Author Topic: Wooden shed damp/rot  (Read 3356 times)

Wooden shed damp/rot
« on: 27 November, 2017, 03:33:25 pm »
Purchased a house in West Scotland a couple of months ago with a sizable shed in the back garden. Seems to be a fair amount of water getting in and starting to blacken (rot?) the wood in various locations. I've cleared the outside of leaves and moss which might transmit the water, the exterior is treated with Ronseal type shed paint and the base is on paving. No sign of any membrane sheeting underneath.

It definitely appears to be getting worse recently so would like to be able to stop/slow the damage. Drying it out is a problem given the weather and season, would obviously like to do this before applying a new coat of paint, probably waiting till spring/summer to do this. Lifting the thing up to give it a better base is a no-go for various reasons.

Any remedial things I can do until I can get it dried and repainted? The doors don't shut properly so ventilation isn't really an issue!

Any tips appreciated.

Re: Wooden shed damp/rot
« Reply #1 on: 27 November, 2017, 03:48:13 pm »
Roof leaking?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: 27 November, 2017, 04:37:36 pm »
Most people on here are southerners.  They won't understand what rain can do in the West of Scotland.   

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #3 on: 27 November, 2017, 05:09:29 pm »
If the moisture ingress cannot be stopped then you are on a hiding to nothing. The paint will probably be microporous to allow moisture to escape but if the prevailing conditions are such that the timber cannot dry out for months on end then bar covering the thing with a tarpaulin seems to me that there are  currently few options.

https://www.engineshed.org/publications/publication/?publicationId=b0845edf-c789-43ce-adb1-a598009936b6

« Reply #4 on: 27 November, 2017, 06:09:43 pm »
Most people on here are southerners.  They won't understand what rain can do in the West of Scotland.

I was going to say the best remedy is to move!  Glasgow is the only place I’ve lived where if it missed you coming down the rain would get you when it bounced back up!!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 27 November, 2017, 07:39:54 pm »

I was going to say the best remedy is to move!  Glasgow is the only place I’ve lived where if it missed you coming down the rain would get you when it bounced back up!!

+1!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 27 November, 2017, 08:31:09 pm »
If it is near the sea then paint won't last long, in fact it probably doesn't matter if it isn't near the sea, paint won't last long.

My advice is that if you do paint it, take a photo, then you can remember what it was like.  :)
It is simpler than it looks.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #7 on: 27 November, 2017, 08:47:56 pm »
You need to dry it out, because when timber has a moisture content of above 18% it gives fungi and insects a chance to get established.

No amount of paint or magic chemicals will protect the timber from decay if it is permanently wet.

« Reply #8 on: 28 November, 2017, 08:10:42 am »
Thankfully i'm a fair distance from the coast, but worrying close to Glasgow...

Sounds like covering the roof with a tarp might be my only option until it dries out. My worry is that the moisture is being absorbed from the base, in which case my options are few and far between.

Cheers for the tips.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9 on: 28 November, 2017, 08:21:00 am »
In the West of Scotland it's horizontal rain you have to contend with too.  I've seen houses with the western wall covered in "scales", presumably of zinc, and they do that in the mountains here as well. Roofing felt might do as well.

Re tarps, the folk next door to us patched their barn roof with one some years back but the wind flogged it bits in a few months.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #10 on: 28 November, 2017, 08:56:12 am »
Timber sheds are not cheap these days and require on going maintenance. Given the local weather conditions you might want to consider a replacement polycarbonate/resin shed but dont forget the anchor kit. Allegedly maintenance free. (not sure how they cope with vermin but that applies to timber too) Some are very aesthetically pleasing e.g. Keter fusion.

« Reply #11 on: 28 November, 2017, 09:05:37 am »

Yes I do....... it filters through the local geographical features and makes excellent whisky!

« Reply #12 on: 28 November, 2017, 10:12:54 am »
 ;D

Every cloud..

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #13 on: 06 December, 2017, 09:05:28 am »
How about covering the shed?

« Reply #14 on: 06 December, 2017, 01:07:26 pm »

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #15 on: 11 December, 2017, 12:15:50 am »
It’s so big there’s an echo!  ;D

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #17 on: 11 December, 2017, 09:00:44 am »
It should be smaller the third time.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #18 on: 28 December, 2017, 08:23:28 pm »
Replace it and get it coated in LineX :D
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #19 on: 08 January, 2018, 10:44:16 am »
'Giant cage' plan for Helensburgh's Mackintosh Hill House

The Vyne is currently undergoing a major rooftop restoration, with scaffolding over the entire house. The NT have made the works fully accessible with a scaffolding walkway around, it makes for a truly fascinating perspective and I recommend it fully.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #20 on: 08 January, 2018, 12:41:38 pm »
Foto no work.

« Reply #21 on: 08 January, 2018, 01:05:45 pm »
should be fixed