Author Topic: I carried this on my bicycle  (Read 215256 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: I carried this on my bicycle
« Reply #575 on: 06 January, 2017, 12:04:56 am »
If only it were a pedalo then it'd definitely be a winner! Unless someone manages to tow the Gossamer Albatross...  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #576 on: 06 January, 2017, 12:06:37 am »
If only it were a pedalo then it'd definitely be a winner!

Paging Arch.  Arch to the skip-dived courtesy phone, please...

« Reply #577 on: 06 January, 2017, 07:51:23 am »
Arch used to have a pedal boat, and it has been towed ( by the late Tom Riley) on my trailer behind the Wobblebike!  :D

I did build a conversion kit for my trailer so that I could fit floats and a bike rack so that I could tow it behind my pedalboat, but we chickened out of launching it.  :-[

(My trailer webpage).  :smug:

Respect to Delap, though. That's an impressive boat/tow-load.  :thumbsup:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #578 on: 06 January, 2017, 09:18:21 am »
small boat.  I used a second launching trailer as the linkage.  Road trailer is lashed to the the axle and the handle is hooked over the child seat.

https://goo.gl/photos/XQEVp2rBKUSSh4hWA
What was braking like?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

fuzzy

« Reply #579 on: 06 January, 2017, 04:39:12 pm »
small boat.  I used a second launching trailer as the linkage.  Road trailer is lashed to the the axle and the handle is hooked over the child seat.

What was braking like?

Rim, disc, rod or anchor?

« Reply #580 on: 06 January, 2017, 11:09:24 pm »
Arch used to have a pedal boat, and it has been towed ( by the late Tom Riley) on my trailer behind the Wobblebike!  :D

I did build a conversion kit for my trailer so that I could fit floats and a bike rack so that I could tow it behind my pedalboat, but we chickened out of launching it.  :-[

I just found a photo of me towing the boat with the Wobblebike:

:D
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #581 on: 07 January, 2017, 12:10:25 am »
rather more impressive than my trip today, my first with the large-Y trailer. I went to Currys to collect a tv cables and wall bracket which I had ordered online..

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #582 on: 09 January, 2017, 12:30:28 pm »

I just found a photo of me towing the boat with the Wobblebike:

:D
It's a bit like a spot the ball competition, cunningly misleading because the bike, the trailer and rider are all going in different directions, none of them the intended one.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #583 on: 09 January, 2017, 12:56:01 pm »

Just noticed the child seat.

Redundant, surely, with the seating capacity of the boat?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #584 on: 26 January, 2017, 02:05:13 pm »
A very knackered double mattress, on the Carry Freedom trailer, off to the recycling centre.  I forgot to take a photo of it, ''in situ", but you can see how clumsy it is, from the Fly6 viewpoint.  It was a little back heavy, wanting to lift the bike up, but my weight soon solved that!  Getting it "rolled up" was also interesting, although a 5 tonne ratchet tie-down helped achieve that, somewhat. :)

Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #585 on: 26 January, 2017, 02:14:32 pm »
My friend has just been round to collect a microwave with his Carry Freedom.

Not exactly a spectacular load.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #586 on: 26 January, 2017, 03:01:52 pm »
A very knackered double mattress, on the Carry Freedom trailer, off to the recycling centre.

I did one of those: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11163.msg1514987#msg1514987

I used the long hitch, so could overhang the front a bit further and achieve a sensible amount of nose weight.  Main problem was that it squirmed around a bit and started to rub one of the wheels (though thankfully only when I was nearly at the tip).  Mattresses are very uncooperative things.

« Reply #587 on: 26 January, 2017, 03:50:37 pm »
... Mattresses are very uncooperative things.

Yes to that!  I had to lie on mine, to hold it in place, whilst I wrestled with the ratchet on the tie-down, one-handedly !

It wasn't heavy enough that I worried too much about it hanging off the back of the trailer a bit.  So, I didn't need the bigger hitch, which makes the whole arrangement very long, and even more difficult to get around cycle path barriers.

Rolling it up lengthwise, rather than widthwise, did keep the overall length down, at the cost of a greater struggle to "roll" it up.

« Reply #588 on: 30 January, 2017, 12:06:30 am »

Just noticed the child seat.

Redundant, surely, with the seating capacity of the boat?

Umm, the child seat was the hitch, so not redundant...

To answer an earlier poster's what was braking like? it was to be avoided.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #589 on: 30 January, 2017, 01:05:14 pm »
Oh, I see! I hadn't spotted that.

:thumbsup:
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #590 on: 20 February, 2017, 05:02:05 pm »
A very knackered double mattress, on the Carry Freedom trailer, off to the recycling centre.

Our very knackered mattress received a visit from Dr Hacksaw and Mr Stanley Knife after which it was far less unco-operative. A surprising amount of the weight of a mattress is the fabric cover and the felt. It then got the attention of Dr Bolt Cropper, after which it was remarkably small.

« Reply #591 on: 21 February, 2017, 11:56:09 am »

Our very knackered mattress received a visit from Dr Hacksaw and Mr Stanley Knife after which it was far less unco-operative. A surprising amount of the weight of a mattress is the fabric cover and the felt. It then got the attention of Dr Bolt Cropper, after which it was remarkably small.

Next time someone dumps one in my alleyway I may well do that rather than pay the council to pick it up.

« Reply #592 on: 07 April, 2017, 12:27:44 pm »
I donated my Rayleigh Record Sprint to Re-Cycle and got it there by strapping it to my Brompton.
It was a bit wobbly but no real problems.

https://goo.gl/photos/1H9Cf9kpMH17NJ9x7

Google image links don't show here so it's a link to the folder.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #593 on: 07 April, 2017, 11:19:27 pm »
http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/15210128.Cyclist_spotted__wearing_a_shed__on_morning_commute/

But then again this could go into a few other threads, like On the commute today etc
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #594 on: 08 April, 2017, 08:43:34 am »
But then again this could go into a few other threads, like On the commute today etc

Indeed; the witness was driving a car just in order to take her son's lunch to school.  And I think the man on the bike stopped, specifically at a shop which isn't open any more, in order to have a cigarette.  There is something very special about local news.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.

« Reply #596 on: 09 May, 2017, 07:50:06 pm »
Is there an "I carried this bike on my bike" thread ?  ;D

About 4 miles so that the Genesis could be given in for warranty frame repair

« Reply #597 on: 13 May, 2017, 05:24:19 pm »

You're in the correct thread.

« Reply #598 on: 16 May, 2017, 03:46:47 pm »

You're in the correct thread.

FTFY, I will not take credit for the Pikes craziness when I only took the photo of a tandem and trailer where the trailer had two mountain bikes in it.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #599 on: 16 May, 2017, 04:02:30 pm »
Well at least the bikes in the trailer are wearing a magic hat. Sorry wrong thread and yes that is.my jacket, how kind of you ......
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit