Author Topic: Velomotion recumbents  (Read 3412 times)

Velomotion recumbents
« on: 04 March, 2019, 12:31:50 pm »
I am hoping to retire shortly, and having used three vintage recumbents over the last few years (Kingcycle; Aerobikes Tour; Aerobikes Sprint) thought I might treat myself to a new and possibly sportier model. 

The velomotion frame kits look tempting, I've got plenty of donor parts lying about in the bike shed (AKA the spare bedroom).  Has anyone experience of using these bikes?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VeloMotion-Scopa-brand-new-recumbent-bicycle-frame-set-kit-road-audax-gravel/123355917947?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=423751455307&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Re: Velomotion recumbents
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2019, 02:57:06 pm »
Not this one, but I did something very similar and built a Performer SAKI.  Although their website shows complete bikes, you can buy whatever parts you want and supply the rest yourself.

Email Christine at Performer and ask her for prices for a frame, seat, bars etc.  Expect about 3 weeks for the parts to be delivered.  The prices are very competitive, and the engineering quality's very good indeed.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2 on: 04 March, 2019, 06:14:06 pm »
and remember if importing from outside the EU, you have a 4.7% import tax on a frameset PLUS 20% VAT on top.

I think it was something like 17.9% import duty on a whole bike last time I looked.

Explains the dominance of eurobents
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #3 on: 04 March, 2019, 09:44:28 pm »
and remember if importing from outside the EU, you have a 4.7% import tax on a frameset PLUS 20% VAT on top.

I think it was something like 17.9% import duty on a whole bike last time I looked.

Explains the dominance of eurobents
Oddly enough the pro-forma invoice from Performer (which was the basis for the tax I had to pay) must have had a typo - they wrongly stated the value of the parts,  strangely, it was significantly less than the sum I paid.  Don't understand that......

ElyDave

« Reply #4 on: 04 March, 2019, 09:53:08 pm »
SHHHHHH!

And hope there are no excise men on the forum.

« Reply #5 on: 05 March, 2019, 11:38:21 am »
Not this one, but I did something very similar and built a Performer SAKI.  Although their website shows complete bikes, you can buy whatever parts you want and supply the rest yourself.

Email Christine at Performer and ask her for prices for a frame, seat, bars etc.  Expect about 3 weeks for the parts to be delivered.  The prices are very competitive, and the engineering quality's very good indeed.

thanks Andy - I'll check this out.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #6 on: 09 March, 2019, 10:47:49 am »
Hi.  New to the forum but not recumbent s. I’d assume from you choice you fancy a 700c wheel sportier light type bent. I currently ride a Metabike metaphysic, which I’ve risen for 4 years and it’s great. They unfortunately went out of business 2 years ago. Second hand is good if you can. Mascot Gaucho, schlitter encore, optima high baron. Check out Dave Mccraw website.

Before the Metabike I did have a HP Velotechnic for a few years. Great for touring but a bit slow and heavy on the hills.
The Saki looks ok.
Whatever you do be sure to try before you buy. They are great. I suffer pelvic pain syndrome, no issues at all on my bent.
Bob

ElyDave

« Reply #7 on: 09 March, 2019, 11:45:39 am »
Metabike Metaphysic - make sure you are tall enough, it's quite high

Goes for any of them really - try before you buy as Bob says