Author Topic: lost velodromes  (Read 2079 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
lost velodromes
« on: 05 December, 2018, 08:41:39 pm »
Walking past Grangemouth stadium this evening, I saw what seemed to be a banked oval around the outside of the running track.

Aha, I said to myself, velodrome. But on closer inspection through the gate, the track seems not to be continuous.

What other regional velodromes are we missing ?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Re: lost velodromes
« Reply #1 on: 05 December, 2018, 09:25:13 pm »
Saffon Lane, Leicester - demolished as late as 2008  :(

I've raced with the BHPC on it.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #2 on: 05 December, 2018, 09:37:47 pm »
Nottingham, Cannock, Coventry ( The Butts), Birmingham Salford Park ( promised a replacement, but never happened, even for the Commonwealth Games).

« Reply #3 on: 05 December, 2018, 09:59:25 pm »
Newport Athletic Club, Clairville Stadium in Middlesbrough, Paddingtom Recreation Ground, Fallowfield in Manchester, and Kirkby in Liverpool.

There were rumours that there had been a track in Lingdale in North Yorkshire, but my Dad (who died in 2010) was never able to find any definite information.

« Reply #4 on: 05 December, 2018, 10:12:57 pm »
The only one I could think of is Meadowbank. But I found this list - there is one in Grangemouth on there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cycling_tracks_and_velodromes#Velodromes_no_longer_in_use

« Reply #5 on: 05 December, 2018, 10:16:28 pm »

There were rumours that there had been a track in Lingdale in North Yorkshire, but my Dad (who died in 2010) was never able to find any definite information.

There's a bit of information here: http://www.hidden-teesside.co.uk/2013/06/12/lingdale-cycling-memorial/

« Reply #6 on: 05 December, 2018, 11:13:08 pm »
There was cycle racing in Crystal Palace Park. Not sure if it was a velodrome or rather more multi purpose.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #7 on: 05 December, 2018, 11:46:21 pm »
Putney Velodrome was the first concrete track in England. Disappeared in about 1905 I believe.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 06 December, 2018, 01:16:47 am »
I think there was a cycle racing track (not a velodrome) at the Welsh Harp, near here.

« Reply #9 on: 06 December, 2018, 06:02:04 am »
Cycle racing still takes place in Crystal Palace Park, not so much a velodrome as part of the old motor racing circuit.
Didn't Paddington have a wooden-boarded velodrome at one time?

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #10 on: 06 December, 2018, 07:06:36 am »
Wickstead Park, Kettering is no more. I last rode on it in 1977, not an official race as it was no longer in use but a few friends and I bunked off school for the afternoon and played at track racing. I remember having to hitch a ride back to Northampton on the back of a truck because I broke a crank that afternoon.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 06 December, 2018, 08:16:15 am »
Swindon has one.  Sort of.  There's a cycle speedway track at The Oasis.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 06 December, 2018, 08:19:55 am »
This one's lost to the start of PBP next year:

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 06 December, 2018, 08:20:05 am »
A 1911 OS map shows a "Cycle Track" around the edge of Gloucestershire County cricket ground.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #14 on: 06 December, 2018, 11:55:38 am »
The 1922 World track championships were held on the New Brighton Tower track on the Wirral.

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/worlds-cycling-championships

The Tower Athletics grounds disappeared sometime after WW2.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #15 on: 06 December, 2018, 01:01:39 pm »

There's a bit of information here: http://www.hidden-teesside.co.uk/2013/06/12/lingdale-cycling-memorial/

Thanks. I've found it on a satellite photograph; there's a football pitch on the infield, and it looks like there is still a track/path round it.