Author Topic: Sam Weller's day trip to Wochma - 200k(PBP) - Tewkesbury - Feb 7th.  (Read 15126 times)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Re: Sam Weller's day trip to Wochma - 200k(PBP) - Tewkesbury - Feb 7th.
« Reply #25 on: 22 January, 2015, 12:31:00 pm »
It looks likely that I may be attending this, so you'll have at least two chances this year to look positively stylish James.

I'll be at the back.

« Reply #26 on: 22 January, 2015, 02:58:23 pm »
Thanks Mark---looks very full value at 220km too  :thumbsup:

Not actually 220km, but with the demise of Wormlow Tump, I have been made aware that there's an alternative route to Allensmore. this would take the route to 208km - which is within the +5% BRM tolerance.

However I haven't had time to fully RA the alternative. I do know that it's all A-road (A438 then A465). For what it's worth, in 2004 I removed this bit of the A465 from the BCM 600, as I wasn't happy with the "rider safety" aspect on parts of the A465.

However I would hazard a guess that the original route to Wormelow Tump and then the Allensmore out/back wouldn't actually take any longer in terms of time.

Why? Well, you'll have to negotiate some roundabouts and about a dozen extra sets of traffic lights to get through the A438/A465 route. the combined reitterative process of slowing/stopping/waiting/accelerating will zap maybe anything upto 15 - 20 minutes.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #27 on: 22 January, 2015, 05:51:24 pm »
Yes having lived around Hereford for some time recognise the roads you`re referring to----the two A road sections would go straight thro` Hereford with its wonderful collection TL , inner ring road and r`bouts !! The A465 road to A`venny is indeed a fast and potentially hazardous one too.

Completely happy with the  much nicer lanes of Much marcle > Marcle Ridge> Hoarwithy and then up  on to Allensmore ---these used to form some of my local loops out of Hereford, lovely cycling area  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #28 on: 22 January, 2015, 08:39:50 pm »
Mojo is being awakened.

« Reply #29 on: 22 January, 2015, 10:11:01 pm »
Ride acknowledgements have been sent, however those on BT Internet.com don't appear to like being sent via Bcc. This does make it rather difficult to maintain contact and maintain confidentiality.

So please check spam folders .

Didn't get anything from you yesterday, BlackSheep, but not on BT... Severe punishment for serial DNSing??

« Reply #30 on: 22 January, 2015, 10:21:43 pm »
Ride acknowledgements have been sent, however those on BT Internet.com don't appear to like being sent via Bcc. This does make it rather difficult to maintain contact and maintain confidentiality.

So please check spam folders .

Didn't get anything from you yesterday, BlackSheep, but not on BT... Severe punishment for serial DNSing??
I got an email from Mark on the 12th, so might be worth looking back a bit further in your mailbox
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #31 on: 23 January, 2015, 06:18:19 am »
Ooops, yes, thanks Clemo, and sorry Mark - I was with the early lot (got my towel down well in advance, of course  ;)).

« Reply #32 on: 23 January, 2015, 10:30:24 am »
The next wobbly appears to be Much Marcle.

That's because Much Marcle is the home to Weston's Cider, whose fine apple-based fermented products have kept me well hydrated for many years.

:)
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #33 on: 23 January, 2015, 04:56:25 pm »
The next wobbly appears to be Much Marcle.

That's because Much Marcle is the home to Weston's Cider, whose fine apple-based fermented products have kept me well hydrated for many years.

:)

Maybe we can persuade Mark to add it in as an info control eg How many different types of cider do Westons produce and what`s your tasted preference ?  ;D ;D
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #34 on: 23 January, 2015, 06:24:02 pm »
At Les arrivées de Mouton Noir they sell Weston's Marcle Hill. Highly recommended.

« Reply #35 on: 27 January, 2015, 08:42:33 pm »
All full - up.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #36 on: 27 January, 2015, 09:54:30 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #37 on: 01 February, 2015, 04:24:32 pm »
The last three Blacksheep events have been Wet - Cymraeg Cyrch. Cold - Kings & Castles etc.  January Sale - cold and wet.
Surely the Sam Weller has to be sunny and mild? (or have I just given it the kiss of death).  ;D

Sunny---most probably, mild almost certainly not ! All current forecasts and synoptic charts indicate a continuation of the cold dry weather, maxm @ Ross on Wye next Saturday  3c and a moderate  NE wind.... so wet weather gear shelved in favour of bitter cold garb  ::-)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #38 on: 01 February, 2015, 05:17:31 pm »
The last three Blacksheep events have been Wet - Cymraeg Cyrch. Cold - Kings & Castles etc.  January Sale - cold and wet.
Surely the Sam Weller has to be sunny and mild? (or have I just given it the kiss of death).  ;D

Sunny---most probably, mild almost certainly not ! All current forecasts and synoptic charts indicate a continuation of the cold dry weather, maxm @ Ross on Wye next Saturday  3c and a moderate  NE wind.... so wet weather gear shelved in favour of bitter cold garb  ::-)

As long as it stays dry and gets no colder, it'll be tops. :thumbsup:

« Reply #39 on: 01 February, 2015, 05:31:59 pm »
Possibility of some snow midweek.

« Reply #40 on: 01 February, 2015, 05:52:26 pm »
Don't say that! I can't possibly DNS yet another BlackSheep event  :'(

« Reply #41 on: 01 February, 2015, 06:04:38 pm »
You can't and you won't!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #42 on: 01 February, 2015, 06:17:38 pm »

Nor can I !!! my winter appearance record at BlackSheep Events is ----not good

« Reply #43 on: 01 February, 2015, 09:38:49 pm »

er... you might be in good company young lady.

I have this terrible feeling I've b*llsed up again and have overlooked the annual Wobbly Wedding Anniversary. As this will the the 25th of them I really should have seen it coming.

Please accept my humblest apolgies for DNS-ing but I really think it's best I do.

« Reply #44 on: 01 February, 2015, 09:59:56 pm »
I am hopefully in. Just for once can we please just have to not worry about ice. I just want to ride my bike and not have weather dramas.

This ride is quite lumpy right?

« Reply #45 on: 03 February, 2015, 05:15:40 pm »
Met office are giving it dry and cloudy with a high of 6 degrees. Slightly warmer than recent temps and with a light to moderate northerly wind.

I am not a big risk taker if ice is likely (a broken hip can scupper your year in a split second) but fingers crossed the forecast could be worse.

« Reply #46 on: 03 February, 2015, 05:21:34 pm »
The weather at this point looks ok enough.

Yesterday, however, I had errr, a little accident and I've written off my car. Getting a new one before Saturday is going to be incredibly tight as I work about 4,000 hours a week. Attendance is in jeopardy!

« Reply #47 on: 03 February, 2015, 05:44:46 pm »
Met office are giving it dry and cloudy with a high of 6 degrees. Slightly warmer than recent temps and with a light to moderate northerly wind.

I am not a big risk taker if ice is likely (a broken hip can scupper your year in a split second) but fingers crossed the forecast could be worse.

yes not as cold, and importantly IMHO temperatures won`t plummet after dark so staying above freezing for a while into evening, in fact looks as if milder by evening  :thumbsup:

« Reply #48 on: 03 February, 2015, 06:08:21 pm »

yes not as cold, and importantly IMHO temperatures won`t plummet after dark so staying above freezing for a while into evening, in fact looks as if milder by evening  :thumbsup:

This is good - I am hoping to ride with my friend Rafe. It'll be his first hilly ride for a while so knowing temps aren't going to plummet if we are out after dark is a very good thing  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #49 on: 03 February, 2015, 06:19:19 pm »
Goodly good, looking forward to this.

I've built up a comforting layer of sofa lard, so I'll be nice and warm and it'll be nice to get away from the sodding snow.