Author Topic: Audax Repair kit  (Read 6057 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Audax Repair kit
« Reply #50 on: 24 October, 2022, 03:20:14 pm »
I carry breakdown insurance that costs about £14 a year. And I don't bother carrying all those things that might get used once every two decades.
Surely that depends where you are, and how far from civilisation you go.
Why? How do you think car breakdown works?  Same setup. They pick you up and take you to a transport hub or hotel. Never needed it, thus far.  I've never had a serious breakdown on a long ride bar a spoke break near the start of a 300k, but that was game over regardless.

Game over for a solitary spoke break?

I had one at some stage on the Great Eastern 1000, tweaked the other spokes and rode on...

« Reply #51 on: 24 October, 2022, 03:25:32 pm »
Mavic Kysrium Sl. 16 spokes in front wheel, no chance at all of an on road repair...or, as it turned out, any repair.

« Reply #52 on: 24 October, 2022, 03:31:49 pm »
What’s your definition of “the kitchen sink”? I can’t see anyone above advocating for it.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #53 on: 24 October, 2022, 03:36:54 pm »
I can see lots of people advocating for it!  If you don't think some of the toolkits advocated here count as the kitchen sink, you must be so far into kitchen sink-land yourself that you really should recognise when you're in a minority. 

The OP is asking about doing audaxes on fixed, and his post gives every appearance of him being a native Brit doing them in Britain.  In this context, discussing what you'd hypothetically take for a solo trip across Antarctica is unhelpful.  Restrain yourselves next time!

« Reply #54 on: 24 October, 2022, 03:39:50 pm »
Chains almost never break except when corroded or badly installed.

« Reply #55 on: 24 October, 2022, 03:41:45 pm »
One thing I've not seen mentioned is spare mudguard eyelet if you use them.

« Reply #56 on: 24 October, 2022, 03:41:47 pm »
I’ve got a similar tool kit to you, though I don’t carry lube unless the audax is 1000km or more.  Last week, a five day tour of my new 600km audax, with rain on last three days. Chain started to sound a bit dry but got back home just fine.

I’ve just weighed it and it is 250g for two tubes, and 500g for the tool kit (which includes a single gear cable), this includes weight of bags I carry them in. If you want to save weight outside of hot days you could drop a single water bottle to save toolkit weight. On hot days you could take off mudguards to save 450g etc.

But to be honest I’d just stick with what you’ve got.  Any possible weight savings will make bugger all difference to your time over audax distances. 

« Reply #57 on: 24 October, 2022, 04:24:13 pm »
I'm amused by the way that although the OP was asking for suggestions to make his kit smaller, a number of people are suggesting additions...
 ;)

« Reply #58 on: 24 October, 2022, 04:25:10 pm »
Exactly

« Reply #59 on: 24 October, 2022, 04:38:17 pm »
There's not much point in making the OPs pack much lighter as it won't have any significant impact on his ability to Audax or the time taken to Audax. Adding a few small item could facilitate an Audax or improve the quality of the time after which you decide to abandon an Audax.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #60 on: 24 October, 2022, 04:51:36 pm »
Having the right bits might make the difference between finishing, in or out of time, or getting stranded in the rain on a cold, wet dark night, miles from civilisation.
For myself, I'd prefer to cart the kit, even if I never used it.

« Reply #61 on: 24 October, 2022, 05:06:02 pm »
Surprised no one's suggested going tubeless and doing away with those useless innertubes  :demon:

(Don't do that, I've given tubes more than once to riders who tried that tactic)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #62 on: 24 October, 2022, 05:14:36 pm »

Small screwdriver for fixing your glasses (if you wear glasses)

Im just lucky to remember the right pair of glasses, never thought to include the right sized precision screw driver, probably works with some of the obscure screwed on things that make up 105 Std levers too.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #63 on: 24 October, 2022, 05:17:01 pm »
Everyone's attitude to risk is different (as shown by the replies thus far)...

If you did want to lighten the load, season to taste:

- Ditch one of the tubes

- Fettle the spanner to remove one end and make it lighter or buy an ally 15mm spanner eg https://www.velosolo.co.uk/vstool.html (check that the ring will fit in the space you have to access the nut though!)

- change to allen head bolts to remove the need for spanner altogether (eg surly hubs) - maybe there's an axel replacement that retrofits your existing hubs?

- Use the old school chain joiner rather than a quick-link to perhaps remove need to carry pliers? https://www.velosolo.co.uk/splitlink.html
Regards,

Joergen

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #64 on: 24 October, 2022, 05:21:58 pm »
I was carrying only one spare inner tube on an 8 mile commute to work.
Struck a stone at speed and both tyres went down…
Didn't have a patch kit either!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #65 on: 24 October, 2022, 05:34:53 pm »
Until the time it gets caught between the frame and the chain ring.

I had one get twisted, still worked as a chain, but every time the affected links went round the sprockets I shifted up two gears, then down two gears. took the affected links out, fit a split link, carried on with ride.

Surprised no one's suggested going tubeless and doing away with those useless innertubes  :demon:

(Don't do that, I've given tubes more than once to riders who tried that tactic)

foolish, foolish people

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #66 on: 24 October, 2022, 05:39:51 pm »
Until the time it gets caught between the frame and the chain ring.

Yes, but see what I said earlier about riding a well-maintained bike. That includes correctly set dérailleurs.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #67 on: 24 October, 2022, 05:53:01 pm »

If I had to reduce the weight of the kit as the OP posted it, I would do two things.

1 - Replace the tubes with TPU inner tubes

2 - Replace the spanner with one of these https://www.fine-tools.com/lightool-spanners.html

The TPU tubes are a lot lighter than traditional tubes. Using a spanner from the lightool range will save weight, the same as chopping up the existing spanner, but without risk of sharp edges etc...

As for the kitchen sink model of tool kit. I am well and truly a paid up card carrying member of that one. I have a top tube bag that is just tools, plus a track pump in the frame bag.

Why? Well If I've forked out all that money and effort to get to the start of a ride, I'm gonna be pissed off if half way round I have to pay more money to get a cab to a station to go home, cos of something that i could otherwise fix with simple tools at the road side. This is why I said earlier Your threat model is not my thread model (sorry I work in security). If you really don't care that you have to call the wife, or what ever the cycling equivalent of ADAC is 30km into a 200k ride cos your bike broke, then sure, carry next to no spares. But I want to be able to keep going. I've had rides where I've been unable to find an open bike shop for days, and hundreds of kilometers (Sweden, Luxembourg/France/Germany).

My tool kit currently is:

- 4 Tyre levers (with reflective tape): 2 is enough, but I've had them go ping into the undergrowth before. Not worth the risk they weigh fuckall
- VAR Bead Jack: Seating a tyre when it's -5°C and your hands are rapidly going numb, having a tool that can get a recalcitrant tyre into place easily is important
- Topeak Ratchet Rocket: Bit set + chain tool. Not the lightest out there, but exceptionally easy to use, very reliable.
- Puncture repair kit:  Rema tip top TT02, filled up with extra patches. Riding in scandi the roads are covered in flints, which are a right pain
- Topeak mini torque bits: These go between a driver bit and the ratchet handle, and give 4/5/6nm torque wrenches. Useful for not over tightening things when in a rush.
- 15mm spanner: For my wheel nuts - Yep I don't run QR axles.
- 7mm + 8mm +11mm spanner: For doing the hoses on hydraulic brakes
- Di2 tool + spare wires: for (de)attaching wires
- Wolftooth cassette tool: These are ultra light cassette tools, carried not so much for use on the road, but if I can borrow a spanner from a farmer say. Weighs 31g.
- Wolftooth pack pliers with 2 spare links: Brilliant bit of kit, takes the faff out of breaking and installing quick links. Doubles as another tyre leaver at a push.
- Leatherman Juice CS4 multitool: A bit over kill, but pliers, knife, saw, etc...
- Universal key (https://amzn.to/3f0hJYJ): Technically not a tool, but lives in the same bag. This has been a life saver for being able to use taps at gas stations, churches, and graveyards where the handle has been removed. I used this on the first night of the TCR to get water to refill my bottles.
- Mini ducttape roll: From AMK. Compact way of taking tape.
- Lighter: Useful for fixing frayed straps, and lighting fires (used that in finland).
- Water puritabs: again not a tool, but in the same pouch, just in case you find water you don't trust
- 2.5mm allen key: Needed to adjust GRX brake levers
- 3mm allen key: needed for TRP Spyre break adjustment, legacy item.
- Tyre boot
- 15ml Bottle of oil: Long rides means oil if it rains.
- cable ties, numerous
- USB cables
- Petzl E+lite compact head torch
- Spare bolts
- Spare brake pads
- Gloves
- 2 spare tubes
- Spare batteries (aaa + 2032).

I also have schrader to presta adaptors (plus dust caps) on both valves of the tubes on the wheels. This has been incredibly useful. When my previous pump packed it 60km from the end of RATN, it was only the presta side that failed, I used the Schrader adaptor, and could get my tyre inflated. I've also used them a lot in scandi at gas stations. I've lent them to other riders on Audaxes so they could use a gas station compressor to get their tyre up to a good pressure.

My pump is a Topeak Turbo Morph G. This is considerably larger than most people carry. But when you realise that getting a tyre upto 5-6bar with many a mini pump can be 300+ strokes, having a larger more ergonomic pump is a godsend. I've lent this to others at the side of the road, where they've been faffing with a mini pump and failing to get the pressure they need.

I appreciate that this is massively overkill for most people on most rides. But I've used every tool apart from the cassette ring at some point on one ride or another. Key tools have reflective tape on them as mentioned above. I've fixed strangers bikes at the side of the road. I've done repairs on my bike during ultra races. I've used them on audaxes, on tours. When I set out on a ride, I don't expect to have to ask anyone for any help whilst I'm on the ride. I value self reliance, and think it important to be able to fix your own bike where possible.

*BUT* with all that said. I know that other people have a different view on this matter, it's a very personal choice, and I would not say that the above is for everyone. The OP's kit looks like it covers the main issues. See top of this post for the easiest ways to make it lighter. I personally wouldn't use self adhesive patches, I've seen them fail in high temps, which are more common in summer now. But that's personal choice.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #68 on: 24 October, 2022, 05:54:11 pm »
Yes, but see what I said earlier about riding a well-maintained bike. That includes correctly set dérailleurs.

Or it gets mangled by stuff falling on it on the train... or outside a cafe...

or a stick goes through it...

J
--

« Reply #69 on: 24 October, 2022, 06:01:50 pm »
Be more careful

« Reply #70 on: 24 October, 2022, 06:03:14 pm »
, and instead of a multi-tool it's the 3 main hex keys I use..

Same here.  Those 3 will fit everything apart from pedals.  Specific hex keys are much nicer/easier to use (especially Wera colour-coded ones) than any multi-tool I've tried.  I take a separate (very) small flat screwdriver for adjusting derailleurs - the only thing not covered by the hex keys.
The sound of one pannier flapping

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #71 on: 24 October, 2022, 06:05:14 pm »
Same here.  Those 3 will fit everything apart from pedals.  Specific hex keys are much nicer/easier to use (especially Wera colour-coded ones) than any multi-tool I've tried.  I take a separate (very) small flat screwdriver for adjusting derailleurs - the only thing not covered by the hex keys.

I love the ratchet rocket tool. The ratchet function makes thing so much easier. Otherwise I'd agree on the individual allen keys.

J
--

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #72 on: 24 October, 2022, 07:03:31 pm »

My tool kit currently is...

Taking notes here. Thanks very much!

I see nothing wrong with OP's original and hate the idea of giving up a ride for want of something that doesn't really add that much weight in the grand scheme of things.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #73 on: 24 October, 2022, 07:24:03 pm »
Massive thank you to all of you.

All very useful comments and very much appreciated.  I’m a bit overwhelmed and I think it will probably take me a few days to have a look through and digest/research the suggestions.

It’s helpful to know that I’m not miles off and I do realise that in the grand scheme of things it probably isn’t going to make a massive difference over the course of 300k but as tescos say every little helps!!

« Reply #74 on: 24 October, 2022, 08:04:36 pm »
I carry breakdown insurance that costs about £14 a year. And I don't bother carrying all those things that might get used once every two decades.

Care to share the insurer with us? Have tried finding such things in the past, google-fu lets me down and only finds bike theft insurance.
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"