fitted somewhere  :o

Oscar's dad

« Reply #87 on: 10 December, 2015, 11:28:54 am »

Will he bring much to the table though........  ???

I think he will, we all will!  You'll bring your encyclopaedic knowledge of dogging even though you're now pretending you aren't the expert you formally claimed to be  ;D

Anyhow, where were you last night?  Are you going to improve on your rabbit hutch excuse?  I don't like it when you're not with us as our "friends" naturally gravitate to taking the piss out of me when there isn't a readily available alternative - like you.  I don't mind them taking the piss out of me but I'm such an easy target so taking the piss isn't very challenging - it makes them lazy.  You provide some much needed variety.  It's a bit like feeding lions in safari parks, if you simply chuck a dead horse down in front of them it ultimately does said lions no good at all.  Much better to cut the dead horse up into tiny pieces and hide the bits up trees and stuff.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #88 on: 10 December, 2015, 11:32:54 am »

You're allowed to come by car. 

Perhaps, after Xmas, Tomsk could lead you through an intensive course of behavioural therapy based around the true meaning of MEMWNS.  It could be your personal epiphany  O:-)

Fear not, I guard my personal motivation jealously it is such a precious commodity, there is method to my perceived madness.  Come the New Year you might detect a change.

The Retiree

« Reply #89 on: 10 December, 2015, 11:33:53 am »

I think he will, we all will!  You'll bring your encyclopaedic knowledge of dogging even though you're now pretending you aren't the expert you formally claimed to be  ;D

Anyhow, where were you last night?  Are you going to improve on your rabbit hutch excuse?  I don't like it when you're not with us as our "friends" naturally gravitate to taking the piss out of me when there isn't a readily available alternative - like you.  I don't mind them taking the piss out of me but I'm such an easy target so taking the piss isn't very challenging - it makes them lazy.  You provide some much needed variety.  It's a bit like feeding lions in safari parks, if you simply chuck a dead horse down in front of them it ultimately does said lions no good at all.  Much better to cut the dead horse up into tiny pieces and hide the bits up trees and stuff.

As I believe I have mentioned on these pages before, it appears that others of this parish are more fascinated by doggers Hurrell Lane as regularly routing us down there proves - I avoid it like the plague  O:-)

I was somewhat put off by the mention of a train journey home last night  :facepalm: and didn't fancy a potential trip back from Chelmo on me jack jones so decided to watch the Apprentice instead  ;D

It must of been a tough night for you without myself and The Hustler to abuse.....

Oscar's dad

« Reply #90 on: 10 December, 2015, 11:35:55 am »
Like I said, you, ted and the grudging Beer Bitch were missed.  Anyhow, I must get on with some work ...

The Retiree

« Reply #91 on: 10 December, 2015, 11:37:22 am »
Like I said, you, ted and the grudging Beer Bitch were missed.  Anyhow, I must get on with some work ...

Always nice to hear   :-*

« Reply #92 on: 10 December, 2015, 12:24:49 pm »
I think he means an off site with a customer.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #93 on: 10 December, 2015, 12:29:16 pm »
I was somewhat put off by the mention of a train journey home last night  :facepalm: and didn't fancy a potential trip back from Chelmo on me jack jones so decided to watch the Apprentice instead  ;D
It was only OD that left early to give his overworked liver a rest and his underused legs a rest from Chelmsford to Witham on the train.  Four of us cycled all the way home to Witham  :smug:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #94 on: 10 December, 2015, 12:33:44 pm »
Tomsk probably went home via Ipswich just to stretch his legs a bit and make OD feel even worse about bailing.

I am finding it very easy to comment on the laziness of others when I haven't even managed to get out on a Wednesday night for weeks  :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #95 on: 10 December, 2015, 01:37:26 pm »
Another great night, after not having any rear stopping for the last 15 miles part of my ride last night I investigated and replaced the pads - noticed the disc looked warped, took it off, its pancake flat... I can only assume the 'buckle' sensation must be a bent spindle now.... not come across one of those since I was a kid!

I guess the question is do I get a new rear wheel or try and source a new QR spindle?!? (I have mentioned how much I hate cone bearing adjustment! LOL)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #96 on: 10 December, 2015, 02:56:44 pm »
Yeah, don't repair stuff. Replace it.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #97 on: 10 December, 2015, 03:11:50 pm »
And just in case any of you think I was kidding when I said me and Fred were getting the train home last night and in reality we beat Tomsk to Ipswich here is Fred atmospherically posing next to a bag of litter on a windswept Chelmsford railway station platform ...

The Retiree

« Reply #98 on: 10 December, 2015, 04:57:15 pm »
^^^^^ were you disappointed not to receive a personal message from the driver?

« Reply #99 on: 14 December, 2015, 02:00:04 pm »
Right folks....Santa Special, I know a few of us are signed up for it.

Anyone else planning on riding up to Bentley?

I am planning on heading off from home around 6 so I can relax at the hall with breakfast before the off. Happy to meet along the way somewhere or at the hall.