Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 287143 times)

Re: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..
« Reply #1500 on: 13 September, 2019, 03:25:57 pm »
My comment on the twitterwebs was that I expected them to cast Scarlett Johansson as Nobby.

Nah, they've got her down to play 71-Hour Ahmed*. ;D

Nobby's going be mo-capped by Andy Serkis and overlaid with a mildly tweaked Gollum digital skin. :demon:

A nonbinary Cheery *might* work as a new interpretation of Dwarf Feminism, but Lara Rossi as Lady Sibyl is just plain baffling: She's supposed to be the same age as Vimes, and is canonically large.  I can only assume a misguided attempt to avoid a racial sterotype or something.

If they were trying to avoid stereotyping, they walked straight into it by casting a black actor to play Carcer - I suspect that's why the character's back-story has been made more sympathetic by making book!Carcer's delusions legitimate grievances.

As Ham says, program makers just can't help themselves. It's well-intentioned, but it's just more paving slabs to lay on top of the frozen double-glazing salesmen...  ;)

Carrot will always be Paul Gross in my mind.

Due South's Benton Fraser? I can totally see where you're coming from with that.  :thumbsup:

* C.f. complaints about casting ScarJo as an Asian in the live action Ghost In The Shell flick. ISTR the whitewashing issue was what killed off an attempt to make a live-action version of the seminal anime Akira...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..
« Reply #1501 on: 14 September, 2019, 01:28:00 pm »
My comment on the twitterwebs was that I expected them to cast Scarlett Johansson as Nobby.

I’d watch that.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1502 on: 14 September, 2019, 02:08:28 pm »
I don't know who half of these people are, so difficult for ne to get worried  ;D
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1503 on: 18 September, 2019, 01:50:18 pm »
As ani fule kno, the classic blunder one should never fall for is neither starting a land war in Asia nor going up against The Sicilian when death is on the line - it is thinking that a cult classic film needs to be remade.  :demon:

Sony Pictures Entertainment CEO Tony Vinciquerra says that “very famous people whose names I won’t use” want to redo Norman Lear’s ‘The Princess Bride’
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1173954759071547392

Judging by the replies, I'm not sure what's creating more bile - the news that there are people who think that The Princess Bride needs to be remade, or Variety's attribution of said film to Norman Lear...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1504 on: 22 September, 2019, 03:54:29 pm »
I'm sure The Streets' "Fit But You Know It" is just a less profane version of Jilted John.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1505 on: 23 September, 2019, 06:39:46 pm »
As ani fule kno, the classic blunder one should never fall for is neither starting a land war in Asia nor going up against The Sicilian when death is on the line - it is thinking that a cult classic film needs to be remade.  :demon:

Sony Pictures Entertainment CEO Tony Vinciquerra says that “very famous people whose names I won’t use” want to redo Norman Lear’s ‘The Princess Bride’
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1173954759071547392

Judging by the replies, I'm not sure what's creating more bile - the news that there are people who think that The Princess Bride needs to be remade, or Variety's attribution of said film to Norman Lear...

As I noted elsewhere, Things We Do Not Need:

• Nuclear armageddon
• A toothbrush with an Internet connection
• A "reboot" of The Princess Bride
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1507 on: 29 September, 2019, 11:25:52 am »
Currently on R4 is Desert Island Discs featuring Britain's most senior fire fighter.
Her first choice.  Girl on fire by Alicia Keys.  :o
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

citoyen

« Reply #1509 on: 29 September, 2019, 06:14:11 pm »
Behave yourself.

citoyen

« Reply #1510 on: 29 September, 2019, 09:48:59 pm »
Behave yourself.

I’m highly unlikely to get the opportunity to do otherwise.

ian

« Reply #1511 on: 29 September, 2019, 10:04:17 pm »
I've had afternoon tea with Ms Lumley.

That's not a euphemism. And yes, I took the opportunity to bring up Sapphire and Steel. According to my wife, we won't get invited back if I keep bringing up that stuff. Well, we haven't, so she may have been right.

I don't hobnob with the stars, all evidence would suggest they are actively avoiding me, but my wife's orchestra-thing was doing a charity concert in her garden and I followed her. She'll learn how to turn Find My Friends off at some point.

« Reply #1512 on: 30 September, 2019, 12:14:36 pm »
In the way of these things, Youtube suggested I might like to watch a video. I did and I found it one of the most humbling and inspirational talks, Evelyn Glennie TED talk  from 2007 "How to truly listen"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU3V6zNER4g

(and for those who may not have been aware, she is profoundly deaf. While profoundly=/=totally it's almost there)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1513 on: 30 September, 2019, 02:06:06 pm »
(and for those who may not have been aware, she is profoundly deaf. While profoundly=/=totally it's almost there)

But postlingually.  She's an amazing musician, but do be aware that the media's love of her as cripspiration tends to get the Deaf community's heckles up.

« Reply #1514 on: 30 September, 2019, 02:45:34 pm »
I'd have to be honest I wasn't aware of her media profile, I'd just heard her in performances on radio.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1515 on: 30 September, 2019, 02:55:32 pm »
She's the Famous Deaf Person who people get tired of being compared to, especially when that's used to imply that all you have to do is *listen harder*.

(I don't think this is Evelyn's fault, she talks about her own experiences.  It's mostly down to people's poor understanding of deafness.)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1516 on: 30 September, 2019, 03:41:17 pm »
I know her as a percussionist but I didn't know she was deaf.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Ghosteen is rather good, if not quite what we have been used to from Mr Cave. Sort of, "Nick Cave visits ECM"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwlU_wsT20Q

nicknack

• Hornblower
Ghosteen is rather good, if not quite what we have been used to from Mr Cave. Sort of, "Nick Cave visits ECM"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwlU_wsT20Q
Yes.
Thank you.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

I can't seem to find a thread for "The Expanse" anywhere.  We must have a few fans.  Season 4 on Amazon in December.  Based on "Cibola Burn".   Trailers below.

https://youtu.be/kNIim3xqsEU

https://youtu.be/uEENk6_XFoA

A much longer segment, with the Roci travelling back asswards for deceleration  :thumbsup:      She then lands on Ilus ?  Don't recall that from the book, but it's been a while. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LrZiNOvp_c&frags=pl%2Cwn

(sheepish edit, paste the damn link in)

And another trailer   https://youtu.be/0-QBzYfK_R8
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Just learnt that the last UK #1 recorded in mono was Uptown Top Ranking. 1978. Not sure whether that seems late or early!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Just learnt that the last UK #1 recorded in mono was Uptown Top Ranking. 1978. Not sure whether that seems late or early!

Googlepedia suggests that it became a #1 by accident, so that probably makes sense.

I tend to think of stereo as a 60s thing, at least from the unscientific sample of vinyl I've encountered over the years (8-track was stereo from the outset, wasn't it?).  So I expect the overwhelming majority of professionally produced popular music was recorded in multi-track (from which stereo mastering becomes a silly-not-to) long before 1978.  The exceptions will likely be where things were performed as-live or recorded on a shoestring budget.

I expect mono will become fashionable again any time now.  Optimised for sodcasting, innit.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
It is gratifying to see that a bit of lippy and a hairbrush have turned Engrenages' Josephine Karlsson back into her old self :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Is that thing still running? We got fed up with it several years ago.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
BBC 4 showed episodes 7 & 8 of series 7 last night.  I think Canal+ have said this is the last series so no spoilers, if it pleaseth, in case there's going to be some kind of Pockyclypse in the final episode.