Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1754076 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #6950 on: 09 June, 2015, 04:14:41 pm »
There must have been some serious dosh at stake for him to break cover like that.

You didn't get hustled did you ?
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #6951 on: 09 June, 2015, 04:19:14 pm »
There must have been some serious dosh at stake for him to break cover like that.

You didn't get hustled did you ?

:o I feel a little  :sick: maybe I did...... Basically he was navigating at that point and I thought it a good opportunity to rest the pins and sit in his slipstream  :thumbsup:

« Reply #6952 on: 09 June, 2015, 05:02:18 pm »
I find his slipstream doesn't do much from 2 kilometres away  :facepalm:

He'll have to be your wingman.

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #6953 on: 09 June, 2015, 05:46:23 pm »
A many layered weave of hustle and counter hustle.

« Reply #6954 on: 09 June, 2015, 06:11:55 pm »
You'll have DL(TRATF) joining gamblers anonymous at this rate.

There must be something in the MEMWNS rule book about this sort of thing.  Chapter 12 paragraph 4 clause 2 sub-clause (ii) from memory but it's a few weeks since I studied it properly.

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #6955 on: 09 June, 2015, 06:34:48 pm »
Route looks good DL, you obviously liked that road to Great Totham!

« Reply #6956 on: 09 June, 2015, 07:20:12 pm »
I will try to intersect with the Witham breakaway somewhere around Totham.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6957 on: 09 June, 2015, 09:56:33 pm »
Mrs. Wow and I were discussing the possibility of joining the throng tomorrow night, our GP duties having been postponed to Friday, but Copford is quite a long way to go.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6958 on: 09 June, 2015, 10:02:38 pm »
And what is worse, whereas Copford is a mere gnat's crotchet from Marks Tey, there's only a bus service on for the later return trains. Not sure if ICBA to drive all that way given that Mrs. Wow will probably not be especially keen to drive back again.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6959 on: 10 June, 2015, 06:09:13 am »
There must be something in the MEMWNS rule book about this sort of thing.  Chapter 12 paragraph 4 clause 2 sub-clause (ii) from memory but it's a few weeks since I studied it properly.

You're carving yourself quite a niche!  The dispenser of fatherly advice to new members and now you're one man MEMWNS legal team. There's no-one better qualified  :thumbsup:

« Reply #6960 on: 10 June, 2015, 06:30:42 am »
If only my memory was up to it.

The rule I quoted was actually about the quorum required for the navigation sub-committee.

« Reply #6961 on: 10 June, 2015, 02:25:37 pm »
^ 'Tis possible. We'll see what is happening this weekend on the family front. June is supposed to be a quiet cycling month for me and the following [long] weekend I'm off to the York Rally...
Yes, Quiet June. I am finding it difficult to stick to but so far that has just meant booking things in for July, and the Windmill 200k!

The week in Wales with a broken wheel and the shorter faster stuff will keep the balance and the idea of the morning rides is that nothing happens in our house before 10am anyway so I should be able to get away with it!

I'll try and get a route posted up tonight.

The Retiree

« Reply #6962 on: 11 June, 2015, 08:37:32 am »
In what I believe was a MEMWNS first (well it was for me anyway) we had no founding members in attendance last night  :o the Witham peloton was rather on the light side with just myself and Andy C33 on the road, hoping to pick up Ted enroute but as he was running slightly late his interception of us at Totham was late meaning he had to settle for meeting us at the pub!  :thumbsup:

Lovely route out through previously unexplored lanes for me in the warm evening sun and a first visit to The Alma in Copford which was also a nice pub, 3 pints of Hunters Gold were sunk by each of us (the first sitting outside) whilst discussing the new MEMWNS legal policy with Ted.  ;)

The Retiree

« Reply #6963 on: 11 June, 2015, 08:39:48 am »
I am not going to make it this week, I will be sanding walls and filling holes >:(

I do plan on heading up to Wally's Café for a 'Fasting' ride early on Saturday if anyone is interested. Planning to leave home around 6 - 6:30 and will get up there as swiftly as my fat burning capabilities allow me to!

Anyone interested in coming along?

Looks like I have secured a pass from the Home Office for the ride on Saturday morning a 6.30am departure would work best for me if that suits everyone else? If not I shall try and catch/intercept you somewhere!
Looks as though we may have a nice little peloton going along as Ted is joining us as may Tomsk and Andy was being heavily persuaded by myself and Ted last night  :thumbsup: any other takers..........?

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6964 on: 11 June, 2015, 09:16:49 am »
Glad you relatively new boys are keeping the flag flying. I won't be around next week either, this work thing is a right pain in the arse.

« Reply #6965 on: 11 June, 2015, 09:41:07 am »
Glad you relatively new boys are keeping the flag flying.

You will be pleased to hear that DL(TRATF) is doing sterling work deputising for the founder members.

The Retiree

« Reply #6966 on: 11 June, 2015, 09:46:45 am »
Glad you relatively new boys are keeping the flag flying. I won't be around next week either, this work thing is a right pain in the arse.

Oh dear the 'yacht club' was mooted as a potential destination for next Weds! Will you be riding awheel on Saturday.....

The Retiree

« Reply #6967 on: 11 June, 2015, 09:48:27 am »
You will be pleased to hear that DL(TRATF) is doing sterling work deputising for the founder members.

I was rather concerned to be told that 'I was in charge' last night  :facepalm:

« Reply #6968 on: 11 June, 2015, 10:53:13 am »
Well the founders aren't getting any younger and it's important to bring new generations through into positions of authority.

Just don't let it get to your head.

The Hustler and I both noted that you had us out of the pub and pedalling hard by 10.45.  That would never happen if OD was leading.

I overheard a discussion at the bar last night about the Crown at Messing which seems to have a good selection of ales on (last night's was the clichéd selection only).  As Messing is at the heart of that little network of quiet roads between the A12 and the Tiptree Road, it could be an opportunity to do some fast laps or whatever it is that DL(TRATF) is itching to do on a Wednesday.  Just a thought for consideration...

The Retiree

« Reply #6969 on: 11 June, 2015, 11:07:49 am »
Well the founders aren't getting any younger and it's important to bring new generations through into positions of authority.

Just don't let it get to your head.

Tears up business cards....  :demon:

The Hustler and I both noted that you had us out of the pub and pedalling hard by 10.45.  That would never happen if OD was leading.

I overheard a discussion at the bar last night about the Crown at Messing which seems to have a good selection of ales on (last night's was the clichéd selection only).  As Messing is at the heart of that little network of quiet roads between the A12 and the Tiptree Road, it could be an opportunity to do some fast laps or whatever it is that DL(TRATF) is itching to do on a Wednesday.  Just a thought for consideration...

Most importantly we got the customary 3 pints in before departing and that last order bell had been called!

The Old Crown Messing was on the list as a potential for last night, shall we see how the peloton is looking for next week as we still have Rowhedge or the 'yacht club' to frequent whilst we have the light evenings  ;D

« Reply #6970 on: 11 June, 2015, 11:56:28 am »
Rowhedge and the YC seem like full peloton evenings.  We have a few weeks yet until the nights start getting too dark for the seaside.

If we are going to be a breakaway group again next week then what about a circuit near Messing ?  We can do a bit of chain gang and then if anyone ( :-[) falls by the wayside at least we are going round the same route.  I need more speed.

The Retiree

« Reply #6971 on: 11 June, 2015, 12:29:59 pm »
Rowhedge and the YC seem like full peloton evenings.  We have a few weeks yet until the nights start getting too dark for the seaside.

Hang on who's in charge here making the big decisions.....  ???

If we are going to be a breakaway group again next week then what about a circuit near Messing ?  We can do a bit of chain gang and then if anyone ( :-[) falls by the wayside at least we are going round the same route.  I need more speed.

So now we're talking a little speed session will need to take a look at circular route around Messing, just keep your eye on the Hustler!!

« Reply #6972 on: 11 June, 2015, 03:09:01 pm »
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/9877744

Fast is the new slow.

Obviously the decision is yours in your capacity as acting assistant group leader.

The Retiree

« Reply #6973 on: 11 June, 2015, 03:20:41 pm »
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/9877744

Fast is the new slow.

Obviously the decision is yours in your capacity as acting assistant group leader.

Can't get the course to open  :'( at least my new capacity is assistant group leader not THE group leader

« Reply #6974 on: 11 June, 2015, 04:02:33 pm »
It's basically a loop from Hardy's Green towards Copford turn left on Rectory Road towards Easthorpe then back round to Hardy's Green - 7.68Km so basically 5 miles of very quiet roads with only one stretch a little potholey at the moment.

With your permission we could thrash round that a few times until we get dizzy, thirsty or bored then head to the Old Crown.