Author Topic: Mull of Kintyre 600km : Ballachulish - 6th / 7th June 2015 EVENT FULL  (Read 11977 times)

Bairn Again

Update 2 March 2015 in response to a number of emails. 

theres no waiting list for the event, as its already overbooked by around a dozen places.  Our limiting factor is the hall in Oban Im afraid. 

If theres a significant number of DNSs then I might open to entries again, but I would reckon that is unlikley 

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
Hi,

I am in this event and am staying at the Glencoe SYHA on Friday and Sunday night. Traveling up on the Glasgow sleeper on the Thursday night and back on the train on Monday.

The sleepers have changed and you can now book then a year in advance on https://www.sleeper.scot/. There are no bargain berths any more. This has eliminated the constant checking of the ticket availability to try for the cheapest ticket.

I have also been told that there is now no limitation on cycle places. If the places are full they will arrange alternate transport for the bikes and make sure they get to the destination ahead of the train.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

I booked this in January , but have only just decided on logistics having completed the Asparagus Run . A few things to share if any one still needs to sort out travel !

o I'll be staying at the Red Squirrel Campsite  - 2 miles from the start , and .5 mile from the famous Clachaig Inn !
o Travelling up on Friday by train - the 12.30 from Euston to Fort William has no bike spaces and is the only option given by Virgin help desk, but if you pop in to a BR station they can offer the 10.30 am train for the same price , and it has bike spaces !

Catching the train back Monday morning , so hoping I can get back from the ride in time for a few drams in the Clachaig

ps Any one any idea about the number of riders entered ?

I am riding with McNasty on my tandem and accompanied by my wee laddie on his solo. McNasty has chosen too forego the comfort of a hotel for the spartan surroundings of the boot of the car the night before - a true audaxer.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
I booked this in January , but have only just decided on logistics having completed the Asparagus Run . A few things to share if any one still needs to sort out travel !

o I'll be staying at the Red Squirrel Campsite  - 2 miles from the start , and .5 mile from the famous Clachaig Inn !
o Travelling up on Friday by train - the 12.30 from Euston to Fort William has no bike spaces and is the only option given by Virgin help desk, but if you pop in to a BR station they can offer the 10.30 am train for the same price , and it has bike spaces !

Catching the train back Monday morning , so hoping I can get back from the ride in time for a few drams in the Clachaig

ps Any one any idea about the number of riders entered ?

May see you in the Clachaig on Friday night - I'm doing Ullapool to Glencoe Hostel as a 200k DIY on Friday, heading to Oban to work at the control ad then ferry to Castlebay and cycle back through the islands to Stornoway on the Monday

My friend and room buddy, Mr Reed,  has pulled out, so have a bed in twin room up for grabs, Friday & Sunday night.
Mesg me if interested, Graham

Has anyone had confirmation yet of Final Route sheet ( AUK UK has the DRAFT copy ) - Thanks

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
I got an e-mail this evening with the revised routesheet.
It does contain a substantial revision, with one section being run in reverse.

Hopefully, you have this too.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
Hi,

I have just been checking the route sheet and the control @ 189 KM says this is the junction with the B879. I have checked with my OS map, Google maps and street view and the junction of the B842 with the B879 is at 210km. The junction at 189km is where the B8001 and the B842 join and the B8001 continues to the Arran Ferry and Skipness.

It will not matter on the day because the question will probably make it obvious which junction it is.

Which is correct?

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
It's the junction @ 189k ( B8001 / B842, as you point out ) I think.

Because the original information document listed the info at Claonaig, which makes sense with this.

Hi,

I was due to travel by train, however if the train strike goes ahead , i will be driving from London to Glen Coe . I will have an available place in my car if anyone wishes to share the petrol costs - pm me if interested .

Cheers,

Matt

Phew - long drive averted - back to plan A with the train as the strike is now off !

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
Phew - long drive averted - back to plan A with the train as the strike is now off !

I was contemplating the same. Sleeper on Thursday night for me. Then see how far I want to wander on Friday before the start.

See yer all there.

BB

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
I have just made the mistake of looking at the weather forecast. Until 5 minutes ago I was thinking that the first breath of summer that was being used for the weather in the south of England extended to the Scotland. I have now been dispelled of this illusion. I will be packing warm gear for this weekend.

BB

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
I'd recomend a spare set of dry clothing for the second day.

The rain isn't the biggest worry for me as the temperatures are a scorching 8 degrees C for the night time so you may get wet but you won't freeze. (You can make good use of these: Bus Stops, like this one at the turn off to Craobh Haven here http://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/44685692/ ). The west coast has fully enclosed but stops with a proper bench and only one doorway. This should give a hint of the potential weather  ;)

The wind is your enemy, but the route is sheltered mainly due to the hills, forest and woodland on the west coast. The BBC forcast says the wind is due to die down in the afternoon of Saturday and the daily average says 18mph. The avaerage wind speed is just obsquired by the black gusting maximums which are displayed on the hour by hour forcast. Look at the day's average.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2649169

There is a lovely cycle path from Balachulish which runs parallel to the road in places to Connel Bridge which I have cycled a few times now. This has trees on both sides in places which keeps you away from traffic, hills and wind. The main two sections are listed below. Other sections are nice but if you don't know them they can wonder off and you end up wasting time peeling off only to emerge 500m down the road, for no gain.

http://edinburgh.cyclestreets.net/journey/44685540/

http://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/44685546/

You'll be very well looked after at the controls!

Dave C
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Bairn Again

I have just emailed remaining entrants as follows -

Hi all. 

I have studied a variety of weather forecasts and have concluded that the weather forecast for much of Saturday represents too much of a potential danger to riders for me to be prepared to put the event on as planned. 

Ive got a duty of care to both participants and helpers.  Given the number of DNSs over the last few days I suspect that  finishers of a Sat/Sun event would be in single figures.

Ive checked with the AUK events secretary and we have agreed that in view of the high winds forecast for much of Saturday (gusts of up to 50mph from 6am until 5pm) that the best course of action is to amend the event to a  "Weather cancelled event". 

First and foremost this means that the event will NOT be run in the format originally anticipated.   

However, recognising that some of you will be desparate to ride the event for PBP qualification you will now be able  to ride the event at any time between Saturday 6th June and Sunday 14th June.

This can be at a time of your own choosing (=permanent style) using all the same control locations as the calendar event.  The weather on Sunday and ahead thankfully looks more benign so some riders might enjoy pleasant conditions. 

I plan to refund entry fees to all riders currently scheduled to start the event though give me some time to do so.

I am planning to head up to Ballachulsih on Friday and hope to persuade the local Co-op to hold brevet cards there for collection on Friday night or subsequently (I will send a follow up email on this once I know the score). 

I have contacted the controls to let them know that we will not be taking up our bookings.

Sorry for the late change of plan but your safety is paramount.

If it is at all possible I would urge you to consider waiting for a few days or until next weekend to ride this event. 

Graeme Wyllie

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Good choice
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
Hi,

Gutted but can see the logic. Just wondering if I can come up and do the ride anyway? Think with the forecast there was no choice.

BB

We could accommodate a few Scots at our place if they want to do the Pair of Kirtons, or the Three Coasts/ East and West Coasts. We're about an hour from both starts. We've had plenty of hospitality North of the border in the past. Some Scots have been to our place already in 2011.

Accommodation available (Travelodge) just a few kms south of Poynton should anyone wish to make use of it as I will not be using it.

PM if interested

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Interesting how some rides get cancelled and some don't.  The weather forecast looks pretty similar to that experienced on Brevet Cymru 400 the other week when over 100 completed - in admirably vile conditions.  Probably the main reason I bailed on it though was (for my own peace of mind safety) the gale force winds and torrential raid predicted from 200 km onwards.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
Interesting how some rides get cancelled and some don't.  The weather forecast looks pretty similar to that experienced on Brevet Cymru 400 the other week when over 100 completed - in admirably vile conditions.  Probably the main reason I bailed on it though was (for my own peace of mind safety) the gale force winds and torrential raid predicted from 200 km onwards.

I agree about the weather and I think it is the wind that has caused the cancellation. Strong gusts and riding on the exposed west coast is not my idea of fun.

My train tickets are a write off and I am seeing what I can get back from the SYHA booking. I have booked an alternative trip and will be riding the Elan Valley on Saturday and staying in the Leominster YH. I am not doing PBP and so have written off a calender 600 this year. I will try to get my SR with rides in September.

Every cloud has a silver lining.  :thumbsup:

BB

Entries for the Pair of Kirtons close at midnight tonight (4th June)

Yeah, tough one. But vindicated because I see it's now forecast to rain heavily too. Even at 11c, you would be in trouble quickly if you got stranded in that with nowhere to shelter.

I bet you're boiling about it though, ,.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Just to reiterate, not having a go at anyone, just intrigued really, in my opinion Brevet Cyrmu was a dangerous one, West Wales isn't exactly brimming with places to shelter in shitty weather.  I was well pissed off that I bailed on it the other week but really I think it was a sensible decision personally, yet I'm in admiration of those who completed it, and noone died.  Given that commitment it's interesting that this one is cancelled.  The only other cancellation I've seen was on the Dean a couple of years back when there was blizzard conditions pretty much throughout.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.