Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517653 times)

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
Re: MEMWNS Miscellany
« Reply #725 on: 05 April, 2016, 09:16:54 pm »
Such a pity they've got this design fault. They were made this way for ease of assembly in the factory I presume. As the BFC suggests you may be able to glue the cups into the frame or fit oversize cups as tippers suggests. Either way this would probably invalidate the frame warranty.

Just so inconvenient faffing around with it until Trek replace the frame. Inconvenient for your mates that is, the ones being let down this weekend. ;D

« Reply #726 on: 05 April, 2016, 09:20:55 pm »
The next set are the oversized ones.  They are trek's v2 which rather suggests that v1 was rubbish.  T'internet suggests that v2 is no better but I will wait and see.

I am sure a punch, a headset press and a spare BB could be hidden somewhere around Huggy's luggage for the BCM.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

rr

« Reply #727 on: 05 April, 2016, 09:35:43 pm »
FWIW the BB86 on my Rose has survived 4 years 8k and emersion in muddy water as well as being ridden off road by a fat git

« Reply #728 on: 05 April, 2016, 10:32:19 pm »
According to Thomas's Cycle Revolution that is impossible.   One of  you must be wrong.
 I wonder who....

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #729 on: 05 April, 2016, 10:37:32 pm »
Different type of BB Ted, as per my post earlier, one better engineered than the other....
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #730 on: 05 April, 2016, 11:18:13 pm »
No, according to them "that's just what modern bottom brackets are like, they need to be looked after when it rains"

At least I won't have to save up for an Emonda now.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #731 on: 06 April, 2016, 12:05:18 am »
This BB stuff is utter nonsense. A bike that can't be ridden in the rain?  It's a scandal. To think we get an emergency Panorama programme just because it transpires a Panamanian law firm is helping rich folks stay rich. The really big scandal is being overlooked.

« Reply #732 on: 06 April, 2016, 09:35:47 am »
Just a thought, how come tippers hasn't had BB problems with his Trek?
Don't Jinx it!

I replaced mine a while before PBP but more so because I wanted to, it would likely have been fine but I was replacing things and did not want to leave that out.

I hear lots of people have issues with Press Fit but I seem to be OK so far on both the Trek and the Croix De Fer (Which has the Hope PF86 like Tom's which seems to be brilliantly engineered in all fairness)

I think you are VERY limited with what you can do with the trek BB90 and from my searching it was difficult to find bearings anywhere that would fit, hence I ended up going for the trek one from the shop. The Headset is the same, I used the Cane Creek fit tool thing and the top bearing was fine but the lower one was wrong and I could not source the right size anywhere but from the shop for the lower one in the end.

Ted, if the bike is not already in the shop I actually have the V2 bearing at home (I bought them by accident from JE James) you could have them if you want them.

It Seem BB90 is Ted's equivalent of my Tubeless!

« Reply #733 on: 06 April, 2016, 10:31:57 am »
I have just been to Thomas's Cycle Revolution to collect the bike and pay £32.99 for a new BB90 for my Trek Domane 4.3.

It hasn't been fitted for an extra £25 so I will need to borrow a headset press or similar from someone.

I have also been given detailed advice on how to look after a press fit bottom bracket because mine wasn't being looked after properly.

If you use the bike in the rain then you just "pop the cranks off and wipe any water or mud out of shell and off the surface of the bottom bracket".  This should also be done every "few weeks" even if you haven't been out in the rain.

People that have survived without doing this like Tippers and rr are "lucky".

The fact that the bearings will have got wet while the water is in there is not a problem. As long as you wipe the outside of the bb, they should last much longer.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #734 on: 06 April, 2016, 10:36:09 am »
Bonkers. 

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #735 on: 06 April, 2016, 10:38:02 am »
If you pick up the tools to fit it from tippers, he can probably sell you a nice set of tubeless tyres, hardly worn, to fit at the same time.  ;D
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #736 on: 06 April, 2016, 10:44:58 am »
If you pick up the tools to fit it from tippers, he can probably sell you a nice set of tubeless tyres, hardly worn, to fit at the same time.  ;D

;D

Funny you should mention that, I am probably going to go tubeless when my new wheels are ready for the fixed machine.

What could possibly go wrong ?

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #737 on: 06 April, 2016, 10:57:10 am »
I hear that the TrekBontrager tubeless tyres are really good although you do have to stop and wipe them down every time you ride through a puddle.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #738 on: 06 April, 2016, 11:03:29 am »
In fairness I often have to wipe myself down after riding through water  :facepalm:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #739 on: 06 April, 2016, 11:08:48 am »
The other day I reported to ted that the pothole that laid him low a few weekends ago has been fixed.

« Reply #740 on: 06 April, 2016, 11:19:17 am »
If it's any consolation, the Campag UT bearings on my Tripster have started to creak already. Just 2,365.8 miles since new. I'll probably make it to 3,000 before it gets unbearbable.

Of course, I've been abusing it - bikes fitted with Campag UT should only ever be ridden on sunny days in Tuscany  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #741 on: 06 April, 2016, 11:24:03 am »
You should put something on Twitter to Trek.....I'll leave it up to the more eloquent to do though.  I would be seriously interested to see what trek say about a bike that they designed to be ridden over Pave not being able to handle a bit of Grit or rain without what I would consider to be intensive cleaning after it.

Surely a bike that requires that amount of care is not suitable for mass public sales and I would have thought that giving a lifetime frame warranty they would be looking to make them to last.

Considering the amount of Domane's and other BB90 bikes out there I still think it is more of a case of you were unlucky than I have been lucky.

« Reply #742 on: 06 April, 2016, 11:27:24 am »
Damage to bearings often occurs during fitting or removal - the bearing should only be pressed in with force on the outer bearing shell, never on its center. Removal often can only be achieved with force/impact on the center, if this is the case the removed bearings are scrap even if there were OK before the removal. The bike shop that fitted the bearings last time may have damaged them during installation.
Know that pulling the Crank set out requires some 'tapping' to get it to release I suspect that this is not particularly good for the bearings either and doing it 'every few weeks' or after every wet ride, or I suspect it should also be done after washing it would shorten the life of the bearings as well.

« Reply #743 on: 06 April, 2016, 11:34:18 am »
Damage to bearings often occurs during fitting or removal - the bearing should only be pressed in with force on the outer bearing shell, never on its center. Removal often can only be achieved with force/impact on the center, if this is the case the removed bearings are scrap even if there were OK before the removal. The bike shop that fitted the bearings last time may have damaged them during installation.
Know that pulling the Crank set out requires some 'tapping' to get it to release I suspect that this is not particularly good for the bearings either and doing it 'every few weeks' or after every wet ride, or I suspect it should also be done after washing it would shorten the life of the bearings as well.

But what do we know ?  We are not people who work in Trek dealerships.  They know what they are talking about and would not have any reason to be protective of their brand or avoid warranty problems on behalf of Trek, would they ?

Maybe my Trek Domane is a sensitive soul like me.

« Reply #744 on: 06 April, 2016, 11:43:17 am »
If you told the average person buying a Domane/Madone/Emonda that if the bike is out in the rain or just every few weeks in any case you should remove the cranks and essentially give the BB a small service how many people do you reckon would still buy one? I know I wouldn't have.

« Reply #745 on: 06 April, 2016, 11:50:33 am »
I've been half considering a Domane or a Madone but after reading all this I think I'll look elsewhere.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #746 on: 06 April, 2016, 11:51:11 am »
Yes, it's absolutely ridiculous. I suspect the Trek dealers don't impart that information when you buy a bike and I bet it's not in the owners manual/information either. It's a design fault for which Trek are liable, product not fit for reasonable use.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #747 on: 06 April, 2016, 11:56:06 am »
If it's any consolation, the Campag UT bearings on my Tripster have started to creak already. Just 2,365.8 miles since new. I'll probably make it to 3,000 before it gets unbearbable.

Of course, I've been abusing it - bikes fitted with Campag UT should only ever be ridden on sunny days in Tuscany  :P

And then only to the local coffee shop.

The Shimano bb I fitted to my Tripster only lasted 3000km. I replaced it with a Hope bb which is much better engineered and has replacable bearings.

Not sure if Hope make Campagnolo fit bbs., I suspect you'll fit a Chris King or something similar anyway.

« Reply #748 on: 06 April, 2016, 12:01:21 pm »

Not sure if Hope make Campagnolo fit bbs., I suspect you'll fit a Chris King or something similar anyway.

Hadn't thought of that. Will have a look!

The annoying thing is, the first ever UT chainset I had (when they first came out) the bb bearings lasted about 10,000 miles! Since then, I've had two sets lasting only 3000 each (on the Dolan) and now the same on the Tripster. I should maybe have the BB shell faced to see if that helps, but as I understand it, most places refuse to do it on Ti frames due to it wrecking their tools/shitting themselves about fucking it up....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #749 on: 06 April, 2016, 12:21:35 pm »
They don't make 'em like they used to. I had a Shimano Octalink bb that lasted 25 years in my steel frame, it only failed when the frame threads corroded away.

The threads and facing on the Tripster were the best I've seen, I'm pretty sure the bb was square, by sight anyway.