Author Topic: Why you should use decent pads for your rim brakes  (Read 48875 times)

Re: Why you should use decent pads for your rim brakes
« Reply #25 on: 30 June, 2008, 03:54:04 pm »
how many miles do you expect from a set of blocks?
About 2000

how many miles do you expect from a rim?
14000 so far . . . 

how much do you pay for your blocks?

erm, 7.99 a pair

how much do your rims cost?

I buy complete wheels from Online Mountain Bike Shop - Merlin Cycles , 'cause they cost little more than the cost of the individual parts.

Does it make sense to buy budget blocks and build my own wheels?
No, because your braking will still suck.

My koolstop salmons have about 2000 miles on them. I washed my rims, wiped them down with washing up liquid to finish. I can lock the rear wheel up in the dry from the hoods easily. I can lock up both wheels from the hoods if I try.

I've never had such performance from other pads, not even Aztecs (which I used to swear by).

The cost is a huge squealing noise, but that just alerts peds and car drivers, so I'm not bothered by it, it's an advantage in city cycling.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #26 on: 30 June, 2008, 07:01:04 pm »
Aztecs are fab.  Definitely rim-friendly, but the corollary is that they are pretty soft and wear quickly.  I don't mind, cause they are easy to replace & set up (I do make sure I toe them in).  The gunge in winter can be a bit disheartening, but the stopping power is reliable, so I pay that price.

Kool-stops?  Tried several times, but never been impressed.

Opposite for me. Aztecs were great in the dry, completely useless in the wet so I switched to the Kool Stops instead. They seem OK so far. I've just got the standard Kool Stops- is there any advantage to the salmons other than stopping power?
I am nothing and should be everything

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #27 on: 30 June, 2008, 07:20:37 pm »
Yes - if you see my OP, the Kool-Stop salmons don't embed grit.

Having said that, I've gone off them because they squeal insufferably on brakes with any hint of slop in the pivots.  They're fine on short-reach caliper brakes (I have them on the front of the Fuji) but needed so much toe-in on cantis and Vs that I gave up.

Aztecs seem wonderful in the dry - the V-brake on the Frankendale is unusually good with them - and don't need toe-in.  Many years ago, when they still used a grey compound, they were crapola in the wet, but I haven't tried the current black compound in the rain yet.

One problem is that Aztecs have been through at least three generations of pad material that I know of, so saying they're good or bad is meaningless unless you know when the reviewer last tried them.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #28 on: 30 June, 2008, 07:44:09 pm »
I had my first ever rim split (really impressed by the magnificent sound - like a small explosion!) coming down a hill into Castleton in the Peak district.  Rims not new, but not overly worn before the trip- but eight days in bad weather carrying camping gear and diverting myself, through a combination of map reading mistakes and a wish to enjoy wilder country, down some very stony tracks, I am certain meant the brake pads, (Shimano inserts) picked up tons of grot which led to the rear rim's premature demise.  I had been moaning about these new  pads  for ages (my friends will be yawning here and nodding bored agreement) and was sure they were wearing out much faster than the old fashioned ones I had on my (very old} centrepulls.  Now I am sure I was right- have changed to the Koolstops and will see how these go.  Already they seem to be wearing better.  I looked at the Swisstops,  but didn't buy.  Yes, they are expensive, but to be honest, if I hadn't been slowing down on that descent due to rain and ascending car, I may have been going at around 35mph- I do not wish to imagine what may have happened.  So if I find they are better than the Kool Stops I will get them, if it saves money in the long run.

rogerzilla

« Reply #29 on: 30 June, 2008, 08:00:49 pm »
You haven't lived until you've used rubber blocks on chromed steel rims, in heavy rain  :D

Nothing happens.

« Reply #30 on: 30 June, 2008, 08:01:10 pm »
Wake up and smell the coffee people.
I forked out £26 for Swissstops for the MonstaThorn for exactly this reason.

Excellent illustration though.

£26 for brake blocks is beyond my budget, over priced if you ask me for something that IS going to wear out. I've never had a problem with premature rim wear and never used Kool Stop salmon or Swissstops.

Bet you wish you'd braked a bit on that corner though   ;)

« Reply #31 on: 30 June, 2008, 08:03:02 pm »
You haven't lived until you've used rubber blocks on chromed steel rims, in heavy rain  :D

Nothing happens.

Try brand new grey aztecs circa 1984, on steel chromed rims in the rain.

Even less than nothing happens.

« Reply #32 on: 30 June, 2008, 08:11:08 pm »

£26 for brake blocks is beyond my budget, over priced if you ask me for something that IS going to wear out. I've never had a problem with premature rim wear and never used Kool Stop salmon or Swissstops.

Bet you wish you'd braked a bit on that corner though   ;)

I did, but you can hear me shouting whoah at Roger as he is reversing his bike, cleverly done, at me.  ;D
Well that is how it happened in my mind.

rogerzilla

« Reply #33 on: 30 June, 2008, 08:11:25 pm »
Try brand new grey aztecs circa 1984, on steel chromed rims in the rain.

Even less than nothing happens.
Like, the bike speeds up, dude.

Pete

« Reply #34 on: 30 June, 2008, 08:14:15 pm »
Ooerr!! I agree, I've found the Clarks are pretty cr@p, but this phenomenon is news to me.  Must take a look sometime.

Only just (few weeks ago) bought a sizeable bagful of BBB Roadstop blocks mailorder - very cheap.  Anyone know if they are any good?  They have a different tread pattern than Clarks but fit in the same (campag-style) shoes.

« Reply #35 on: 30 June, 2008, 09:04:40 pm »

I did, but you can hear me shouting whoah at Roger as he is reversing his bike, cleverly done, at me.  ;D
Well that is how it happened in my mind.

I meant Mseries, not you  ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #36 on: 30 June, 2008, 09:10:51 pm »

I think that might have been the problem, I was braking and the wheel locked and/or skidded in the bend and slid away. Should have braked sooner. I did not crash for want of better brake blocks, my speed wasn't that high,  if it was I might have slid more and not hurt myself so much. Rider error.

it only took someone 8 months to try to dissect the crash. Cheers.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #37 on: 01 July, 2008, 09:52:59 am »

Nothing happens.

Down Walkley Bank

That's what decided me on buying the Aztecs in the first place.  And that, later, I would invest in alloy rims...

...and cantilever brakes...
Getting there...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #38 on: 01 July, 2008, 11:11:03 am »
Thought the asda brake were supposed to be really good?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #39 on: 01 July, 2008, 11:42:47 am »

I meant Mseries, not you  ;D ;D ;D

We don't have film of MSeries crashing....

GruB, on the other hand, is now immortalised.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #40 on: 01 July, 2008, 08:21:00 pm »
how many miles do you expect from a set of blocks?
About 2000

What do you lot do with your brake blocks to make them wear out so fast?

I've just done a quick tally as regards my current fleet, and the figures are as follows:

Steel summer bike (Ultegra brakes and blocks): 7,600 miles since new brakes and blocks were fitted - still going strong.

Winter weekend bike (Shimano RX100 brakes and blocks): 5,400 miles since new - still going strong.

Trek Pilot 5.2 (Shimano long reach brakes and blocks): 3,300 miles since new - still going strong

Commuter bike (Shimano Cantilevers): 5,400 miles in all weathers, and could probably do with changing.

Personally I don't have a problem with the performance of Shimano blocks, and I've been to the Alps several times, not to mention up and down most of the hills in the Yorkshire Dales.  I haven't worn out any rims yet, either.

Andrew

« Reply #41 on: 01 July, 2008, 08:40:29 pm »

Personally I don't have a problem with the performance of Shimano blocks, and I've been to the Alps several times, not to mention up and down most of the hills in the Yorkshire Dales.  I haven't worn out any rims yet, either.

Aye, maybes no - but what are the soles of your sand shoes like from pressing them onto your front tyre?    ;)

bobajobrob

« Reply #42 on: 01 July, 2008, 08:41:10 pm »
Shimano pads don't last long in the wet when there's lots of grit around. Also in general I find Kool stops smoother and more powerful than shimano pads.

rogerzilla

« Reply #43 on: 01 July, 2008, 09:07:52 pm »
I went literally halfway through a set of 105 rear pads on a 60-mile wet ride.  Prior to that, they'd been on there for a whole year of dry riding with no discernible wear.

(the wet weather bike was at the resprayers and I'd volunteered to lead the Beacon Sunday club run to Worcester...including a ford on the way back).

« Reply #44 on: 02 July, 2008, 01:07:02 pm »
Shimano pads don't last long in the wet when there's lots of grit around.

Indeed.  This was a new block after 180 miles :o
http://www.nuttycyclist.co.uk/rides/photos/brake_wear_small.jpg

But in general I'm happy with the Shimano blocks and use them all the time on the Dawes Audax.

« Reply #45 on: 02 July, 2008, 01:10:53 pm »
Haven't had a problem with the Shimano Ultegra blocks (on Mavic Open Pros) on either the fixed or Audax bike and both have done more than 3000km on them since I last changed them. And they've both done some fairly hilly and wet rides along with commuting duties.

My idea of cleaning the bike is taking it out when it's raining.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #46 on: 03 July, 2008, 10:04:38 pm »
Haven't had a problem with the Shimano Ultegra blocks (on Mavic Open Pros) on either the fixed or Audax bike and both have done more than 3000km on them since I last changed them. And they've both done some fairly hilly and wet rides along with commuting duties.

My idea of cleaning the bike is taking it out when it's raining.

Interesting how opinions differ.  I thought the Ultegra pads were total Carp.  I switched to Koolstop Salmons on the front and blacks on the rear.  I reasoned that in the wet I could haul equally as much on each lever with less chance of rear wheel lock-up with the reduced rear braking.  Seems to work just fine!

Stopping in the dry is fantastic and very controlled.

gonzo

« Reply #47 on: 03 July, 2008, 10:07:20 pm »
People who are happy with Ultegra blocks; do you want to buy 2 pairs (ie. 4 pads) from me? They're unused as I switched them out for Ultegra from the start.

« Reply #48 on: 03 July, 2008, 10:11:56 pm »
I was talking to the LBS about this yesterday as he has just put some Swissstops on his MTB and can't believe how good they are.  He is going to get me some black Swissstops to 'trial' for him over the winter to see if they are any good for commuting - he can then use my example when people come in for advice.

We looked at the blurb and it talks about different types of rim - ie. some being softer than others.  Perhaps that is why some on here find no fault with the Ultegra blocks - because their rim is harder?

gonzo

« Reply #49 on: 04 July, 2008, 08:44:54 am »
I used to use Ultegra on Open pros and was happy with them at the time because I'd not tried koolstop. My old tims did have some scoring in them from metal but I assumed that was just normal.

Have the people who like Shimano ever tried koolstop/swissstop?