Author Topic: Pannier Rucksack  (Read 2400 times)

Pannier Rucksack
« on: 25 August, 2018, 06:35:17 pm »
Hi,

My 16yr Old starts college in a couple of weeks to study 'A' Levels and will be doing a bit of a commute by bicycle.

My wife thinks it would be a good idea for him to use panniers to transport his 'stuff' rather than wear a rucksack on the bike.  So, I'm looking for a pannier which can also be used as a rucksack.... Anyone know of such a thing that they would recommend?

It need to be large enough to carry a standard sized laptop. lunch box and I suppose a couple of folders etc.

Thanks,
Richard

Re: Pannier Rucksack
« Reply #1 on: 25 August, 2018, 07:08:52 pm »
Timbuk2 do a couple. Quality is generally good, but they aren't widely available in the UK and are quite spendy. Ortlieb are similarly expensive (but excellent quality), and do the commuter pannier which converts to a shoulder bag. It's a bit more widely available than Timbuk2 though.
It's probably best to get a larger bag, as he may want spare clothing or waterproofs.
California Dreaming

« Reply #2 on: 25 August, 2018, 07:10:33 pm »
Ortleib do an addition to make a pannier into a rucksack. I used one for a while but realised it was more convenient to carry a loaded rucksack inside a pannier. 

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #3 on: 26 August, 2018, 12:20:24 am »
Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative do some with rucksack straps attached at, if I remember, were a decent price level.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #4 on: 26 August, 2018, 09:07:23 am »
As you've gathered, there are a few around, I have  (ok actually it's Mrs Ham's) a Vaude one similar to this https://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Products/Bike-Bags/Front-Rear-Pannier/Cyclist-Pack?number=121840100 only better; I would thoroughly recommend their quality. Where would he be commuting? If in an urban environment, the road dirt in winter has a habit of de-waterproofing just about anything.

Look for: A good fixing systems  (most are these days, but a positive lock onto the pannier carrier is a good thing.  A good conversion - straps away and protected when used as a pannier, body protected from bike fixings when used as back pack. Provision for lock carrying (that appears to be one difference between the Vaude I have and the one I linked to, mine has D-lock loops)

« Reply #5 on: 26 August, 2018, 12:18:18 pm »
I used the Ortleib one for several years, it works well, but found myself using the rucksack function less and less

« Reply #6 on: 27 August, 2018, 04:54:16 am »
I used the Ortlieb pannier to rucksack adaptor on a couple of tours, as a rucksack I thought it carried poorly. There are now rucksacks on the market that weigh less than the Ortlieb device and carry about 20 liters of stuff more comfortably. I also used the Carradice Bike Bureau (single pannier that turns into a briefcase/shoulder bag) for a few years. I've come to prefer a messenger bag with a T-strap for cycle commuting. Everything's on my back and ready to go after I park my bike, no removing panniers or transferring stuff from panniers to backpack, etc. I prefer the way a messenger bag feels on me when I'm on the bike compared to a rucksack, and I like being able to slide the bag around to the front to get stuff when I'm off the bike. Right now I'm using a Chrome Industries bag that I'm very happy with. Not sure about UK availability, though.

« Reply #7 on: 27 August, 2018, 12:15:05 pm »

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #8 on: 27 August, 2018, 12:19:36 pm »
Lidl have got them in at the moment: https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=15692

You get what you pay for.  The attachment hooks on Lidl/Aldi panniers are bloody awful and I doubt they are waterproof (the ones I had looked like Ortlieb rolltops but the stitching wasn't sealed).  I wouldn't put a laptop in one.

I think they are overpriced at £10 and think the Ortliebs are a good investment at 10x that price.  Superb attachment system and 100% waterproof.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 27 August, 2018, 06:31:35 pm »
I've never seen one I actually liked.  The Ortlieb adaptor is well-built, but it's a heavy beast of a thing, and if you allow space inside the pannier for it while in bike mode, detracts from the overall capacity by a fair bit.

There seem to be better options in the messenger bag style, if that's an acceptable alternative.

Hbunnet's suggestion of carrying a rucksack inside a pannier has some merit if you can reasonably leave the pannier on or near the bike (perhaps along with bike tools/clothes/helmet/etc that you don't need to carry with you).  Something non-bag-like like Bike Bins or a basket could be securely attached to the bike and unattractive to thieves.

I second the health warning about cheap gravity-powered fixings on Lidl panniers.  I have one in an Ortlieb style that seemed good value at 12 quid, but after bouncing partway off on the maiden voyage, it's confined to storage of infrequently used bike stuff duty.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #10 on: 27 August, 2018, 07:54:54 pm »
I've never bothered.
I use a bungy to attach the rucksack to the rack, it's worked fine since 1989. 
The trick may be to make the bungy tight enough but not too tight.
I also tend to 'attach' the bungy so it's permanently in situ and in general only need to do up the 2 hooks rather than the whole works (a bit like the 1980s pre-attached bungies.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #11 on: 30 August, 2018, 12:02:59 pm »
I've never bothered.
I use a bungy to attach the rucksack to the rack, it's worked fine since 1989. 
The trick may be to make the bungy tight enough but not too tight.
I also tend to 'attach' the bungy so it's permanently in situ and in general only need to do up the 2 hooks rather than the whole works (a bit like the 1980s pre-attached bungies.

That's a hell of a long time for A levels!  Good luck!

fuzzy

« Reply #12 on: 31 August, 2018, 12:27:35 pm »
Altura Morph pannier/ backpack. A number of customers have bought one- no comlaints yet.

« Reply #13 on: 31 August, 2018, 06:30:06 pm »
I had one of these for a few years and it was pretty good. It uses standard carradice panier fixings so they are good. It converts quickly and easily, and it comes with a laptop holding internal bag..

https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/panniers/carradry-rucksack-pannier

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk