Author Topic: Kennet Valley Run 7th March  (Read 17559 times)

Kennet Valley Run 7th March
« on: 16 February, 2015, 04:34:09 pm »
So who is in for this one?

I'm making a proper Audax comeback this year, hopefully starting with this.

It's going to be sunny with a tailwind both ways this time :)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Re: Kennet Valley Run 7th March
« Reply #1 on: 16 February, 2015, 04:43:21 pm »
Maybe - most likely the 100, unless I'm feeling particularly brave when I enter.

I'll try not to get my car stuck in the car park this time  :facepalm:

« Reply #2 on: 16 February, 2015, 04:45:46 pm »
I've done the 100 version several times, it's a very easy early season ride. I've entered the 200 this year, I've been put off in the past by the there and back nature of the extension.

John

« Reply #3 on: 16 February, 2015, 04:55:27 pm »
I've entered the 200.  It's a lovely ride.
Last year it was a bit icy at the start and one poor guy had a nasty fall and broke a bone.

« Reply #4 on: 16 February, 2015, 05:24:01 pm »
I'm in for the 200 - based solely on your guarantee of tailwinds and sunshine...

I'm also determined to try and eat at the tutti pole, having been there quite a few times, getting the stamp then leaving as it was full....

« Reply #5 on: 16 February, 2015, 05:39:47 pm »
I always find it really slow in the Tutti Pole and end up giving up and going and getting a sandwich or something somewhere else. Great place for someone to wait and stamp cards, but you need to allow forever to get some food in there.....

This is a nice easy route, which pleases me as I'm somewhat out of practice ;)  I've entered a 300k at the end of March, so if I can't do this one I'm in big troubles. I've always enjoyed this one, but I don't think I've had an ice experience, only nice weather. Which is what is going to happen this time so all good :)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 16 February, 2015, 05:43:14 pm »
I've done the 100 version several times, it's a very easy early season ride. I've entered the 200 this year, I've been put off in the past by the there and back nature of the extension.

The 'back' is always a very different ride to 'there'. For a variety of reasons ...
I tend to enjoy that section more than the rest,  on average.

Will definitely be riding 1 of these - tried to get some local roadie interest,  but to no avail. So I think riding down to the 100 is looking favourite (a little under 200k unless I feel the need to extend it somewhere #pointless )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 16 February, 2015, 07:57:01 pm »
HK and I will be there.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #8 on: 16 February, 2015, 08:31:48 pm »
I'm in...200 version for me :thumbsup:  I'll probably bounce the TP on the way out, get to Bratton before the rush & have cake at the TP later ;D

Hoping there won't be ice this year....I'm not quite sure how I got away with staying upright & missing the fallen few last year :facepalm:  If there's the slightest sniff of wet roads & temps below 4 deg, I'll be looking for main road diversions.

Cheers,

Peter.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #9 on: 16 February, 2015, 08:41:00 pm »
Enjoyed this 200 last year, so I've convinced Erica to join me on our yellow tandem. I've promised we'll pace ourselves properly this time.

Say hi if you see us.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #10 on: 16 February, 2015, 08:43:23 pm »
I'm in...200 version for me :thumbsup:  I'll probably bounce the TP on the way out, get to Bratton before the rush & have cake at the TP later ;D

Hoping there won't be ice this year....I'm not quite sure how I got away with staying upright & missing the fallen few last year :facepalm:  If there's the slightest sniff of wet roads & temps below 4 deg, I'll be looking for main road diversions.

Cheers,

Peter.

There was ice last year ? :o
Must have all melted by the time I got there.

In for it again this time, and no doubt will be close to the back of the field again.

« Reply #11 on: 16 February, 2015, 09:58:24 pm »
I always find it really slow in the Tutti Pole and end up giving up and going and getting a sandwich or something somewhere else. Great place for someone to wait and stamp cards, but you need to allow forever to get some food in there.....

Only been to the TP twice: it was slowish (but not unacceptable) the first time, probably because I was towards the back of the field damn near lanterne rouge and therefore the crowds had passed through (it was a rather late lunchtime ...), and downright speedy the second because I adopted the expedient of hijacking a waitress as I was sitting down, and simply ordering something at random rather than studying the menu.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #12 on: 16 February, 2015, 11:04:58 pm »
I'll probably bounce the TP on the way out, get to Bratton before the rush & have cake at the TP later ;D

This FTW.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #13 on: 17 February, 2015, 06:33:28 am »
Ill be the one huffing and puffing at the back, if my last rides are anything to go by.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

« Reply #14 on: 17 February, 2015, 08:13:36 am »
If there's the slightest sniff of wet roads & temps below 4 deg, I'll be looking for main road diversions.

I don't think there are any obvious ones for the start.  I was concerned last year and had a look but didn't find any. 
I ended up just starting half an hour late, which gave it time to warm up a bit and the icy patches had cleared.  I'll do the same if it's a cold morning this year - which, with luck, it won't be!

« Reply #15 on: 17 February, 2015, 01:18:25 pm »
If there's the slightest sniff of wet roads & temps below 4 deg, I'll be looking for main road diversions.

I don't think there are any obvious ones for the start.  I was concerned last year and had a look but didn't find any. 
I ended up just starting half an hour late, which gave it time to warm up a bit and the icy patches had cleared.  I'll do the same if it's a cold morning this year - which, with luck, it won't be!
Near the start are fine....it's the lanes between the A339 and Kintbury that you need to watch out for.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #16 on: 17 February, 2015, 01:53:47 pm »
True - it looked worse a bit further on last time.  The first spot I remember is that bit on a downhill / right hand bend where water runs across the road; that would be lethal in a proper frost!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #17 on: 17 February, 2015, 02:51:18 pm »
it's the lanes between the A339 and Kintbury that you need to watch out for.

Just checked my gps track from last year's ride and based on where I was travelling at walking speed (ie where I got off and walked), it looks like the point where the rider came off is just past Woolton Hill, which is indeed almost exactly halfway between the A339 and Kintbury, about 30km into the ride.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #18 on: 17 February, 2015, 04:33:04 pm »
Mrs B is doing the 100.  If you see a Japanese woman on an old red Orbit with a French woman on a Bianchi, one of 'em is Mrs B.

I've not booked because of my bad back. Although I'm now cycling again (carefully), it may be a little too soon.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #19 on: 17 February, 2015, 06:55:55 pm »

Just checked my gps track from last year's ride and based on where I was travelling at walking speed (ie where I got off and walked), it looks like the point where the rider came off is just past Woolton Hill, which is indeed almost exactly halfway between the A339 and Kintbury, about 30km into the ride.
Spot on :thumbsup: There was absolutely no distinction between what was surface water & what was ice until we rode across it. Half an hour later, it was no longer ice.

« Reply #20 on: 17 February, 2015, 10:32:10 pm »
Also coming back to Addax this year with this lovely ride. Will be entering tomorrow, so hope I'm not too late  :o

« Reply #21 on: 17 February, 2015, 11:57:40 pm »

Yes, I make the ice incident as happening here, just before Watery Lane on the way to Kintbury...   

Haven't decided on 100/200km yet....   KVR 14 was my first 200km.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #22 on: 18 February, 2015, 04:20:43 pm »
I'm going to be riding KVR'15.  KVR'14 was my first audax so it'll be nice to return and ride it again, I'm considering riding to the start and then home again after as it won't be too far or involve getting up too much earlier in the morning.  I won't try and plan an ECE though as this way I can happily bail on the whole plan and just cycle to a station afterwards if necessary!

« Reply #23 on: 18 February, 2015, 08:44:40 pm »

Yes, I make the ice incident as happening here, just before Watery Lane on the way to Kintbury...   

Yup...I went through the middle of the others, kept dead straight & slammed the brakes on as I reached the grass verge :o

« Reply #24 on: 18 February, 2015, 11:46:07 pm »
Last year were far enough back in the field that others found the ice well before us and were happy to be flagged down before it.
Speed has not improved since so similar tactics will be employed