Author Topic: Poor Student 200, 3rd Jan 2015  (Read 17268 times)

Re: Poor Student 200, 3rd Jan 2015
« Reply #100 on: 05 January, 2015, 01:53:58 pm »
 ;D

« Reply #101 on: 05 January, 2015, 01:59:50 pm »
What a ride! I think I was already soaked by the time I'd ridden to the start so it was a battle to keep warm and the hills were often just a welcome chance to warm up and get the blood flowing again. Didn't really eat enough at Chipping Campden, so I was flagging before I got to Malmesbury. Stopped for proper hot food and drink before heading off and the familiar roads back to Oxford meant I could at least save the GPS battery and leave the light off.

Another shout out to everyone who was still going the other way and said hello as I headed back from the Arrivée to Faringdon and passed quite a few tired riders as I retraced the route.  :)

Did anyone else take the simpler route down Cumnor Hill, rather than via the busy road through Farmoor? I'm still puzzled by the slightly circuitous route from Cumnor to Botley.

« Reply #102 on: 05 January, 2015, 02:18:57 pm »
What a ride! I think I was already soaked by the time I'd ridden to the start so it was a battle to keep warm and the hills were often just a welcome chance to warm up and get the blood flowing again. Didn't really eat enough at Chipping Campden, so I was flagging before I got to Malmesbury. Stopped for proper hot food and drink before heading off and the familiar roads back to Oxford meant I could at least save the GPS battery and leave the light off.

Another shout out to everyone who was still going the other way and said hello as I headed back from the Arrivée to Faringdon and passed quite a few tired riders as I retraced the route.  :)

Did anyone else take the simpler route down Cumnor Hill, rather than via the busy road through Farmoor? I'm still puzzled by the slightly circuitous route from Cumnor to Botley.

Judging by the Strava flyby view (http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#236260366 and click select all to see the routes taken) quite a number went straight down Cumnor Hill, most then went through the city and up Woodstock Road. Others rejoined the routesheet at the A420 roundabout to go through Wytham.

Interestingly a few riders went along the A34 from Botley Interchange and either missed the cycle path through the hedge or chose not to use it. They might have been following a GPS which might not have distinguished between the two adjacent roads. The A34 is not a nice road to cycle on, especially in the dark, I would never ever contemplate using it. A good reason for following the routesheet which has this information written rather than relying on GPS in unfamiliar territory.

John

« Reply #103 on: 05 January, 2015, 02:31:35 pm »
Found that a tough ride. I was glad of the company from Simon_A early on and Mr Green later. I was supposed to be riding with my brother but he passed away suddenly over Christmas so having someone to chat to and ride with meant a lot to me, thanks guys.

Good to have caught up with you again John and hope getting out lifted your spirits.  Following our chat on the merits of washing bikes I'd guess you will have done so this time :)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #104 on: 05 January, 2015, 04:03:03 pm »
Thanks Pat for organising but you need to work on your weather management skills. 

Well you could always ride the check-ride with Pat.
I tried that once.... :facepalm:

Exception that proves the rule, innit ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #105 on: 05 January, 2015, 05:24:39 pm »

Guilty !
Went round by Farmoor a couple of years ago and found the short stretch of A420 quite unpleasant for fast traffic.
As for anyone even contemplating riding on the A34... ???

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #106 on: 05 January, 2015, 07:14:09 pm »

Guilty !
Went round by Farmoor a couple of years ago and found the short stretch of A420 quite unpleasant for fast traffic.
As for anyone even contemplating riding on the A34... ???

I thought I would be going down Cumnor Hill and was surprised by the drop to Farmoor.  The A420 wasn't much fun but at least it was downhill and the route sheet very precise about how to get onto the cycle way through Wytham was a pleasant run back to Peartree.   :smug:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #107 on: 05 January, 2015, 07:20:39 pm »

Also guilty! such a straightforward fast descent that cheers the spirits at the end of a ride like we had  (the prospect of getting stuck in a hedge not all that attractive either!!)

« Reply #108 on: 05 January, 2015, 07:22:18 pm »
This was me and my son's first 200km and my initial thoughts on finishing were never again, but by the time I'd warmed up in the car, I was already making plans for next year and wondering when we'd be ready to tackle a 300km.

I feel a bit of a fraud for having popped home for beans on toast at Malmesbury, but I guess we still rode the miles. Hopefully no one is going to tell me that we breached any rules doing this.

« Reply #109 on: 05 January, 2015, 10:34:22 pm »
A tough but rewarding day in the saddle on my first audax. Despite the cold, damp and mist I had fine company for the duration of the ride with Redlight and pieeater and the small posse we picked up at Shrivenham, including Malmsebury Monk and, I believe, Will and Liz. The Cumnor shortcut was a must.

Key learnings (after being asked several times whether I was doing): PBP is not a performance-enhancing drug; Swindon ring-road may not be cycle-friendly after all; maybe after the pain subsides I'll sign-up for another.

[updated 9th Jan] Now that the pain has subsided, my membership accepted and I've received the magazine detailing mouthwatering rides, I'm on the lookout for my next 200.

Finally I must say a huge thank you to Pat [and assistant] for planning and managing the event.

« Reply #110 on: 05 January, 2015, 10:44:57 pm »
Longflaps, I am sure you will sign up for another Audax and it was indeed a brave choice for a first Audax. You will not find many rides with that combination of short daylight hours, cold temps and a fair amount of damp.

Imagine that lovely route with 12 hours of sunny daylight, no damp and 20 degrees on the mercury with that fine company!

See you out there some time on another brill Audax event!
Knowing is not enough, we must APPLY.
Willing is not enough, we must DO.

« Reply #111 on: 06 January, 2015, 10:18:00 am »
A tough but rewarding day in the saddle on my first audax. Despite the cold, damp and mist I had fine company for the duration of the ride with Redlight and pieeater and the small posse we picked up at Shrivenham, including Malmsebury Monk and, I believe, Will and Liz. The Cumnor shortcut was a must.

Key learnings (after being asked several times whether I was doing): PBP is not a performance-enhancing drug; Swindon ring-road may not be cycle-friendly after all; maybe after the pain subsides I'll sign-up for another

I think I almost literally ran into you at Shrivenham. We hadn't seen any other Poor Students for a while and so was a little surprised to see you and your merry band. I was impressed by your dexterity with the chain tool. I'm not sure with the cold that my fingers would have been up to the task.  :thumbsup:

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #112 on: 09 January, 2015, 08:45:46 pm »
Just as an aside, if anyone did pick up the wrong gloves in the Bantam Tea Rooms in Chipping, they may well be mine.  Please PM me.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #113 on: 22 February, 2015, 04:53:38 pm »
"The cards have had their ACP holiday, and been returned; if you need your ACP validation # for PBP, you can find it at http://www.aukweb.net/official/gateway/startlist.php?Ride=15-41.
Cards for those that wanted them returned will go in the post tomorrow.

A damp and cold start to the day, but it did clear eventually - at least the sharks weren't savaging your ankles this year ;-)

Mmmm, PBP madness. 200 Entrants, 100 Starters, & 68 Finishers - congratulations to those that finished, and for those that pre-advised DNS / DNF'd, yer names been noted for next year  ;)"

Behave yourselves until next year...
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #114 on: 22 February, 2015, 09:54:21 pm »
I've been on a couple of rides where only 1/3 entrants completed.  Last years Brimstone, and the Bryan Chapman Scenic in 2006.  Both had proper rain and headwinds for most of the way.  Both were 600s.  This makes 3.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #115 on: 23 February, 2015, 01:01:56 pm »
I've been on a couple of rides where only 1/3 entrants completed.  Last years Brimstone, and the Bryan Chapman Scenic in 2006.  Both had proper rain and headwinds for most of the way.  Both were 600s.  This makes 3.

There might not have been usch a high abandon rate as it appears - I was 'DNF' for controlling in the centre of Oxford (as I usually do, having ridden to and from Abingdon). Iddu was only validating Arrivee at the car park on the edge of the city this year. I'm guessing I might not have been the only one making the error.

« Reply #116 on: 23 February, 2015, 06:05:35 pm »
It was not even PBP madness that compelled me to get through the ride as I shall not be Paris-bound in August, just the sheer fun of it haha  ::-)

I would appreciate it if you can cancel the rain for next year iddu,

cheers
Jim
Knowing is not enough, we must APPLY.
Willing is not enough, we must DO.