Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3930738 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #26150 on: 16 October, 2023, 11:09:56 pm »

Sorry, should have read it properly. I thought your Achilles pain came on post antibiotics. ... Best advice, no plyometrics for a few weeks.
[/quote]

So this wasn't a great idea then...
First proper ride for 6 weeks. 45 miles including a lot of off road. Two coffee stops, one with sausage roll (Brentwood) and the other with cake (Hutton). Absolutely knackered now.

And pulling the bloomin' thing again (to stop myself falling down a 6m high, steep bank, backwards with the bike, because I had a gear management issue) was probably suboptimal, to say the least? In my defence I did ask my training buddy to arrange a "Gentle MTB Ride" - I don't think she realised what I meant.
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26151 on: 17 October, 2023, 02:53:30 pm »
48k in full winter fig for the first time this year, 7°C a pretty hellish change after last Friday's toddle.  Got no endurance, seeing quack tomorrow: throat infection untouched by amoxicillin.  Fed up.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Afasoas

« Reply #26152 on: 22 October, 2023, 12:52:37 pm »
T42 - sounds like it's time to take a rest? GWS.

16.5 km at an average of 22 km/h. Exact same average speed as last week, but with 33% more climbing. So I guess I did better than I felt I did out there on the bike. I really shouldn't have had that G&T last night - legs felt like they were on fire for the first half - I forgot how even one drink has that effect.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26153 on: 22 October, 2023, 04:21:53 pm »
T42 - sounds like it's time to take a rest? GWS.

Thanks, but I'm a stubborn old git. Did 50-odd yesterday with strong SW wind, feel well enough now to go out again tomorrow. New antibiotics not visibly working, though.

« Reply #26154 on: 22 October, 2023, 05:04:56 pm »
Had a gentle-ish 83km ride around the North Essex lanes on my old Claud Butler Roubaix. Ankle was complaining muchly, so dropped the saddle height a couple of times, which improved things.

Ankle was still nagging though... I was wearing an ankle support. I wonder if wearing the ankle support was loading my Achilles tendon more, rather than assisting it. Congestion has not eased (surprisingly) so thinking about requesting to see a medical practitioner of some description.

The sun shone all day long, and it was warm enough for a single layer all day, and I didn't bother wearing anything on my arms until about 3pm. However, there were many cyclists out today, and some were wearing far more.
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #26155 on: 22 October, 2023, 07:19:38 pm »
I am now wearing (almost) full winter kit and managed 72k today but many roads were still flooded with one completely impassable with a white van in the middle of it suggesting about 3 feet of water.  My only war round without adding a lot more mileage was a bridleway which appeared alright for the first half, then thick, deep mud resulting in walking and dragging my bike as best I could.  Pleased to get back on the roads again but no strength at all today in my legs.

« Reply #26156 on: 22 October, 2023, 10:41:02 pm »
Just my usual 7 miles around the industrial estate.  I stopped to move a dead squirrel.  It had very recently been hit by a car and was still perfect except for the blood around its head.  I just hate the thought of creatures, dead or otherwise, being squashed to a pulp, so I moved it into some bushes.  There will be no reward: its contemporaries will callously continue their destruction of both the birdseed and the feeder in our garden.  Lovely little sods!

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #26157 on: 22 October, 2023, 11:27:36 pm »
Sadly not.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #26158 on: 23 October, 2023, 09:02:15 am »
Yesterday My Young Lady and I took the Pino, with the aid of two trains and some Scenery to the northern end of the Downs Link*, which is on the North Downs Way near St Martha's Church. A lovely spot, great views over the Weald from the churchyard, but fairly tricky for cycling. Soft sand on the North Downs Way and when it wasn't sandy it was muddy.   

The majority of the Downs Link uses disused railway lines and runs N-S between the North and South Downs.  Quite why the northern end is where it is I don't know, but it's more in the way of "gnarly single track" in a downwards direction. Some walking was employed. The signposting is a bit, umm, variable too.  We finally got onto the railway track part, where life got easier. Brief picnic stop at Bramley for a late lunch (I'd greatly under estimated how long the first bit would take us) at around 1600, then a few more miles to Cranleigh for a pint and a loo stop. Back on familiar territory, over the tunnel at Baynards, Rudwick then we left the Downs Link at Slinfold for the  final few miles to my Rural Idyll.

*We arrived at the sign, on the North Downs, saying "Downs Link". "Oh" says My Young Lady "I've just worked out why it's called that". Bless. 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26159 on: 23 October, 2023, 03:13:25 pm »
50-odd km with a coffee-stop as usual, remarkable solely for being bloody cold and sneaky into the bargain: thermometer at home said 9° so I dressed for that, then 3k before the pâtisserie it zonked down to 5°. Only 4° difference but in summer shorts + knee-warmers it felt like a cold bath.

Hardly noticed anything else for the rest of the loop, I was too busy shivering.  No oomph at the end, either, even though the thermometer was reading 10° by then.

« Reply #26160 on: 27 October, 2023, 09:02:36 am »
54 miles to Tilehurst and and back towing the trailer with a repaired mountain bike in it. The lady who owns the bike lived in my road but inconveniently moved before the repair was completed..I had a late start and then a rear wheel puncture which meant I didn't get home till 1145. Nice star's Jupiter and the moon and mist patches on the way back  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26161 on: 27 October, 2023, 09:43:11 pm »
As is becoming a tradition, I went and rode the Almost Legendary Tunnel Ride route before the clocks go back.  I had low expectations after last year, but:

- Diggy hole diversion on the Rea Valley route added faff.
- Minor fettling of the paths on Clent Hill seems to have occurred at some point.
- That first stretch of Bridleway near Stourbridge has had the overgrowth trimmed and is nice easy riding.
- Took a wrong turn after Cunty John Lane and found a nice stretch of path that probably sends you back towards Hagley somewhere.
- The Sands Of Doom are now officially downgraded to The Singletrack Of Mild Peril.
- That really boggy bit after crossing the Kidderminster Road has had a welcome injection of gravel.  Didn't need to force my way through a hedge this time, either.
- The Roman Road isn't as bad as last time, though I diverted to the adjacent tarmac to avoid horses.
- As discovered last month, the Stourbridge and Dudley Poo canals now have a decent surface.  For probably the first time, I didn't overshoot the cunning shortcut that avoids all that lock gate nonsense.
- Netherton Tunnel much the same as last year (be prepared to ride through potholes and a couple of inches of standing water), though I note the handrail supports are corroding and starting to look a bit sketchy.
- Birmingham Canal section uneventful, apart from towpath the closure at the M5 flyover.  This was also the only time I've ever been sexually propositioned while wearing RainLegs.
- Gave central Birmingham a miss, and returned to Silly Oak via the Harborne Walkway.  Which is a pleasure when you've got an appropriate bike and all the dog-emptiers have gone home.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #26162 on: 27 October, 2023, 10:43:01 pm »
What is your primary steed since the Street Machine's demise, Kim?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26163 on: 27 October, 2023, 11:12:07 pm »
What is your primary steed since the Street Machine's demise, Kim?

Intel Core i7-6700   :-[

I'd been riding the Red Baron a bit, while conditions were still suitable.  But between the recent flooding and the onset of chutney season, the roads are now a bit too skoggy for a twitchy low-racer with slick tyres.  I dusted the Reasonably Priced Mountain Bicycle off for the Silverdale weekend, and then rode it to the Wolverley ALC, but off-roading around here means canals, and for those I have a limited tolerance (which I've just used up).  So mostly just noodling about on the Boring Dawes Discovery.

A worthy replacement for the Streetmachine is a work in progress...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #26164 on: 28 October, 2023, 07:49:13 am »
As is becoming a tradition, I went and rode the Almost Legendary Tunnel Ride route before the clocks go back.  I had low expectations after last year, but:

- Minor fettling of the paths on Clent Hill seems to have occurred at some point.
- That first stretch of Bridleway near Stourbridge has had the overgrowth trimmed and is nice easy riding.
- Took a wrong turn after Cunty John Lane and found a nice stretch of path that probably sends you back towards Hagley somewhere.
- The Sands Of Doom are now officially downgraded to The Singletrack Of Mild Peril.
- That really boggy bit after crossing the Kidderminster Road has had a welcome injection of gravel.  Didn't need to force my way through a hedge this time, either.
- The Roman Road isn't as bad as last time, though I diverted to the adjacent tarmac to avoid horses.
- As discovered last month, the Stourbridge and Dudley Poo canals now have a decent surface.  For probably the first time, I didn't overshoot the cunning shortcut that avoids all that lock gate nonsense.
- Netherton Tunnel much the same as last year (be prepared to ride through potholes and a couple of inches of standing water), though I note the handrail supports are corroding and starting to look a bit sketchy.
- Birmingham Canal section uneventful, apart from towpath the closure at the M5 flyover.  This was also the only time I've ever been sexually propositioned while wearing RainLegs.
- Gave central Birmingham a miss, and returned to Silly Oak via the Harborne Walkway.  Which is a pleasure when you've got an appropriate bike and all the dog-emptiers have gone home.

Perhaps a "reunion run" in the Spring could be organised .... there are still a few us left that did the original run organised by Ru88ell back whenever it was . . . 2003?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26165 on: 28 October, 2023, 02:26:15 pm »
Got 40k in between deluges. Bike filthy now.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #26166 on: 29 October, 2023, 02:34:28 pm »
Nipped into town with 2 x Gorgeous Grandchildren, 1 x My Young Lady, 1 x Hase Pino and 1 x Burley trailer. Pootle round the shops, coffee/ hot chocolate and CAIK then home. Verily it did rain as unto a cow does piss on the way back. Nevermind.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #26167 on: 29 October, 2023, 05:16:46 pm »
Nipped out in amongst the rain showers and did a couple of miles around the village. Not especially notable, except it's the first time sat on an upright bike, and first time pedalling anything other than my recumbent trike on the trainer, since having a minor op to remove metalwork from and do an arthroscopy on my knee nearly four weeks ago.

Climbing a hill en denseuse was more like channeling Bez than poetry in motion, but much better than I'd expected. That'll sort itself out with physio and time. Should be good to start commuting again soon.

« Reply #26168 on: 29 October, 2023, 08:01:02 pm »
double leg warmers, are they a thing?

Yes-ish! When it is extremely cold (first thing in the morning in winter) I wear long socks (with the toes cut off) over the top of my winter longs - to keep my knees warm. (My normal leg warmers don't seem to stay up over longs). Mine are the long stripey variety that you get on cheap market stalls. However I have just inadvertently boiled an offspring's merino jumper, so this year will be experimenting with a classier design made from the sleeves! It's not exactly the last word in fashion, but I find it works well.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26169 on: 29 October, 2023, 11:13:36 pm »
40km on the boring Dawes and now my fingers aren't working properly.

Get a move on, HPVelotechnik...

Afasoas

« Reply #26170 on: 01 November, 2023, 08:42:51 pm »
16 km on the olde heavy hybrid - which I expect is even more boring than Kim's boring dawes. It's certainly got some heft to it.

Good chance to test out the photon emission devices. I headed through a nearby old housing estate looking for a back route up to Cannock Chase. I found the Lane I was looking for but I bottled out. I couldn't really see far enough as the damp asphalt absorbed too many photons rather than reflecting them. More Lumens required before I attempt that.

It will be nice to get it cracked though, as that gives me a nice route into Cannock Chase with scarcely any traffic. Which should be relatively safe to tackle in winter if I stump up for some snow tyres. Could be a lot of fun too.

I cycled too town and back instead, knowing full well I'd have a good steep climb to contend with on the way back. Almost uneventful, two SMIDSY's aside. I'm not sure how that's even possible with all the blinkenlights (four forward and three aft).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26171 on: 01 November, 2023, 09:29:02 pm »

Perhaps a "reunion run" in the Spring could be organised .... there are still a few us left that did the original run organised by Ru88ell back whenever it was . . . 2003?
That is a Rather Good Idea. Subject to Kimlife, weather, etc.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #26172 on: 02 November, 2023, 08:00:06 am »

That is a Rather Good Idea. Subject to Kimlife, weather, etc.

Perhaps the first week after the clocks change to BST?   I found a pic of the group on the second running of the ride in April 2005 (IIRC it's at the stone circle at the top of Clent)

The names that I recall :  Me - very tall rider in blue gilet/red jersey left of centre of the picture, Ru88ell to my left with his son in front of him, Ru88ell's dad 6th from right (at the back); the late Docsquid/Sarah in the skeleton jersey  -  others may spot themselves.

. . . and the tunnel entrance at the southern end:

I think it was the 3rd running when we rode the N-S direction in the tunnel.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #26173 on: 02 November, 2023, 12:07:23 pm »
A VERY wet and blustery 40km loop today on Olive, roads like rivers, rivers like lakes. BUT I was 'snug as a bug in a rug' whilst wearing my 50 yo, heavy oil skin type cycling cape.  .........Cycling capes are like Tiggers.......''coz Tiggers are wonderful things''

« Reply #26174 on: 02 November, 2023, 08:04:22 pm »
All hail the cycling rain cape! I expect I'll need mine this Saturday.