Author Topic: Sourcing Koolstop pads for Campag brakes  (Read 1584 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Sourcing Koolstop pads for Campag brakes
« on: 29 August, 2009, 12:00:08 am »
My Campag Mirage equipment bike needs new brake pads. I was thinking about replacing the dead pads with some Koolstop pads because everyone seems to rave about them. However, despite hunting through various websites (inc. Ribble, Parker, Dotbike, Chain Reaction Cycles, Bike+, Wiggle and Spa) I cannot find what I need. I came across some Koolstop Dura holders & pads from Spa, but would I be correct in thinking they are for Shimano and not Campag? If so, the best I've found are Campag inserts, which isn't too useful because I don't have the actually shoe (is that the correct phrase?). Could I buy some Campag brake blocks & shoes and replace the actual pads with the Koolstop inserts from Dotbike?

Yours,

Confused of Cumbria
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Re: Sourcing Koolstop pads for Campag brakes
« Reply #1 on: 29 August, 2009, 12:11:58 am »
My LBS was able to order in the Koolstops I needed. We just looked up the wholesaler and ordered the correct type.  :thumbsup:

He bought 4 pairs into stock on the basis I have two bikes and would soon want the second two pairs, and if not then someone else would use them.

Matthew

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 29 August, 2009, 01:27:57 am »
My Campag Mirage equipment bike needs new brake pads. I was thinking about replacing the dead pads with some Koolstop pads because everyone seems to rave about them. However, despite hunting through various websites (inc. Ribble, Parker, Dotbike, Chain Reaction Cycles, Bike+, Wiggle and Spa) I cannot find what I need. I came across some Koolstop Dura holders & pads from Spa, but would I be correct in thinking they are for Shimano and not Campag?

Those are excellent and can be used with all caliper brakes, except some vintages of Mirage and similar need the slots filing slightly wider to get the nuts through.  That one-off job is worth doing to get very easy pad replacement in future.  It's physically harder with the Campag type to slide the pads in and out of the shoes (aka holders).

If so, the best I've found are Campag inserts, which isn't too useful because I don't have the actually shoe (is that the correct phrase?).

Correct.  They require Campag or Campag-compatible shoes.  I'm not sure which are suitable for Mirage.  Some Campag nuts are a lot more than slightly wider than Mirage slots.

Could I buy some Campag brake blocks & shoes and replace the actual pads with the Koolstop inserts from Dotbike?

No, they're one-piece blocks, despite the confusing description there.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #4 on: 29 August, 2009, 10:04:54 am »
Brilliant, thanks guys.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/