Author Topic: Tent pics...  (Read 215720 times)

Re: Tent pics...
« Reply #575 on: 25 July, 2018, 01:43:58 pm »
the Pro sounds like a bargain for £108. Not quite sure about the pairing with the tarp - looks like they are mating in some shots.

« Reply #576 on: 26 July, 2018, 12:00:37 pm »
Still playing around with the tarp.  :)  One can also get something called the Banshee gear store, which is like a small extra porch, and moar ££ than the tarp.  I looked at reviews and decided the tarp may be more flexible - to keep some extra kit dry/ area for cooking if wet etc.

Looks like B300P has gone up again in £.

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #577 on: 06 August, 2018, 09:35:17 pm »
New tent!

Quechua Quick Hiker 3 Fresh & Black

Update:

BN:  Oh noes!  It's b0rked!

GN: Since it happened just within the 30 days distance selling limit, and they still had some in stock, arranging a no-quibble exchange was simply a matter of filling in web form, and a replacement is already on its way to the collection point thingy at a nearby Asda.  I will partake in some comedy off-roading[1] to swap it for the new one later in the week.

Consensus amongst the various ALC types who were present is that this is a stress fracture caused by the crimping of the ferrule, and therefore a manufacturing defect.  Certainly it's not where I'd expect a pole to fail.  The hole in the fly is unfortunate collateral damage.

Conclusion after a further three nights of scorchio is that it does start to get quite warm if the air is completely still (I measured 33C in the tent when the ambient air was 26ish), but much less so than with traditional fabrics.  As soon as there's a bit of breeze the difference is greatly reduced.  Opening the door on the side that isn't in direct sunlight helps, but opening the one that is can make it heat up rapidly.

Useful side benefit of a completely black inner:  It's of negligible interest to flying beasties.  Over three nights my invaders were limited to a couple of ants on Watlington's flying ant day, and a solitary earwig (which may soon be on its way to the decathlon depot, because it's surprisingly hard to find earwigs in a black tent at night).

Still not had any rain, but the dew evaporation rate is - as you'd expect - at the Hilleberg (ie. slow) end of the spectrum.

At 4kg and most of a back-roller full, it's a bit too much tent for solo cycle touring, but still practical to carry by bike if you're riding somewhere to camp.  I expect I'll be using it to enhance my sleep at the York Rally in future.

[1] There's a cyclepath that would be a convenient direct route, if you didn't need a mountain bike and no luggage to ride it easily.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #579 on: 13 August, 2018, 07:29:36 pm »
Very cool picture, and the linked article is excellent.

« Reply #580 on: 27 July, 2019, 08:08:47 pm »
Here's me new tent on its (almost) first outing on the Isle of Barra.

It's a Luxe Megahorn, a bit heavy for cycle touring but Mrs b will only cycle camp in a tent that she can stand up in.

SANY0006 by Joe B, on Flickr

SANY0005 by Joe B, on Flickr

« Reply #581 on: 27 July, 2019, 08:23:54 pm »
How much does that weight?

Must admit I don't entirely understand her need to stand.

« Reply #582 on: 27 July, 2019, 09:07:17 pm »
The standing thing goes back to a camping trip we did when she had a bad back a few years ago, she had difficulty in the tent so in order to save a three week Germany/Netherlands trip we had planned I borrowed a Terra Nova Laser Space 2 which she could stand up in.  She no longer has a bad back but won't go back to a normal height tent.

Weight wise its about 4.5kg but could be nearly a kg lighter if the inner is left behind.  The weight wasn't much of an issue on this trip as it was just me and 9 year old mini Joe and I was only cycling at his speed.  Besides the pannier full of wetsuits and snorkeling gear weighed more. 

« Reply #583 on: 27 July, 2019, 09:30:10 pm »
I think I stayed at that campsite a few years ago.  Do they have a toilet block yet ?   I had to get my trowel out....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #584 on: 27 July, 2019, 10:09:38 pm »
I think I stayed at that campsite a few years ago.  Do they have a toilet block yet ?   I had to get my trowel out....

Yes, a very nice utility block. The kitchen has an oven, microwave, kettle, pots pans and scran spanners, tea and coffee. Even rather good wifi.

I stayed at the site in March 2017 and it was there then, I had the site to myself on that trip too which was rather nice.

That particular site is this one, http://www.barracamping.co.uk/  and being just 2 miles from Castlebay is very useful for the ferry back to Oban which departs at 0755(ish).  Because of this it can get busy but that was useful on this occasion as it meant there were plenty of other kids for mini Joe to play with.

Croft Number 3 campsite at the most Northerly point of the island is much quieter and also set in beautiful surroundings, a little more basic but it still provides everything a cycle camper requires.   

« Reply #585 on: 27 July, 2019, 10:25:15 pm »
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=59070.msg1219694#msg1219694

Yes, same place , 2012.  I was in my Shangri-La 3.  I think they'd just opened.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #586 on: 28 July, 2019, 12:40:21 am »

I've camped on that spot too

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #587 on: 28 July, 2019, 12:05:19 pm »

I've camped on that spot too

Surprised they let you in with a non-pointy tent :)