Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1745649 times)

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #13050 on: 21 January, 2019, 03:12:54 pm »
What is in the schedule for this week?

Currently metcheck is showing negative temperatures for Wednesday night but with no significant rain or snow before.
The calendar currently says The Willows - Cressing. So a short ride back to Witham  :thumbsup:

This isn't a pub I've visited before, any good??

I've plotted a gritted route, via Spa RBT.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29212569

Can you open the route for viewing please.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13051 on: 21 January, 2019, 03:44:03 pm »
What is in the schedule for this week?

Currently metcheck is showing negative temperatures for Wednesday night but with no significant rain or snow before.
The calendar currently says The Willows - Cressing. So a short ride back to Witham  :thumbsup:

This isn't a pub I've visited before, any good??

I've plotted a gritted route, via Spa RBT.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29212569

Can you open the route for viewing please.

I normally set privacy to 'friends' on RWGPS when its a from / to home ride - I've edited it a bit and set it public, but might be an idea to add me as a friend for any future ones (the route probably wont surprise you in terms of gritted roads  :thumbsup: )
Regards,

Joergen

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #13052 on: 21 January, 2019, 05:38:40 pm »
Untreated roads were dry and felt ok yesterday on my Dick Turpin Reversed. Some frozen mud, frost and a bit of wheel-spin on an un-thawed corpse [pheasant I think]. All in daylight though. Comment from landlord Mr Blake at the Six Bells: "Why did you pick the coldest day of the winter to ride, and where's Raymond"

I too decided to do a perm yesterday, the horses 4 courses believing the BBC weather forecast of -1 to +5 degree C. Temp ranged from -7 to +2 degree C on the bike computer. The temp swing was not really noticeable when its this cold. Arrived at Snetterton circuit at 10.30am to a large crowd gathering of 10k fun runners. Had a chance to register for the run on the day but wisely declined. No incidents with the frost but kept away from the kerbside particularly at bottom of junctions.

Have a safe ride on Wednesday evening.

I am up for Huggy's helpers ride this Saturday.
CCS - Setting the Standards

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #13053 on: 21 January, 2019, 08:42:13 pm »
The Marathon Winters are on their bike and scheduled for Wednesdays ride, only 240 tungsten carbibe studs in each tyre....

The tyres are bloody hard work and sound like riding on a perpetual roll of bubble wrap, but good way to keep warm with the extra input required! Apologies for the racket if anyone wants to converse.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13054 on: 21 January, 2019, 11:09:29 pm »
The Marathon Winters are on their bike and scheduled for Wednesdays ride, only 240 tungsten carbibe studs in each tyre....

The tyres are bloody hard work and sound like riding on a perpetual roll of bubble wrap, but good way to keep warm with the extra input required! Apologies for the racket if anyone wants to converse.

Rice crispies  :thumbsup:

https://twitter.com/EssexWeather/status/1087444801115615232

Heavy showers are likely to arrive late Tuesday afternoon into Essex from the North-West. With colder air in place, these could fall as snow and the latest model run from the Met Office hints at accumulations of up to 2CM in places.

Slim chance of Chelmsford being hit - I might not be out in that case... lets see what turns up  :thumbsup: (I could probably do with a clear week off the beer tbf!  :facepalm: )
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #13055 on: 23 January, 2019, 10:03:05 am »
I only have a summer bike - other in for repairs - so don't fancy slipping around on thin tyres with no mudguards.

Back out when weather changes or suitable bike returned...!

« Reply #13056 on: 23 January, 2019, 10:21:12 am »
I only have a summer bike - other in for repairs

I thought your other bike would have lasted at least another few months of soft pedalling  ;D

I've got a volleyball match in Chelmsford tonight, and a meeting next Wednesday. It'll no doubt be warmer on 6th Feb when I'm next out  :)

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #13057 on: 23 January, 2019, 10:24:17 am »
@jibbers - did you intend to be at the Spa Rd roundabout at 7:30pm and we have an uncharacteristic direct ride to the pub?
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #13058 on: 23 January, 2019, 10:28:07 am »

Rice crispies  :thumbsup:

https://twitter.com/EssexWeather/status/1087444801115615232

Heavy showers are likely to arrive late Tuesday afternoon into Essex from the North-West. With colder air in place, these could fall as snow and the latest model run from the Met Office hints at accumulations of up to 2CM in places.

Slim chance of Chelmsford being hit - I might not be out in that case... lets see what turns up  :thumbsup: (I could probably do with a clear week off the beer tbf!  :facepalm: )

Pah, I laugh at your 2cm, soft Northerner ;D

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13059 on: 23 January, 2019, 10:35:34 am »
@jibbers - did you intend to be at the Spa Rd roundabout at 7:30pm and we have an uncharacteristic direct ride to the pub?

I was considering a direct ride there for food (20:00 arrival ish) but I am not sure if I will be out at all, want to get out on the fixed but not sure ICBA with -3 return home temperatures and misserable gritted roads....
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #13060 on: 23 January, 2019, 10:40:51 am »

I was considering a direct ride there for food (20:00 arrival ish) but I am not unsure if I will be out at all, want to get out on the fixed but not sure ICBA with -3 return home temperatures and misserable gritted roads....
A short leg spin with early arrival and departure [yeah, right, ha ha ha, we can but say we will] so not to be out too late on cold roads may actually suit.  Have some miles planned for Saturday anyway.
Any other Witham Peloton thoughts??

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #13061 on: 23 January, 2019, 11:08:59 am »
Sounds like a plan. I`ll cycle from Colchester to meet you at Spa roundabout.

It`s not quite freezing on the way there jibbers and a few pints might actually make your return on the A12 cyclepath bearable, entertaining or even enjoyable!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13062 on: 23 January, 2019, 11:36:12 am »
Anyone know if it's still open? web site is not working and last reviews were last year???  Keen not to starve to death tonight :D

Rebuilding fixed now.... trying to decide if to leave the gearing as was or go up/down.....
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #13063 on: 23 January, 2019, 11:43:48 am »
Not sure if I'm out tonight.  Bits of me are still mending from the last two spills....... :-[
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #13064 on: 23 January, 2019, 11:45:03 am »
Anyone know if it's still open? web site is not working and last reviews were last year???  Keen not to starve to death tonight :D

Rebuilding fixed now.... trying to decide if to leave the gearing as was or go up/down.....

I can tell that you`re trying to talk yourself out of a ride tonight, but un/fortunately Google and tripe advisor reviews are only a couple of weeks old.

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #13065 on: 23 January, 2019, 11:54:52 am »
I might have had enough of the cold by this evening given that I was out at 6am to go to the big smoke and it was bloody cold. I can also say that despite what the weather forecasts may have said or be saying, it was freezing and it is still cold enough that there is ice about wherever there is any damp. There was ice this morning even on roads in town that are ungritted.  Tonight I will probably err on the side of caution rather than go for bragging rights. Route JM may be forsaken for a direct Boreham Road return or - gasp - I may even let the train take me all the way home.  :o

My plan is to survive winter intact and be able to ride later in the week when it's supposedly warmer.
The option of a very short hop to some Merlot is very attractive.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13066 on: 23 January, 2019, 11:57:38 am »

I can tell that you`re trying to talk yourself out of a ride tonight, but un/fortunately Google and tripe advisor reviews are only a couple of weeks old.

Last one on google was 2w, then 1month... TA is beginning of Dec...

Hopefully it's still open!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #13067 on: 23 January, 2019, 11:58:20 am »
I might have had enough of the cold by this evening given that I was out at 6am to go to the big smoke and it was bloody cold. I can also say that despite what the weather forecasts may have said or be saying, it was freezing and it is still cold enough that there is ice about wherever there is any damp. There was ice this morning even on roads in town that are ungritted.  Tonight I will probably err on the side of caution rather than go for bragging rights. Route JM may be forsaken for a direct Boreham Road return or - gasp - I may even let the train take me all the way home.  :o

My plan is to survive winter intact and be able to ride later in the week when it's supposedly warmer.
The option of a very short hop to some Merlot is very attractive.

Sounds sensible, considering you`re of the soft Saffer variety.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #13068 on: 23 January, 2019, 11:59:27 am »

Last one on google was 2w, then 1month... TA is beginning of Dec...

Hopefully it's still open!  :thumbsup:

There`s always Boss Hoggs :sick:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13069 on: 23 January, 2019, 04:28:16 pm »
So whats the thoughts about tonight then???

it's 10km from Spa to the pub, so 19:30 start prompt Spa or earlier?
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #13070 on: 23 January, 2019, 04:34:32 pm »
So whats the thoughts about tonight then???

it's 10km from Spa to the pub, so 19:30 start prompt Spa or earlier?
I have late running calls with the colonials so 19:30 from Spa Rd works for me.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #13071 on: 23 January, 2019, 05:21:11 pm »
I'll shorten my route and probably arrive well before 9pm. If Willows is shut then plan B is a Braintree pub? The Silver Screen ['spoons] has no suitable bike parking though ...

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13072 on: 23 January, 2019, 05:36:55 pm »
I'll shorten my route and probably arrive well before 9pm. If Willows is shut then plan B is a Braintree pub? The Silver Screen ['spoons] has no suitable bike parking though ...

My plan B will be back to Witham as I only have a gritted route back via there (plan B = witham spoons?).
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #13073 on: 23 January, 2019, 05:55:08 pm »

My plan B will be back to Witham as I only have a gritted route back via there (plan B = witham spoons?).

Witham spoons is ok by me, gritted there and back for me via Braintree  :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13074 on: 23 January, 2019, 06:05:50 pm »

Witham spoons is ok by me, gritted there and back for me via Braintree  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen