Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2963520 times)

Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #21075 on: 25 May, 2018, 05:49:15 pm »
£14.30 for an off peak day return from Liverpool to Manchester  >:(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #21076 on: 25 May, 2018, 07:22:56 pm »
£14.30 for an off peak day return from Liverpool to Manchester  >:(

And it’s running 20 minutes late. I’m going to miss the start of the concert.  :'(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #21077 on: 26 May, 2018, 10:10:28 pm »
Oi! B&Q (and any other friggin' bathroom retailer) get to fuck with the 'your bathroom can look like this for 199 quid' bollocks whilst showing us rooms the size of aircraft hangers.

Who the fuck can fit the entire family in the bathroom all at the same time?

Just fuck off.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #21078 on: 27 May, 2018, 01:57:23 am »
See also "kitchens you could hold a 5-a-side tournament in without disturbing the cook".
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21079 on: 27 May, 2018, 01:24:00 pm »
Who the fuck can fit the entire family in the bathroom all at the same time?

We probably could.  Thanks to copy & paste architecture, our bathroom is exactly the same shape as our kitchen, without the inconvenience of an external door.  This means we have an enormous bathroom (with the bath the wrong way round due, presumably, to unimaginative drainage), and a small kitchen where nothing fits properly.

If I owned the house, I'd fettle things so the washing machine could live in the bathroom, as is commonly done in ABROAD, where the FOREIGNS come from.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #21080 on: 27 May, 2018, 04:33:01 pm »
We could fit several families. Finding an appropriate room in a converted ex-doctor's surgery is interesting. Bathroom 4m2
It is simpler than it looks.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21081 on: 27 May, 2018, 06:05:01 pm »
we used to have the washing machine in the bathroom, that worked very well.

That bathroom was huge, the bath was long enough for me to lie completely flat in it, emptied the tank every time we used it.  You could have held a barn dance I there.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #21082 on: 29 May, 2018, 05:36:03 pm »
Got a good price selling a frameset on the Bay of Thieves.  Winning bidder now says he's short of cash and can't pay.  Bet he was bidding on two auctions at the same time.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #21083 on: 06 June, 2018, 01:41:02 pm »
Booked the afternoon off work to go for a bike ride. Planned a lovely 70 miles to Stratford upon Avon and back.

The sunshine was out, the wind just right for a slight tailwind on the way home.

Things were looking good.

I went to top up the air in my tyre.

Pssssssssssst

The guy who built my wheels isn't very good with latex tubes, so I told him to use cotton rim tape. He did, but he cut it off both sides of the valve hole. My tube had failed on the valve stem where it rubbed against the metal. My front tube blew 2 weeks ago with exactly the same issue.

No worries, thought I; I have spare rim tape and tube; I shall fix this.

GP4000S and new Open Pro rims are so mismatched on size that the last time I forced them together them, the bead of the GP4000S wasn't pulled out of the trough in the rim bed until I hit 50PSI on the inner tube. accordingly, they do not want to separate. I used tyre levels and every swear word I knew but it wanted blood. I obligingly skinned all of my knuckles. Any flexing of my fingers made lots more blood spurt out. Genuinely spurt.

About 8 months back, I planned for just such an occasion; I ordered the parts for a winter (/backup) bike. Due to the 15 million standards that are now present, I had to put mountain bike style disc brakes on the frame and STI shifters. The first cable set I got didn't work because the hose needed a banjo connection to connect to the brakes. When I ordered the cable set with the banjo connection, the screw in connection to the STIs was too short. This is now in the bike shop waiting to get the right length screw in component.

I now have an afternoon that is perfect for cycling, 1 bike wheel partly dismantled and covered in blood, a bike that is shocked by my fruity language and a winter bike that's in hiding until sometime in the distant future when only 1 human is left and there will be some harmony on standards.

On the plus side, I have an afternoon to find out the best way to remove blood from a brake surface...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #21084 on: 06 June, 2018, 02:09:39 pm »
My new tubulars turned up.  They are clinchers. Some eBay sellers are fricking hopeless.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #21085 on: 07 June, 2018, 10:26:14 pm »
Not very long ago, needing some 'proper 'circlip pliers for a job, I bought some made by Roebuck.  I can't remember where or why I bought them (maybe it was to dismantle one of the pneumatic undercarriage cylinders on one of my larger model aeroplanes), but they were about £10-£15 IIRC.  I could have bought some 'real' Knipex pliers, at £50 or so, but I don't use them every day, or even every week, or every month.  Maybe 3 or 4 times a year, so I reckoned that £50 for a very few uses a year was unjustified.  Unlike a bottom bracket tool that gets used once every 5 years.  That's fully justified.

But when I want to use them, I blo*dy well need them to work.  Not for the nose on one of them to snap off like a carrot when I need to remove a circlip to change a bearing on my strimmer. So, I bought a pair of not too cheap circlip pliers, used them maybe once, and now they've gone in the recycling bin as they are now useless.  Is it unreasonable not to have to pay £50 for a professional grade tool for occasional use?  If I really wanted them to break on the second use, I'd have bought some off Fleabay for a pound.

The world's gone mad I tell you.  Mad.  But not half as mad as me.  £10 or so down the drain and now no circlip pliers.

I'd have shrugged my shoulders but TheLurker OTP put me up to this rant.  Quite right too.  Someone had to.

« Reply #21086 on: 08 June, 2018, 04:17:33 pm »
I spend flipping hours (quite literally) chasing people to get an internal course booked for myself and people on my team, manage to join a booking made by someone else. Then I have to sort out the room booking because the flipping useless training resource team (not the trainers) can't manage to do that.

Today some random dude demands to boot me and my team off the course so he can add in 5 other people. He is a senior random dude so I can't respond in the way I wish to respond.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #21087 on: 08 June, 2018, 08:52:24 pm »
Today some random dude demands to boot me and my team off the course so he can add in 5 other people. He is a senior random dude so I can't respond in the way I wish to respond.

Think you could get away with this?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #21088 on: 08 June, 2018, 10:45:41 pm »

Polite and to the point, can’t see a problem

Think you could get away with this?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #21089 on: 09 June, 2018, 09:13:16 pm »
All I am saying is that it would be a shame if someone accidentally set off the fire alarm during the course. Especially unfortunate if they did it two or three times.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #21090 on: 11 June, 2018, 08:54:05 pm »
Life is struggle and conflict.

See also: People are arseholes.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #21091 on: 12 June, 2018, 03:03:13 pm »
1) I am heading down to London today.
2) a Skype interview that was arranged for 12.30, I sat in on for 15 minutes then gave up
3) I emailed the slave trader to communicate this, only to be told "he's been sat with Skype open for the last 15, waiting for you to call him"
4) WTF? What did he think that bit, in the meeting invite, meant when it said "join the call"?
5) I get email from said person saying "oh, sorry, didn't realise, can do later today"
6) You are applying for a highly technical role and you can't work that shit out? Do you seriously think that you have a chance with our systems? At the very least it shows that you don't read instructions.
7) post email rants to hr, slave trader etc, I check what time I need to be at the station. 11.09. TWO FUCKING HOURS AGO!
8 ) A quick rebooking of ticket and I am on a different train, walking through the carriages carrying a large bag and a laptop bag, woman coming towards me, carrying nothing, expects me to move so she can get past!
9) Grand Central, sort your shit out, the 1st class goes at the London end, not wherever you feel like putting the damned thing.

The is full of morons today.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ian

« Reply #21092 on: 12 June, 2018, 07:58:50 pm »
Unrant: The delightful trainmongers of Southern have unleashed a new timetable to 'provide me with a more reliable service with fewer delays and late trains.'

Rant: They've avoided those frequent late trains by simply making every train late. A train that used to be 46 minutes is now 63 of which over the balance is now spent waiting at each station. Splendid wheeze. Oh, that 63 minute train? It still managed to be five minutes late. They did, to their credit, offset this with a faster non-stopping train. Which takes 46 minutes, the same time as the previous stopping services.

Unrant: The council's refuse contractor have some splendid new bin lorries. Biggerer and betterer.

Rant: The can't fit around the corner outside or navigate through the local vehicleosclerosis. One was stuck for 2.5 hours outside today.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #21093 on: 12 June, 2018, 08:10:26 pm »
When I first started commuting in the early 2000s after we moved out of That London, the train to work took just over an hour. The same journey now is over an hour and a half, and even the 'High Speed' service is slower than the old stopping service used to be.

I'm soooooo glad I no longer commute.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #21094 on: 12 June, 2018, 08:31:23 pm »
I fortunately don't commute most days, other than up and down the stairs, but every now and again the mothership calls and after The Incident no one uses the teleport to beam up. Cycling door-to-door usually takes 75-80 minutes in comparison (though I won't cycle down the A22 because I'm in no hurry to be dead). The long train journey means the average speed of the train is below 20 mph.

The irony was today, given that I still had to cycle from London Bridge to Knightsbridge after I'd got off the train, the better part of 25 minutes, it would have been a lot quicker to cycle all the way. I cycled home though, which was pleasing. More so because some younger and fully kitted out roadie chap tried to overtake me on the steep hill. And failed. He sort of got level then turned a weird puce colour and made a noise like a flatulent pitbull that had just swallowed a balloon and then been dropped off a tall building onto a concrete driveway. The best bit was that I wasn't even trying to win, I was just trying to survive the upward trawl.

As that was unranty, I'll rant some more. Trackstanding cyclists. I know, there you are, balancing. Forward, backward, there a wiggle, everywhere a wiggle. Look at my ninja skills, I'm so cool. Etc. A correction: it just makes you look like a dick (and for the record, I've never seen a female cyclist do it, so dick is apposite). Just put your fucking foot down like a normal person. Also, eventually, you're bound to fall over and everyone will laugh at you and quite probably drive over your head. Which is definitively uncool.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21095 on: 12 June, 2018, 08:35:30 pm »
I reckon urban trackstanding should only permitted in special circumstances.  Mostly involving cleat bolt failure, massive puddles (and I mean proper floodwater, not just something you could have pulled up alongside), or the trolling of self-driving cars.

But I have no ninja skills, and I'm just jealous.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21096 on: 12 June, 2018, 08:47:02 pm »
I'll keep trackstanding. My cleats last for ages longer than those foot-down types.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

ian

« Reply #21097 on: 12 June, 2018, 08:54:18 pm »
As a once-upon-a-time BMX boy I must have got it all out of my system as a teenager. I once rode all the way down our street backwards. You try cycling backwards, it's really quite difficult. As life skills go, however, it's not very portable so I'm unsure why I still list it on my CV.

Endos, three-sixties, bunnyhops, wheelies, quarterpipes, and ever more fearsome ramps. God we did some stupid shit that should have, by rights, killed us, but we were built tough back then. I once bunnyhopped onto a car roof. Of course, cars were a lot lower back then. Had to pedal pretty fast too, once the owner emerged to express his appreciation for my ninja BMX skillz.

ian

« Reply #21098 on: 12 June, 2018, 09:14:42 pm »
Wear normal shoes, then cleats are not a problem. And you can walk in them without looking like you're suffering from a aggressive case of piles (I don't for the record know what aggressive piles are, my mum told me when I was little that sitting on cold doorsteps would give me piles, so through avoiding cold doorsteps I've avoided any kind of bumlumps). Plus you won't annoy me by bobbing about in front of me at the lights or unclipping and then slowly wobbling away trying to clip back in.

I'm also going to rant about glasses. Six hundred fucking quid. Can I see through walls? Can I see Martians having a picnic in their back yard? No. Video coms? Mission Impossible missions? No. I can't even see through women's clothes (so I still need the bloody internet). Honestly, I was expecting a bit more. I had this rant at the spotty ten-year-old minion in the opticians though it was ten times longer. He looked quite terrified at the end. At least I now know they don't have a panic button.

« Reply #21099 on: 13 June, 2018, 07:19:44 am »
Re train timetables. The best part of 200 years ago they worked out train timetables with a pencil and piece of paper and took pride in trains being on time. In the age of space travel and inexpensive computing we seem unable to do this. Why is this?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain