Author Topic: Getting a shirt to work  (Read 5933 times)

Getting a shirt to work
« on: 21 May, 2010, 02:51:35 pm »
I start my new job in a few weeks and for it i have to wear a shirt and tie.
Now, i hate shirts and ties, but ive got to wear one so there we go.
Commuting by bike, got a pannier, how do i do it?
Roll it up and put it in like i do now?
Im hoping or guessing i have a locker so i can take a few and leave them there with my shoes and tie and trousers, and then just take in at the start and take home at the end.
Not able to take them in by a car as i dont have one and wont have one till nearer winter.
So do i roll them up? Special fold?
Cheers

Don't question. It makes people angry.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Getting a shirt to work
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2010, 02:54:07 pm »
I start my new job in a few weeks and for it i have to wear a shirt and tie.
Now, i hate shirts and ties, but ive got to wear one so there we go.
Commuting by bike, got a pannier, how do i do it?
Roll it up and put it in like i do now?
Im hoping or guessing i have a locker so i can take a few and leave them there with my shoes and tie and trousers, and then just take in at the start and take home at the end.
Not able to take them in by a car as i dont have one and wont have one till nearer winter.
So do i roll them up? Special fold?
Cheers

Yes. Fold in the arms, roll them up.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2010, 02:57:57 pm »
Hang out or wear ASAP after arrival.

Never pack anything shortly after ironing as it creases much more easily.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2010, 02:59:04 pm »
Iron.
Do up buttons.
Lie shirt flat on table, buttons down.
Fold arms in and down keeping all creases aligned.
Fold shirt in thirds.

Pack flat.

« Reply #4 on: 21 May, 2010, 03:09:13 pm »
Iron.
Do up buttons.
Lie shirt flat on table, buttons down.
Fold arms in and down keeping all creases aligned.
Fold shirt in thirds.

Pack flat.
^ ^ ^
That's exactly what I do.

Plus I leave shoes and troos at work so only have to take in shorts, boxers and socks each day.

Folded shirt, boxers and socks then go in a placcy bag and into the pannier. Waterpoof already in there keeps things in shape.
Rust never sleeps

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 21 May, 2010, 03:32:02 pm »
If you have the storage space (like a locker), and take a week's worth or so in a pannier, that'd be a good idea.  Packed together, they keep each other flatter, and you don't end up forgetting.

I use exactly Pancho's method of folding, though, if I'm just taking one, I'll fold it loosely into four and put it at the top of my saddlebag.  When I get to work, I open out & refold into three.

Best if you have somewhere to hang them, but, folded carefully like that, they will still be presentable when you come to wear them.
Getting there...

plum

« Reply #6 on: 21 May, 2010, 04:14:42 pm »
I bought two thin see-through plastic suit bags from M&S [the ones you get new suits in when you buy them] for a couple of quid each. I put 5 clean shirts on wire hangers into one and roll that up, less creases than rolling or folding shirts individually. Just fits nicely into a 20L pannier. Then leave them hanging at work inside the bag, just take a clean one out every day. Towards the end of the week I get a new batch of five and take them in the other bag ready for Monday and take the empty bag home on Friday. My shirts always look freshly ironed even after a week inside one of these bags, in fact I've left them over the holidays for two or three weeks and they don't get creased at all.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 21 May, 2010, 04:16:30 pm »
I bought two thin see-through plastic suit bags ...

For your thin see-through plastic suits? ;D
Getting there...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: 21 May, 2010, 04:23:31 pm »
Stuff two in a plastic bag
Hang on a hanger when you get to work

When I heard about the "dress code" I was hoping for a Grayson Perry opportunity, but no

« Reply #9 on: 21 May, 2010, 04:26:58 pm »
Would a seersucker shirt get past your dress code polizei?

It worked for me.

Zoidburg

« Reply #10 on: 21 May, 2010, 04:38:59 pm »
With an iron and an ironing board.

« Reply #11 on: 21 May, 2010, 05:19:02 pm »

You want me to take an iron and ironing board with me to work aswell. Are you mad :o ???
Actually, i have access to one, My mum has one in her caravan ;)

Ill have to have a practice with the old folding. Not my strongest point :-\

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #12 on: 21 May, 2010, 05:34:09 pm »

You want me to take an iron and ironing board with me to work aswell. Are you mad :o ???

Also, pack them into a plastic carrier bag. For some bizzare reason, they don't crumple up as much like that.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 21 May, 2010, 05:35:12 pm »
If your folding is poor, first iron your shirts on a Saturday and put them all on individual hangers.
Leave them hanging all weekend.

Whilst still on hangers roll up the whole pile together. Put loosely into a plastic bag which goes loosely into pannier.
Hang up on arrival.

Zoidburg

« Reply #14 on: 21 May, 2010, 05:39:48 pm »

You leave the iron and the ironing board at work.

Get there ten minutes earlier and iron the shirt if needed.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #15 on: 21 May, 2010, 05:43:42 pm »

click for link
It is simpler than it looks.

Zoidburg

« Reply #17 on: 21 May, 2010, 07:34:34 pm »
I buy M&S easy care shirts, about £7... I have six

Iron at the weekend, pack in pannier on a Monday and then put on hangers, wear the remaining one from last week on Monday and all the creases from travel will have fallen out by the time you come to wear them on Tuesday.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #18 on: 21 May, 2010, 07:49:54 pm »

"Eagle creek pack-it" is all you need

« Reply #19 on: 21 May, 2010, 08:11:34 pm »
I buy M&S easy care shirts, about £7... I have six

Iron at the weekend, pack in pannier on a Monday and then put on hangers, wear the remaining one from last week on Monday and all the creases from travel will have fallen out by the time you come to wear them on Tuesday.

Think thats the shirt that i have already. Seems quite good. Ill have to learn to iron them aswell, my parents are off to Austria my second week that ill be there :o
They should after a while supply a shirt as part of the uniform. Ill have a tie with the company name/logo on, but im guessing the shirt will come later and hopefully ill get a few of those so they will last me.

Cheers for the sound advice again everyone 8)

« Reply #20 on: 23 May, 2010, 07:57:20 am »
May sound a little expensive but is there a dry cleaners or laundry service near work?
If so, get shirts for a week + 2 spares. Drop used ones off at laundry Friday lunch time or after work, pick up Monday before work or lunch time. You just need to make sure you have a couple of spares to cover the overlap Friday afternoon and Monday morning if you have to pick up at lunchtimes.
Fresh clean pressed shirts every day, and you don't even have to wash or iron them yourself!
Do the same with trousers as well.
You'll be the smartest guy in the office

« Reply #21 on: 23 May, 2010, 11:08:28 am »
May sound a little expensive but is there a dry cleaners or laundry service near work?
If so, get shirts for a week + 2 spares. Drop used ones off at laundry Friday lunch time or after work, pick up Monday before work or lunch time. You just need to make sure you have a couple of spares to cover the overlap Friday afternoon and Monday morning if you have to pick up at lunchtimes.
Fresh clean pressed shirts every day, and you don't even have to wash or iron them yourself!
Do the same with trousers as well.
You'll be the smartest guy in the office

Following this theme, one of your cleaners at work may be up for a bit of moonlighting washing and ironing shirts and bringing them back in.

amg

« Reply #22 on: 23 May, 2010, 08:22:57 pm »

+1.  I've used one for commuting and for work trips.  You can fit a week's worth of shirts plus a pair of trousers in and it keeps them uncreased. I got mine here https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/productdetail/id_product/18033 Recommended.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #23 on: 24 May, 2010, 12:00:17 am »
I always have the same answer to this question whenever it comes up.

Two pairs of decent trousers.  They live at work permanently.  You need two pairs so that one can be at the dry cleaners near your work occasionaly.

Two pairs of decent shoes.  One pair lives at home, the other in the office.  Occasionally swaped for cleaning/fettling.

Locker also contains:  1 spare white shirt (goes with any tie), one spare tie (plain), pair of black socks.  Spare shreddies. - These are for when you open your pack and realise "shit!  I've forgotten my......"

How to pack daily shirt?  Marks and Sparks Non-Iron shirts are your freind.  After washing them, dry them on a hanger.  To pack, just fold it loosely into a plastic bag and place on top f everything else in your pannnier/backpack.
Do not fold tightly, you'll only get creases where you don't want them.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #24 on: 24 May, 2010, 01:07:14 pm »

+1.  I've used one for commuting and for work trips.  You can fit a week's worth of shirts plus a pair of trousers in and it keeps them uncreased. I got mine here https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/productdetail/id_product/18033 Recommended.

I've used these.  I don't bother now for my daily shirt, but they're ideal for taking several shirts/other garments at once.  They come in more than one size - make sure you get one that fits your luggage.

Yes. Fold in the arms, roll them up.

..d

That's what I do now (rolled around socks and underwear) - then put in a cotton bag/carrier bag to keep clean in your cycling luggage.