Author Topic: What are you doing right now?  (Read 2458735 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: What are you doing right now?
« Reply #22575 on: 22 March, 2019, 08:45:14 am »
Feeling full of ache after last night's gym. 
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Chris S

« Reply #22576 on: 22 March, 2019, 09:47:30 pm »
Swearing at RNGesus.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22577 on: 22 March, 2019, 09:48:20 pm »

Did you take a wrong turn on the way to the pub?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #22578 on: 22 March, 2019, 10:23:01 pm »

Did you take a wrong turn on the way to the pub?

No. But straight to the pub after the gym was probably a wrong thing.  ::-)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #22579 on: 23 March, 2019, 07:27:21 am »
Having coffee, before I jump in the shower.  Planning on catching the 9.26 to the Smoke. 
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22580 on: 23 March, 2019, 07:39:11 am »
Digesting breakfast and considering another cuppa.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #22581 on: 23 March, 2019, 08:20:10 am »
Waiting for a train. Think I'll be a bit later than Reg through Cambridge.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22582 on: 25 March, 2019, 07:21:51 pm »
Observing with interest the supply of voles[1] to KimBarakta-HQ.

I opened the door earlier with a view to going to the postal oriface[2], to be met by the sight of  a) rain that wasn't happening when I looked out the upstairs window a minute or so earlier and  b) assorted linemen for the county, dressed in orange hi-vis, clutching some sturdy rubber gloves and peering at map of Silly Oak.

"Hello Kim," says one, who I recognised from one of the previous data logger installations, "we're swapping connections in the link boxes to see if we can balance out the load better.  Don't suppose you can keep an eye on things this evening, could you?  Cos if I ring you tomorrow and it's still rubbish we can just try something else rather than bothering with a data logger..."

Needless to say this didn't work, so they've upped the ante and brought in the Big Hole Gang[1]:

See that propane torch?  That's what I call a no-nonsense approach to applying heat-shrink.

They've moved our cut-out to a different phase, on the basis of redistributing load (or that the voltage is always higher[2], or something).

Has it worked?  Bit early to tell...

Data Logger Dave will be back tomorrow, apparently.  And presumably someone's going to fill the hole in before the BloodyStudents fill it with pizza boxes and half-finished cans of vodbull.

[1] Altogether now:  They're the BHG, the BHG, they're great at making craters, and drinking lots of tea...
[2] In the grass-is-always-greener sense.

« Reply #22583 on: 25 March, 2019, 08:11:18 pm »
Something make me think of Bernard Cribbins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yShvgXZQBTs

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22584 on: 26 March, 2019, 08:23:23 am »
Only your man there isn't wearing his plastic bowler.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #22585 on: 26 March, 2019, 02:07:25 pm »
Interesting soil colours you have in that part of this sceptred isle.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22586 on: 27 March, 2019, 09:14:01 pm »

They've put all the different coloured soil back in the hole in the wrong order too!

As further testament to their lack of jigsaw-puzzling skills, they've given up on the b0rked[1] paving slabs and have left the job unfinished, pending some new ones.  Which I give about a week before ending up in the same condition.

Meanwhile, the supply of voles is looking much more healthy; it hasn't dropped below the point where the bathroom lightbulb develops strobe-o-vision since they swapped phases:

[1] By people driving builders' vans, skip lorries and some of the larger wankpanzers over them.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #22587 on: 28 March, 2019, 07:48:46 am »

AIUI, Kim lives in the Midlands, where the most widespread geological unit is the Permian, so mainly red sandstones and mudstones.  So the soils tend to be red because of the iron content of the rocks the soils derive from.  The Permian was mostly a hot desert, or shallow sea, near to the land edge.  Think Arabian Gulf today.  If she lived in, say, Oxfordshire, the soils would not be red because the major rock types don't include the Permian.

« Reply #22588 on: 28 March, 2019, 10:49:22 am »
Procrastinating before starting on a stack of Visio diagrams.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22589 on: 28 March, 2019, 12:13:27 pm »
As further testament to their lack of jigsaw-puzzling skills, they've given up on the b0rked[1] paving slabs and have left the job unfinished, pending some new ones.  Which I give about a week before ending up in the same condition.

And they've just finished installing them.  Place your bets, the clock starts now...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #22590 on: 28 March, 2019, 08:23:21 pm »
Wondering why, when Googling using .co.uk from Germany, despite having my search location set to UK and using 'display from UK' it still gives me all the shopping results in Euros :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #22591 on: 31 March, 2019, 07:33:48 pm »
Feeling sorry for myself as I have a cold, have lost my voice and feel rotten.  Despite this, I have had lots of work to do which I didn't want to do because I am feeling ill.  So I ranted for a bit on twitter about working at least 60 hours each week, but still getting funny looks when I leave a 5 to get to my mum's care home during visiting hours (before going home and working again).  Having used that as a procrastination tool, I finally got on with my work.  I've now finished so now getting on with my homework (i am learning Spanish) apparently a husky voice means I pronounce my Spanish word better.  However, I am still grumpy because I am doing the 5:2 diet and today is a 2 day and I want to eat chocolate but can't.

« Reply #22592 on: 31 March, 2019, 08:37:45 pm »
Wondering why, when Googling using .co.uk from Germany, despite having my search location set to UK and using 'display from UK' it still gives me all the shopping results in Euros :(

Because of the way their infrastructure works, the sites are essentially all the same, the url is just a portal onto their network, it then spreads the work around and geolocates to figure out what it thinks you should see. It's often annoying when the computer thinks it's fixing your mistake.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22593 on: 01 April, 2019, 09:50:49 am »
Contemplating a set of EMG pickups and trying to figure out which of the 8 or so different wiring diagrams they supply applies to the hardware, whose precise designation doesn't appear against any of them.  ??? :demon:

ian

« Reply #22594 on: 01 April, 2019, 12:08:13 pm »
Listening to the neighbours but one having their driveway replaced which has involved constant pneumatic drilling since about 8am (well, I presume that's what is happening, I've not been out to look).

If I wanted to listen to streets being dug up, I'd go to the office.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #22595 on: 02 April, 2019, 02:05:14 pm »
I am digesting some uncomfortable news, ie. That my role is redundant and I have no chance of getting the role that nearest replaces it.

Bugger
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22596 on: 02 April, 2019, 02:34:22 pm »
As you say, bugger.

That was my 1974 Christmas present too: "we want you to document then entire project, then we'll make you redundant. You've got three months".

Although now I come to think about it that was also the good news I had in spring of 1983. I came back from a business trip to find bailiffs going round the company putting little stickers on every piece of equipment and entering it into a ledger. Still, after that I went free-lance and trebled my income.

Bon courage.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22597 on: 02 April, 2019, 03:57:05 pm »
I am digesting some uncomfortable news, ie. That my role is redundant and I have no chance of getting the role that nearest replaces it.

Bugger

OH SHIT!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #22598 on: 02 April, 2019, 04:17:48 pm »
I have just received the documentation.  Whilst the "Without Prejudice" offer is significant (like we can go to the US in summer, not at Xmas as previously expected significant) I still do not think it is sufficient to cover the situation I am in, i.e. they think I am unable to fulfill the new role as I am off work (and have been previously suicidal) due to work stress.  Yes, stress caused by the job, the one they are making me redundant from.  Stress levels, currently? More than a little high...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #22599 on: 03 April, 2019, 02:27:30 pm »
That's truly shit tiermat and the timing seems a little more than co-incidental, go get some legal advice.

Keep going mate.