Author Topic: ZIP code for non-US residents?  (Read 1828 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
ZIP code for non-US residents?
« on: 30 August, 2014, 01:26:05 am »
Today a Nice Lady called Jane told me that many of the non-US resident snowbirds who flock to the USAnian south-west in winter have 5-digit ZIP codes issued to them by their bank so that they can use, for e.g., card-reading petrol pumps without having to faff about wasting the cashier's time.  Presumably the banks and people in question are Canadian; has anyone heard of such a thing from a bank on this side of the pond?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Re: ZIP code for non-US residents?
« Reply #1 on: 30 August, 2014, 01:39:00 am »
I presume the systems are sophisticated to reject the card if you enter a valid but unrelated US zip code? Something like 90210 or 20500?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2 on: 30 August, 2014, 02:49:45 am »
I presume the systems are sophisticated to reject the card if you enter a valid but unrelated US zip code? Something like 90210 or 20500?

I'm too scared to try in case the "gas" pump rings up the Feds and has Mr Obambi's Arrest-o-Bots coming down on me before I can say "hemispherical interest" ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #3 on: 30 August, 2014, 03:18:24 am »

Yes, it pretty promptly canceled my nationwide CC when I tried such a trick (with exactly one of those zip codes you list, don't you know).

Vaguely reminds me of a USAian trick I learnt that does work: Safeways (and BevMo and others?) require you to have a club card to get $$ off your bill at checkout. If you don't have your card, you can enter your pre-registered phone number into the card-swipey machine. In most towns, using Jenny's number (867-5309) works. Just rock up and bash that in prefixed with a local area code (3 digits) of your choice, and enjoy the savings.

[this works as a reverse fortitude of joe public loving to use Jennys number on corporate forms to avoid the spam phone calls]

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #4 on: 30 August, 2014, 10:32:36 pm »
Who is Jeny and why do so many people have her phone number?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5 on: 30 August, 2014, 10:44:05 pm »
I've had only 2 different responses to the pump's need for a zip-code:

1) All zeroes has worked a couple of times;
2) otherwise go to the checkout and stand in line behind the fatties with their 'dogs and giant cokes.

« Reply #6 on: 31 August, 2014, 01:22:01 am »

« Reply #7 on: 31 August, 2014, 07:13:39 am »
I've used

1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View, CA 94043

for a few things where I've needed an American address.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #8 on: 31 August, 2014, 10:59:37 pm »
Who is Jeny and why do so many people have her phone number?
In case you really didn't know:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/867-5309/Jenny
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/tommytutone/8675309jenny.html

Thanks  for the condescension. I was thinking it might be a US version of this.. http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/numbering/guidance-tele-no/numbers-for-drama

These are real numbers that are useful for online forms as well.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

ian

« Reply #9 on: 01 September, 2014, 10:09:26 am »
Today a Nice Lady called Jane told me that many of the non-US resident snowbirds who flock to the USAnian south-west in winter have 5-digit ZIP codes issued to them by their bank so that they can use, for e.g., card-reading petrol pumps without having to faff about wasting the cashier's time.  Presumably the banks and people in question are Canadian; has anyone heard of such a thing from a bank on this side of the pond?

My understanding is that banks have their own made-up Zip that only they recognise. It's not an official UPO-certified Zip Code. I've been using my former Connecticut and Virginia Zips, they seem to work to fine. I'm not sure if they check but even though my licence has long expired the DMV and other computers probably remember me.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #10 on: 12 September, 2014, 09:56:23 pm »
I've used

1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View, CA 94043

for a few things where I've needed an American address.

Me too.
In 2006 I even used that at the US border control (for the "what hotel / address are you staying at tonight" question) .  It wasn't a lie. Inasmuch as, at the time to the best of my knowledge that's where I was going to stay - I managed to find a different hotel before getting there though.