Linked Events

• Mad March 200: 07 March, 2010

Author Topic: Mad March Coasts and Quantocks 200  (Read 8278 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Mad March Coasts and Quantocks 200
« Reply #25 on: 08 March, 2010, 11:12:50 am »
The day didn't begin so great for me.  I had miscalculated how brass-monkeyish the weather would be first thing.  I had a small saddlepack and no extra gloves etc.  So I had to stuff my hands up my jersey at regular intervals.  This meant I was late to the start and was rewarded by the site of everyone else pounding up the hill towards me.  The only rider I spotted that I knew at that point was Ian Weatherel, who I didn't see later.

The first person I caught was a woman who was worried about the ice.   Apparently she'd come off earlier.  This meant that she was slowing up for every puddle etc.

The next person I passed was our own tonyh.  He was twiddling a teeny tiny gear but making steady progress.

Another group of late starters caught me before Budleigh but they then stopped for a discussion about the route and I didn't see them again.  I wonder if they made it as the route wasn't complicated at that point.

Caught a few more people after the turn around at the info control.  Info question "type of memorial"
on the route sheet "turn left at the war memorial" little clue there.

Favorite stone strewn lane from Otterton to Tipton st john.  Didn't catch anyone else until the next control at the Esso garage.  Passed a few more on the climb past Escotts.  The ground was getting less icey now.  Caught up with M. Pumpe and Toby.  Complimented Pumpe on his all day rear light.  Fantastically bright.  He complimented me on the spike of hair sticking through the top of my helmet.  I wouldn't normally have caught Pumpe.  Ianh told me later Pumpe had done another 200 the day before...

Rode with Pumpe/Toby.  Rod passed me as I removed layers.  Lost Pumpe/Toby at Tiverton control when they followed the GPS on an extra detour down the hill.  Quick stamp and go at the Canal Tearooms as there was only instant coffee on offer: the cafe was being rebuilt.

Put on some good pace up the Exe Valley and caught the French guy on fixed group at Wheddon X.  Rode with them to Blue Anchor.  Saw Jason Hinton at Blue Anchor.  Quickly through control at station and around corner to Driftwood cafe.  Spent 25 minutes on beans/egg/toast/excellent cappuccino.

Took it easy for half an hour to aid digestion.  After this passed Roy (I didn't realise it was him) and then he caught me up on "dead womans ditch" climb.  The descent down the other side of that hill is mad!  Spent the rest of that section until the control at the Parramores house talking to Roy and so didn't go fast.

After 2 teas, 3 bits of cake and a discussion with a septuagenarian time trialist ( typical for this control, one of the delights of the event ) I went on a slight diversion home and had a quick plate of Goolash.  Picked up my ski mitts and woolly hat.  Then I rode very fast to the finish, faster than in the morning.  Said hi to Ianh, had a beer then rode home

Saw tonyh again, coming towards the finish: he was by no means last.  The last group I saw coming in was just outside Cullompton at ten to eight.

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #26 on: 08 March, 2010, 12:04:15 pm »
I can only reiterate here the praise for this event. It was a great day and and very nice route for most parts. I took the liberty to publish a GPS track of Exeter's Mad March 2010 Audax 200km route. If you look at the route it has its fair share of A-Roads. From yesterday's experience, the A396 from Tiverton along the upper Exe to Dunster was surprisingly calm, traffic-wise. The leg along the Bristol channel was not so nice, hilly, headswinds and loads of cars until the Quantock Hills. The rest of the ride was ok to calm.

The whole route has long flat stretches which makes it rather suitable for an early year ride. Also for those of you who are not titans on a fixie (like myself) this could be your 200k event. The first biting hills are between Cullompton and Tiverton, the climb out of the Exe Valley is very gentle (didn't expect that), the Bristol Channel leg is hilly but doable (as I said I was more annoyed by the heavy traffic), Quantock Hills are again a bit on the rough side for the undergeared (esp. the downhill part if your on a fixie - that ramp gave me cramping calves). The rest of the tour is fine again.

Thanks to Pippa and all the other organisers. My first proper Audax and it was a real pleasure to ride. Also, my first attempt to ride more than 100km on a fixie and I am happy I made under 10h (which I did not expect at all; would I have been considerably faster on my road bike? I doubt.)

EDIT
.. some good pace up the Exe Valley and caught the French guy on fixed group at Wheddon X.  Rode with them to Blue Anchor...  
yup, that's me, tough not really French, a near miss, even more continental European, German by passport actually.  But hey no offence taken ;)!

Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

« Reply #27 on: 08 March, 2010, 12:18:19 pm »
Were you the guy with mtb baggy shorts and leggings?

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #28 on: 08 March, 2010, 12:23:51 pm »
Were you the guy with mtb baggy shorts and leggings?
Yup, though FYI, it is a short on top of my good bibs  ::-).
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

« Reply #29 on: 08 March, 2010, 12:28:01 pm »
Don't worry! I wasn't about to report you to the International Court for Crimes against Fashion in the Hague  ;D ;D

« Reply #30 on: 08 March, 2010, 03:37:12 pm »
Nice to see a different part of the country for a change, and get good weather.

Stopped overnight in a guest house (annexe) less than a mile from the start, so very handy.  Ladyvet (Margaret) also stayed there and we enjoyed a good meal at the Black Horse next door the night before.

Very cold on the morning of the ride, but im sure everyone is getting used to the cold by now!

A nice route for most of the ride, but the road surfaces in places were absolutley dreadful, especially the main A396 from Tiverton to Wheddon X and the B'road back from Cullompton.  Maybe the local motorists dont have to pay road tax in the area!  But if they do then perhaps the local councils should be reminded!

I did miss the turn into the control at Tiverton and had to go back u p the hill again.  Would have been good to have had a sign up just before the turning, but I accept it was my fault for not reading the route sheet properly and folowing someone else.

Great ride and thanks to Pippa and Robin for promoting it.  I just couldnt face the long drive home afterwards and booked an extra night at the guesthouse.

Also a massive thank you to the controllers at "Westwinds" for bringing me back to life again with so much choice of food and drink on offer.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #31 on: 08 March, 2010, 04:22:11 pm »
I just couldnt face the long drive home afterwards and booked an extra night at the guesthouse.

Now that's the spirit  :thumbsup:
We decided to do the 100 in the end, as we had a long drive back to London-town and wanted to call in on friends on route.
Had an excellent day though. Our first ever Audax not in the SE England, and well worth the effort, although I'm not entirely sure audaxing the day after a family wedding 'do' (in N Devon) is entirely to be recommended!
Great organisation by Pippa and the team. Wonderful to get full run of the pub at the start, fantastic to see such a full field of riders. I hear the Exeter Excursion is a new route, but an excellent one. A few dicy patches of ice but otherwise great. I loved doing the winding & lumpy bits first and the longer climbs and flat stretches later, made it a great blast.
We got back with another chap who was on his first audax and going great. He'd been confused when he missed the info control, and even more so when we kept shouting "three quarters!" -- the answer -- at him as he was expecting a stamp! Great effort though and nice to have the company as we wound our way in the last section.
We need to work out more reasons to make well-timed family visits to Devon  :)

« Reply #32 on: 08 March, 2010, 07:17:36 pm »
I wouldn't normally have caught Pumpe.  Ianh told me later Pumpe had done another 200 the day before...

Oh  I'd say you did a pretty good job, making up what must have been about a 10 minute late start in the first 50k then burning me off on that hill before the canal. You seemed in much better shape than on this ride last year (when I had also done a 200k on the previous day).

« Reply #33 on: 08 March, 2010, 08:50:37 pm »

The first person I caught was a woman who was worried about the ice.   Apparently she'd come off earlier.  This meant that she was slowing up for every puddle etc.

Yep, hands up - 't were me! I has to own up see, 'cos I were the only 'old woman' mad enough to enter this 'ere Mad March thingy! Seriously though, I did lose some time taking care over ice in Sanctuary Lane but caught others up at the 1st control. Then I was in touch with tail enders all the way to Crowcombe - my only section of 'necessity' walking!!! Trouble is, when you don't have the luxury of time to spare, you don't have the time to stop at cafes for food - and I suffered badly from the lack of proper nourishment. What I would have given for a plate of beans on toast ....

Anyway, I enjoyed the views, riding along the River Exe (which I've kayaked in the past), through Dunster and Watchet, along the back of the Crowcombe hills (which I've walked from Halsway) and riding from one coast to the other. Super. But I was also really pleased to manage to get a cab from the pub on the corner of the Sampford Arundel turning - my first ever pack on a 200k. This cost me but meant I got back for FOOD and didn't have 2/3 hours of cold, dark riding (probably arriving out of time and too late for food in the pub too). After all, 'tis only 2 points and I went for the ride not the points!

Thanks to Jethro for his company the evening before AND for seeking me out in the pub near our digs after the event - yes, I did have a glass of vino in hand. A super day's ride with, because of my decision, a super end to the day too  :thumbsup:
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

« Reply #34 on: 10 March, 2010, 11:41:33 am »
from the pub on the corner of the Sampford Arundel turning

...at the end of the hills! Delighted you had a good day, was worried I'd put you off by over-emphasising the hilliness (I reckon it IS a tough ride, in spite of the long flat parts... lots of the descents are steep, so it's hard to regain very much time after the climbs. And someone has put quite large lumps in places where you might not think they are really required).

I managed to be first on the road for a moment, but then there was a 20ft climb so I was approximately last after approximately half a mile. But not entirely alone, due to the kindness of Vorsprung being late, and me overtaking the group who kept getting lost (and they survived a couple of falls getting round a car on the ice after Otterton... the driver gave me an ice warning), and LadyVet having a bit of bother with the route sheet at Ottery. And people stopping to sit in the sun.

Hoped there wasn't any ice on the Tiverton descent. Wondered how I'd got down it in heavy rain last year.  Exe Valley deserted. Over to the other sunny seaside.

Surprised to see Pumpe only just leaving the station...  sorry I mis-named you. In a disoriented state even before the hilly bit. Which was quite hilly (who said you could "let it go" down to Crowcombe??)(a chance to beat 100km/hour???) but this year the lanes did involve riding rather than surfing.

More good cheer from homeward-bound Vorsprung near Broadclyst. Made that surface seem not quite so bad.

Big thanks to Pippa and Robin, and all the cheerful Controllers, especially John and Margaret for their superb hospitality.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #35 on: 10 March, 2010, 12:57:04 pm »
I enjoyed this ride although not as hilly as I expected, thanks to the orgs and helpers all of whom where increadibly friendly and helpful  :thumbsup:

Mflatus got his "Jim'll Fix It" moment as Signal Man at Blue Anchor.

« Reply #36 on: 10 March, 2010, 10:12:31 pm »
from the pub on the corner of the Sampford Arundel turning

...at the end of the hills! Delighted you had a good day, was worried I'd put you off by over-emphasising the hilliness (I reckon it IS a tough ride, in spite of the long flat parts... lots of the descents are steep, so it's hard to regain very much time after the climbs. And someone has put quite large lumps in places where you might not think they are really required).

Big thanks to Pippa and Robin, and all the cheerful Controllers, especially .....the lady who let me buy her cheese and pickle sandwich at Blue Anchor - it tasted so good!
No, you didn't put me off Tony - the ups weren't so bad; at least I could ride them (unlike on The Coast) but they were continuous. I think it was the lack of nourishment that slowed me (and 2 extra loops didn't help). In the end, it just seemed more important to get back for food and warmth rather than riding in the cold and dark!

Think I may give the 100k a go next year  ;)
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #37 on: 10 March, 2010, 10:23:26 pm »
I enjoyed this ride although not as hilly as I expected, thanks to the orgs and helpers all of whom where increadibly friendly and helpful  :thumbsup:

Mflatus got his "Jim'll Fix It" moment as Signal Man at Blue Anchor.

Oooh. It's like he's Bernard Cribbins and it's the Railway Children and everything.

H

« Reply #38 on: 11 March, 2010, 08:18:33 am »
Well Toby does bear more than a passing resemblance to Jenny Agutter

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #39 on: 25 February, 2015, 09:19:58 pm »
Who's in this year?
Mojo is being awakened.

« Reply #40 on: 25 February, 2015, 09:24:16 pm »
Moi

« Reply #41 on: 25 February, 2015, 10:01:47 pm »
And me - looking forward to it.

« Reply #42 on: 25 February, 2015, 10:06:09 pm »
Looks like the bad weather will blow through during the night but we'll have a new wind, so the last stage won't be the 25mph blast it often is.

Great ride and the last control is a gem. The railway station is quaint too, but I usually go to the Driftwood as I'm normally ravenous by then

« Reply #43 on: 25 February, 2015, 10:14:41 pm »
I'm in too  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #44 on: 25 February, 2015, 11:34:38 pm »
I should be out on the temporary fixed.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #45 on: 25 February, 2015, 11:46:27 pm »
I'm in, looking forward to roads I know but don't often ride.
Last time I rode it, in 2013 I had 200k in my legs from the previous days Kennet Valley 200.

I was much entertained by Flatus, first time we'd met.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #46 on: 26 February, 2015, 04:44:06 am »
Not me this year. I think the residents of Sowton and surrounding environs can rest easy  :facepalm:

H

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #47 on: 26 February, 2015, 09:33:47 am »
Enjoyed this in 2013 (spent some time riding with SJR, who I met for the first time, and also MLB), and looking forward to a return visit.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #48 on: 01 March, 2015, 10:24:33 pm »
Enjoyed this in 2013 (spent some time riding with SJR, who I met for the first time, and also MLB), and looking forward to a return visit.

So, did you enjoy it today? Quite a few didn't turn up, but still a reasonable-sized crowd.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #49 on: 02 March, 2015, 12:27:27 am »
The 2015 MMC&Q was brilliant though a tale of four quarters, plus another bit....

First off the ride to the info control at Budleigh Salterton was in good sunny weather, as was the onward ride back inland to the garage in Ottery St Mary, and indeed onward to Tiverton, and then Reg towed me from just after Tiverton most of the way towards Black Cat and halfway up towards the info at Wheddon Cross (or somewhere like that..). The sun and high temperatures continued as I rode onwards to Blue Anchor...

That was more or less the halfway point.

I left the station at Blue Anchor pretty quickly, having bounced all the controls so far, and rode off in the sun, stoping to take off my outer layer, leaving me in an Assos long sleeved base layer and my trusty wind proof Endura...

I took off my thick sealskinz gloves and wore only the silk liners..

and started to climb the Dead Woman's Ditch.....

Then all hell broke loose - first I saw an incredible 10 degree temperature drop on the Garmin, followed by a dramatic and painful 'death by hail' experience, which soaked everything.. So I stopped and put on what I had taken off, but got colder and colder, and struggled to change gear,  cos I had no feeling in my fingers..

I just had to knuckle down and get through it to the exceptional control at Whiteways, where I had beans on toast, and with a nice filter coffee I warmed up...

Then I left off the soaking liners and put on two extra waterproof outer layers, plus my thick gloves, and the surprise success story - Extremities bag mittens.. Which weigh about 7 grams, but are water and wind proof, and which stopped my gloves from getting soaked and avoided the heat loss by evaporation... (if they get wet, and there is lots of wind, the heat gets drawn out of your hands, I find)

I ride the last 30 km like a man possessed, stomping up all the hills, and was fully warm and relaxed at the arrivee, despite the heavens having opened for most of the 30 km...

A very well run event, with a fantastic mix of hills and views and both coasts and more views..

My thanks go to the organising team!!!!
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388