Author Topic: Transporting doors with handles  (Read 1064 times)

Transporting doors with handles
« on: 10 September, 2014, 03:07:20 pm »
5 internal doors (going free) by car.  I could put then on the roof bars, usually for roof box, and have 3 rachet straps. Or put them in the back of the car with rear seats down, and the hatch back held closed with a rachet strap.  What do you think?  The boot option means I probably wouldn't need to remove the handles.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Transporting doors with handles
« Reply #1 on: 10 September, 2014, 03:13:42 pm »
I could only fit 4 with handles in a mk 4 Astra, but I think the door closed OK.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2014, 03:24:04 pm »
Thanks. Laying flat lengthways, at 2m, the doors would ( I think) protrude 3in or so, in the Nissan primera.   I think too, with hatch open,  it's windows closed & fan/ blowers on, to prevent exhaust fumes in car.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 10 September, 2014, 09:48:26 pm »
You could probably remove and re-fit the handles in the time it takes to have this debate...

« Reply #4 on: 11 September, 2014, 10:25:42 am »
Now look here, where's the fun in that?

I suggest the OP puts them on the roof bars with bits of polystyrene in between to protect the handles, or better still, hires a van.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #5 on: 11 September, 2014, 10:30:25 am »
How far in are the handles? Assuming internal doors is's only going to be a small proportion of the total door width. Could you just not offset each door and put the on the roof?

Like so:

+----
 ----+
+----
 ----+
+----

Wrap the bundle with one strap to stop sliding, and then the other 2 to pull them tight onto the bars.

« Reply #6 on: 11 September, 2014, 12:11:42 pm »
If the hinges are still on them that makes things a bit more tricky because the hinges will protrude by about an 1/8 inch along one side, so the doors can't lie flat against each other even staggering the handles.

« Reply #7 on: 11 September, 2014, 02:44:02 pm »
Turned out that none of the doors were the correct width - so I transported zero.   So off to Wickes at some point, apparently they do door white panel doors for £15, that actually get good reviews.  Might sample one or two and DIY fit, as won't be too bad if I make a mess of them.

« Reply #8 on: 11 September, 2014, 03:06:58 pm »
The standard 762mm ones in Wickes are £15, but the others are about £27.

(I need to get 10 for 'Wobbly Towers')

« Reply #9 on: 14 September, 2014, 07:20:15 pm »
How are you going to transport them? I assume you don't live at Wickes. Roof rack or in the car ?

« Reply #10 on: 14 September, 2014, 08:38:38 pm »
Free delivery.  :thumbsup: