Author Topic: Bikeroutetoaster cue sheets  (Read 1957 times)

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
Bikeroutetoaster cue sheets
« on: 24 March, 2014, 06:21:13 pm »
Hi

Does anyone know if there's a way of getting a cue sheet from imported files? It worked last year, but now does not and only shows 'start' and 'finish' under 'cue sheet', whereas before you got turn by turn instructions.

I've been importing a gpx file made in Basecamp. I could of course re-draw them all in BRT, but was wondering if there was a simple fix.

Thanks
Mojo is being awakened.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Bikeroutetoaster cue sheets
« Reply #1 on: 25 March, 2014, 08:49:34 am »
I don't think it ever did work, for imported gpx files.  (Nor even for saved ones)  Only for routes that have just been created using that planner.
In any case I think BRT is now fundamentally broken, if you want GPX output.  It produces non-standard GPX that won't open in most other software I've tried.  Or it did, a week ago.

For cuesheet generation, I'd investigate using Google Maps and CueSheet.  But again that workflow doesn't handle imports.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #2 on: 25 March, 2014, 09:45:47 am »
For cuesheet generation, I'd investigate using Google Maps and CueSheet.  But again that workflow doesn't handle imports.
That looks interesting, especially the Garmin option.... except it doesn't work in Firefox. Switched to Internet explorer and low and behold a TCX file with direction notes! Now just need a way to get a GPX uploaded to Google maps.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #3 on: 25 March, 2014, 01:21:24 pm »
You can import a KML or KMZ in the Classic, i.e. better version of Google maps. Just use something like GPSies to convert the file to that format before uploading and then use CueSheet. Haven't played to much with the new Google UI but it seems to have lost functionality.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 25 March, 2014, 01:55:35 pm »
That looks interesting, especially the Garmin option.... except it doesn't work in Firefox.

Just the Garmin connection doesn't work?  (CueSheet works OK in FF for me)
Maybe you've got the Garmin Communicator plugin installed for IE but not for Firefox - direct GPS connection is unlikely to work without it.

Vince

« Reply #5 on: 25 March, 2014, 04:32:36 pm »
That looks interesting, especially the Garmin option.... except it doesn't work in Firefox.

Just the Garmin connection doesn't work?  (CueSheet works OK in FF for me)
Maybe you've got the Garmin Communicator plugin installed for IE but not for Firefox - direct GPS connection is unlikely to work without it.
It was cuesheet that didn't work. I've just tried it on the home PC and its fine with FF.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Vince

« Reply #6 on: 25 March, 2014, 04:58:31 pm »
You can import a KML or KMZ in the Classic, i.e. better version of Google maps. Just use something like GPSies to convert the file to that format before uploading and then use CueSheet. Haven't played to much with the new Google UI but it seems to have lost functionality.

OK. Tried this and got as far as loading the .kml file into Google maps, but I can't get GM to interpret it as a route that can generate a list of directions.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #7 on: 26 March, 2014, 08:36:42 am »
Same problem as with BRT then.  The route has to be generated from scratch.  I can sort of see why this is - the instructions are generated by the map itself.  So it works for example if the Gmap is saved via a URL, because the destinations are embedded in that URL and everything else gets recalculated when you load it.  Whereas an import is just overlaying a wiggly line on the map.

Vince

« Reply #8 on: 01 April, 2014, 11:59:33 am »
That looks interesting, especially the Garmin option.... except it doesn't work in Firefox. Switched to Internet explorer and low and behold a TCX file with direction notes! Now just need a way to get a GPX uploaded to Google maps.
I've now done a practical test of this. It all worked, except the beeping arrow would appear on the Garmin just after the junction!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #9 on: 02 April, 2014, 10:03:51 am »
Playing with this setting on the GPS might (only might) help.
Try setting a distance of 50m or so.  (This is an Etrex 30 screenshot)