Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517824 times)

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #1225 on: 27 May, 2016, 07:54:13 pm »
Phwoarrr, I fancy a Brazilian. ;D

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1226 on: 27 May, 2016, 08:03:56 pm »
It was nice! Coffee & Vanilla!
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1227 on: 28 May, 2016, 03:59:16 pm »
Subject to validation of my 150km DIY this morning, I have now completed the Grand Slam* under 'Tomsk Rules', [ie exact distances, no substitutions]: Dunmow, Trumpington, Red Lodge, Long Melford and back, nice ride, once it warmed up, fingers struggled to operate the ATM in Trumpington! ...A new set of medals coming soon to grace the 'trophy cabinet'  :thumbsup:

* Of course not a prestigious Essex Grand Slam until the Flatlands, had to rely on some Welsh Ride  ;D

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1228 on: 28 May, 2016, 11:25:53 pm »
Great ride out today accompanying Grant round his first test ride of the 100km R&R route.  Beer was partaken, new 'spoons in Maldon was worth a visit - good weather too! Managed to bag my second Essex plastic urinal as well  :thumbsup:

ETA: Plus a proper anvil in Danbury too :D
Regards,

Joergen

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #1229 on: 29 May, 2016, 09:46:57 am »
Good work fellow Acme devils :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1230 on: 29 May, 2016, 06:25:10 pm »
Paging Tom.....

I appear to have been a numpty date wise and missed the entry cut off for A&S.... oppps.... any way of sliding an entry in still?
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1231 on: 30 May, 2016, 10:10:11 am »
No problem jiberjaber - bring me an entry form, SAE & cheque [or paypal to my email] - either on Wednesday evening or Saturday morning for an 'EOL' - you're not the only one, by the way!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1232 on: 30 May, 2016, 10:39:18 am »
No problem jiberjaber - bring me an entry form, SAE & cheque [or paypal to my email] - either on Wednesday evening or Saturday morning for an 'EOL' - you're not the only one, by the way!

Paypal funds sent  :thumbsup: :)

ETA: Entry form emailed over too (hope that works :) )
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1233 on: 30 May, 2016, 12:46:47 pm »
How many ACMErs are riding A&S? I've entered  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1234 on: 30 May, 2016, 12:54:40 pm »
I think GD and Andy are in also - I am hoping to ride with them to stop me killing myself in the first 100-200km!

Looking at trains, they need reservations and it's knocking on £22 return (they will only allow 2 singles, plus have to call to reserve bike spaces in both directions, only 6 bikes per train).
40 mins on the train plus 15 mins ride to the station.

NCP car park at station is £13 for 2 days and can be booked on Ringo app plus provides convenient sleeping location, 50 mins drive time for me.

Seems like I might be driving, I so much wanted to train it there for sake of safe passage on the return etc but they make it a lot harder than it should be!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1235 on: 30 May, 2016, 01:44:23 pm »
I've never bothered booking a train either to or from Manningtree. Just turned up, bought a ticket and chucked bike on. Has something changed recently that requires a booking?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1236 on: 30 May, 2016, 01:55:43 pm »
Looking at the options, they all said bike reservations required. 

I think its cause its the 07:34 intercity to Norwich, so slam doors etc..  07:12 Ipswich train shows reservations required too. ??
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1237 on: 30 May, 2016, 05:14:04 pm »
NCP car park at station is £13 for 2 days and can be booked on Ringo app plus provides convenient sleeping location, 50 mins drive time for me.

Seems like I might be driving, I so much wanted to train it there for sake of safe passage on the return etc but they make it a lot harder than it should be!
unless you want to park at the station there is no need to. I've parked in the industrial estates before near the Co-op, also on the causeway just behind the Mogul restaurant (not that there's a pre-ride curry on the A&S). Quiet for a nap before driving home too!
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #1238 on: 30 May, 2016, 06:34:19 pm »
I am not riding....I've had me fill of overnighters for a couple of months.

I parked at the station for the G&Y and I think it was only 3.50 or so, paid there at the machine by card. Agree with Huggy though, plenty of free parking just near the bottom of the hill around the industrial estates etc.

« Reply #1239 on: 30 May, 2016, 07:46:11 pm »
I am riding. Parking at the station. Probably collecting the Hustler on the way.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #1240 on: 30 May, 2016, 09:38:21 pm »
If you are parking at the station make sure your ticket is VERY visible.  I got a ticket last year because mine had slipped slightly down the dashboard and the time of parking wasn't visible.  The irony is that at the time it was issued, I was asleep in the back, having a post-ride snooze before driving home!

(Should add that I contested it, successfully)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #1241 on: 31 May, 2016, 08:17:48 am »
I'm riding, the thought of an SR series keeping me going :thumbsup:

« Reply #1242 on: 31 May, 2016, 03:39:29 pm »
OK ACMErs, web hosting costs:

Hosting: £0 (I aready pay for this)
Dedicated IP (for SSL): £24/year
SSL cert: £xx/year

We'll have to pay £24/year for the IP, the SSL cert will be additional. We could go down the various free SSL routes, but to be honest, it just looks a complete pain in the arse. Unless somebody else wants to sort that, I'd rather just buy one. I can get one for another £24/year.

So all in all, it will cost us £48/year.

Or we fuck SSL off completely and it will be £0.

What do we think?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1243 on: 31 May, 2016, 05:02:36 pm »
Do we need SSL ? Can we add it later ?  Free option as an early starter and if we need a more trusted SSL, pay for one then? 
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1244 on: 31 May, 2016, 05:59:49 pm »
Do we need SSL ? Can we add it later ?  Free option as an early starter and if we need a more trusted SSL, pay for one then? 

Well, we don't need it, so we could go without. However, it all depends on how we want to treat our members. There will be areas that require a login, where will be a registration process, we will be storing mildly confidential data. All of this will be sent unencrypted without SSL. Do we really want to do that? Do we not want to show our members that we respect their privacy? Do we not want to show the world what a professional bunch ACME are?  :P

So we don't need it and I would happily go without if people are happy with that....

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1245 on: 31 May, 2016, 06:01:04 pm »
Sounds like the free option to get us going and a paid for at a later date might be a good route then?
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1246 on: 31 May, 2016, 06:05:52 pm »
I wouldn't know an SSL if it popped out of me Carradice wearing a traffic cone on its head but I do think we should be looking after folk's privacy.

« Reply #1247 on: 31 May, 2016, 06:18:48 pm »
Sounds like the free option to get us going and a paid for at a later date might be a good route then?

It would never be totally free as we'd still need to stump up £24 for the dedicated IP. Another £24 gets us a cert too. Is it really worth trying to save what is effectively less than a round of drinks on an SSL cert?  :P

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1248 on: 31 May, 2016, 06:35:21 pm »
I vote we do the job properly. I'll let you clever sods decide what "properly" looks like.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1249 on: 31 May, 2016, 07:11:04 pm »
I was just thinking about the overall costs, which I haven't been keeping track of but numbers like +£75, +£50, +£30 plus what ever else to get us out of the blocks and some of them costs are annual.

Just hearing about what has to be a minimum coverage of entries to pay for a hall makes my question perhaps we should cut our cloth to suit until we have some cash coming in from else where....

eg: if it takes 70 entries to break even on hall rental for 2 events on one day, we are potentially looking like an additional 5 entries to cover the SSl etc...

I know we are planning more than 1 event over a year - but we are not there yet :) If we can do it for free until there are sufficient in the coffers, and move over to a paid for option when the need dictates (online shop?) then perhaps that might be the more cost effective way?

Regards,

Joergen