Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134410 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13550 on: 21 January, 2019, 11:48:23 am »
Replaced the rear tube on my fixed (again) and plucked out some more glass. Given the amount of cuts and wear, I think I'll be fitting a new tyre tonight.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13551 on: 21 January, 2019, 12:16:55 pm »
It's not an UltraHamsterSkin, is it?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13552 on: 21 January, 2019, 12:22:52 pm »
Vittoria Hyper 32 but it has done a fair few commuting miles. I have a couple of spares in the garage, so time to fit one.

I'll be replacing the chain and cassette on HK's Kinesis in a couple of days, once the cassette arrives. 3 months, 7000km, well past 1%. I might as well freshen up the sealant at the same time.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13553 on: 21 January, 2019, 06:22:56 pm »
I've identified the Poo Brown Bike now.  It's a 1982* Holdsworth Mistral, one of the last few made that year, and still has most of its original kit.  Full 531, not just main tubes, and it was their most expensive model, being a tourer.  Although this one's had a crappy repaint, it was originally Sable Brown.  This explains why it was repainted such an awful colour.

* I misread the number last night

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13554 on: 21 January, 2019, 06:38:53 pm »
Although this one's had a crappy repaint, it was originally Sable Brown.  This explains why it was repainted such an awful colour.

Typo, and it got re-painted in Stable Brown?

rogerzilla

« Reply #13555 on: 21 January, 2019, 07:14:09 pm »
Although this one's had a crappy repaint, it was originally Sable Brown.  This explains why it was repainted such an awful colour.

Typo, and it got re-painted in Stable Brown?
I prefer to think of it as Augean Umber.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13556 on: 22 January, 2019, 10:02:57 pm »
Managed to mend the toaster. I'm not sure what step it was that made it work again but I think it was physically holding down the shifter thingy that got it to latch again. Clearing all the crumbs out seemed to make no difference. So the female and junior sections of the Cudzo nation can have toast for breakfast tomorrow. I dislike it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13557 on: 23 January, 2019, 05:53:38 pm »
I finished truing the rear wheel on the Poo Brown Bike.  It seems to be the original (matches the spec in the 1982 catalogue) although the rim wasn't very worn at all.  The wheelbuilder didn't put the valve stem between parallel spokes  :facepalm:  It needed one new nipple and now it's almost dishless - in fact, the dish is reversed from what it was, with the non-drive side spokes shorter, because I had to push the fixed sprocket out to a sensible chainline.  The wheelbuilder also used spokes that were a little too long, so I'll have to file the ends on the LH side - these aren't box section rims so the rim tape will sit right on the nipples.  Interestingly, the spokes on the RH side (which was the "short" side) had been slightly filed.  Bodgers, eh?

It still trued up fairly easily considering it's 27 years old.

Also took the frameset off to be powdercoated.  Spacebadger had one done there years ago and it looked OK.  £50 including a top coat of baked-on lacquer to make it shiny.  Won't have any decals except the correct 531 seat tube decal and a repro brass head badge, which PlanetX are now knocking out for £8.  The powdercoaters can't apply decals anyway because of the baked lacquer, which would melt them.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13558 on: 24 January, 2019, 10:12:12 am »
Fitted a new chain and cassette to HK's Kinesis and a new rear tyre to my fixed and tweaked the saddle position. Replaced the rear tyre and tube on my Frezoni and glued the pivot pins on the brake levers. Fitted the last spare set of SPD cleats to new winter boots for HK.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13559 on: 24 January, 2019, 10:46:13 am »
Threw a bit of salt at the pavement outside, if that counts. This morning's tramp round the village was a bit slippery.  Other than that it's 2°C in the workshop so yrs trly's not fettling anything.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #13560 on: 26 January, 2019, 05:47:11 pm »
Repairs to the Mercian after my fairly disastrous attempt on the Kelvedon Oyster.

Posted the Team Professional off to Brooks to have its broken rail replaced. Stripped down the chainset and cleaned the rings, then fitted them and a new pair of cranks back to the bike. Also applied Proofide to, and fitted, a spare Team Professional that was luckily hanging around in the shed. Also luckily, finished just as it started raining (the garden is my only available workshop).

All ready for the Knights Templar, I think :thumbsup:

« Reply #13561 on: 27 January, 2019, 08:37:51 pm »
The original foam and plastic saddle on my runabout bike soaks up water and releases into jeans with great efficiency. So today I replaced it with a C17. Not ridden one of them before, but fancied experimenting with some rubber. Haven’t had a chance to ride it yet though.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13562 on: 27 January, 2019, 09:01:20 pm »
Cleaned a Connex chain that used to be on the Bob Griffin, was shortened to run 42 x 16 fixed but then I lost the extra links and had to buy a new chain to convert the BG back to 42 x 18 singlespeed.  However, the parts-bin Holdsworth is going to be 42 x 16, so provided the chainstays are the same sort of length as the BG, it will be ideal.

Also had a fiddle with the Weinmann centre-pulls.  These really need the proper old-fashioned brake pad holders for two reasons:

1. They stick inwards more than ordinary side-pull pads, which you need for best mechanical advantage

2. New pads have a cleverly angled contact surface, which (assuming your rims are about 22mm external width which these are), means the pads hit the rim flat despite the fact that the brake arms are far from vertical when the pads make contact.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13563 on: 28 January, 2019, 06:16:52 pm »
The contents of one of the shelves in my office - my NEBOSH diploma notes from almost 20 years ago.  From 9 folders down to 1, I might even get rid of those as well, as so much is on the web these days.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #13564 on: 29 January, 2019, 10:23:17 am »
Jointly tidied the shelves of cookery books.  20 gone to the charity shop.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13565 on: 29 January, 2019, 08:26:47 pm »
Removed a quantity of both Yorkshire and Lancashire from my MTB.

Then replaced the rear gear cable, which had a mysterious kink (I suspect due to being loaded into a car) just where it entered an enclosed section.  That explains the reluctant upshift in two of the ten gears.  Replaced the outer while I was at it, because general mank.

« Reply #13566 on: 29 January, 2019, 10:20:26 pm »
Fitted mudguards to my Surly. And, for the first time this winter, studded tyres.

Took it for a spin up to the corner which always freezes, too, so I'm ready for the morning.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13567 on: 30 January, 2019, 03:31:00 pm »
Built the main structures of a ballista, now clamped with the glue drying. Also made the two torsion arms.  Will try to assemble the parts tomorrow, and fettle the skeins of "rope" and a trigger mechanism.  Then I need to think about aiming and height adjustment. 

This is a toy for my son, honest.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13568 on: 30 January, 2019, 04:01:12 pm »
a section of bar tape has unwound on aerobars (from a bike that i use on a turbo), so re-done it the proper way with the help of superglue, and finished it off with the electrical tape, the end of which melted with a heated spoke to stay put.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13569 on: 30 January, 2019, 04:36:28 pm »
Winterised the Cinder Cone with studded tyres and vaseline on all the nice chromed parts.

« Reply #13570 on: 30 January, 2019, 10:21:13 pm »
Over the weekend I fettled large sheets 3mm mirrored perspex onto 12mm mdf for Miss Ham's studio/gym. I did a crap job, all of them make me look fat.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #13571 on: 31 January, 2019, 03:05:52 pm »
New wheel for a customer's ancient and uncared for Galaxy - we refitted his own tyre and tube - the latter with  SEVEN patches!   More patch than tube  ;D

I'm sure this isn't a record (I know it isn't, one of our club members had about 15 on one tube) but it does show care for the environment when most riders just bing in a new tube.

Rob

« Reply #13572 on: 31 January, 2019, 04:23:34 pm »
New cassette, chain and middle chainring on my winter bike.

Working in an unheated garage is not pleasant when the temperature's zero and you're handling cold metal.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13573 on: 31 January, 2019, 04:39:50 pm »
New rear tube into my fixed, for the third time this year...

« Reply #13574 on: 31 January, 2019, 04:41:58 pm »
New rear tube into my fixed, for the third time this year...

You need to replace that tyre with the holes in it.  ;)