Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 289270 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..
« Reply #1950 on: 06 September, 2021, 11:42:20 am »
I saw that story. I really don't agree with Margolyes that it was her "duty" to reveal the information, and I question her stated motives for doing so, given that she didn't know Du Pre herself.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..
« Reply #1951 on: 06 September, 2021, 12:24:16 pm »
I had the same feeling as Citoyen. If it's true, it was a private thing between Du Pre, those close to her and the nurse she made the arrangement with.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1952 on: 06 September, 2021, 01:33:13 pm »
It would fall rather to du Pré's family to make any such revelations. Margoyles is certainly someone to be respected but that doesn't give her licence to trot out anything so private.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1953 on: 07 September, 2021, 11:54:36 am »
Mr R is taking his friend Kim to La Boheme in Manchester on Saturday...  I shall be at home  :(
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1954 on: 07 September, 2021, 09:42:17 pm »
Some of you will get this...

I was making dinner last night and my son noticed the ingredients I had out on the counter included breadcrumbs and butter beans.

"We're having chocolate biscuits!" he exclaimed.
YAProfessorYaffleAICMFBP
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

citoyen

« Reply #1955 on: 08 September, 2021, 09:32:26 am »
Some of you will get this...

I was making dinner last night and my son noticed the ingredients I had out on the counter included breadcrumbs and butter beans.

"We're having chocolate biscuits!" he exclaimed.
YAProfessorYaffleAICMFBP

:thumbsup:

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1956 on: 08 September, 2021, 05:13:40 pm »
We are going to see Fascinating Aida next Monday...   it's my burfday treat from Jon  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

ian

« Reply #1957 on: 09 September, 2021, 09:25:05 pm »
They're bringing the Matrix back, not sure about that, the last two followed the law of diminishing sequels. But I'm sort of excited at the same time.

The Matrix was one of the few movies where I went in blind (not literally, pendants), with little idea what it was about, and it was made all the more awesome by that.

The other was Fight Club, which we only watched because it was raining heavily and the alternative to getting wet running for a tram. We had a cinema pass and it sounded exactly like the sort of movie we wouldn't like, but it was just about to start, and the rain was only getting heavier.

« Reply #1958 on: 09 September, 2021, 10:00:27 pm »
I assumed Fight Club was some sort of tacky post-Rocky American violence bullshit. I didn't bother going or reading about it. Then was told by somebody whose opinion I respect that I should. Was blown away. Ditto American Beauty.

Matrix not so much.

« Reply #1959 on: 09 September, 2021, 10:13:45 pm »
I loved the first Matrix film in the cinema, and we went based on one trailer.

Even better we nearly missed it, our bus got stuck in traffic, so we managed to get let off early and sprinted however far to make it on time.

And I somehow "matrixed" on the way. Or was at least the most physically coordinated I've ever been. Dashing past the inevitable crowds of people I ended up jumping and somehow just sliding along a plate glass window, and the wee railing below, for however many metres. It felt like more than it was, especially given I was 14 at the time.

If I tried it now I'd fall though the window and cut myself in a billion places.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1960 on: 10 September, 2021, 09:26:20 am »
The Matrix would have been better if they'd had a different rationale for The Machines doing all that to start with - the thermodynamics were cockeyed.  If they'd been linking human brains into single vast datasphere (merci, Dan Simmons) it would have been more believable, especially they'd used a subsection of it to house the Matrix.

« Reply #1961 on: 10 September, 2021, 09:48:51 am »
... it was just about to start, and the rain was only getting heavier.

Thats how we got to see Ballet Rambert's Ghost Dances, one rainy Saturday afternoon in Mancheater, around 1999, where we were picking up my stepson from Uni.  That was amazing (Rambert, not the collection of stepson).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

« Reply #1962 on: 10 September, 2021, 10:05:23 am »
The Matrix was one of the few movies where I went in blind (not literally, pendants), with little idea what it was about, and it was made all the more awesome by that.

Same here. Based on what little I knew about it prior to seeing it, I was primed to expect it to be shit, but the opening sequence is so awesome that I was completely hooked.

The Matrix would have been better if they'd had a different rationale for The Machines doing all that to start with - the thermodynamics were cockeyed.

I don't think it pays to think about the science of it too closely. It's allegorical, innit. The machines are, like, symbols of "The Machine", man.

Best just to enjoy it for the fightin' and shootin'.

I assumed Fight Club was some sort of tacky post-Rocky American violence bullshit. I didn't bother going or reading about it. Then was told by somebody whose opinion I respect that I should. Was blown away. Ditto American Beauty.

Fight Club came out when I was the parent of a young baby, so I wasn't going to the cinema much in those days. And the hype put me off too. And that's why I've somehow never got round to watching it...

Damn. I should do something about that. I might watch it this weekend.

I've seen the final scene, but it didn't make much sense on its own.

ian

« Reply #1963 on: 10 September, 2021, 10:49:17 am »
Yes, The Matrix has one of the best opening scenes ever. It's still breathtaking. And it keeps it up. I also wouldn't worry too much about the thermodynamics, it's the matrix that's making you think like that.

And yes, watch Fight Club, it's still brilliant. Plus, it includes the best practical advice ever on how to handle negotiations with your boss.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1965 on: 10 September, 2021, 12:57:43 pm »
The Matrix would have been better if they'd had a different rationale for The Machines doing all that to start with - the thermodynamics were cockeyed.

I don't think it pays to think about the science of it too closely. It's allegorical, innit. The machines are, like, symbols of "The Machine", man.

Best just to enjoy it for the fightin' and shootin'.

Nah, fucked-up science tarnishes a film for me.  Either leave out explanations completely or push the plot so far into the future that anything appears plausible. Otherwise it's just insulting.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1966 on: 10 September, 2021, 01:07:08 pm »
I've still never seen Fight Club and had also assumed it was shit, but was also told by someone that it was good. It was too late to watch the film (as in too many years past release and pre-streaming) but he did lend me the book, which I read and which was good.

citoyen

« Reply #1967 on: 10 September, 2021, 01:20:26 pm »
Nah, fucked-up science tarnishes a film for me.  Either leave out explanations completely or push the plot so far into the future that anything appears plausible. Otherwise it's just insulting.

That's a bit like saying the talking pigs spoil Animal Farm.

ian

« Reply #1968 on: 10 September, 2021, 01:38:31 pm »
I've still never seen Fight Club and had also assumed it was shit, but was also told by someone that it was good. It was too late to watch the film (as in too many years past release and pre-streaming) but he did lend me the book, which I read and which was good.

It's one of the few movie versions of a book that actually improves on the book (and the book is very good). Well worth a watch, and it's not about blokes fighting (well, it is, but, anyway remember the first rule about fight club). Just noticed it's available on Prime, might have to watch it again.

Blimey, 1999.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1969 on: 10 September, 2021, 03:38:47 pm »
Hey guys, you know the rules.

citoyen

« Reply #1970 on: 10 September, 2021, 03:58:20 pm »
Hey guys, you know the rules.

What, the rules of Fight Club? No idea, I've not seen it.  ;)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1971 on: 10 September, 2021, 05:10:00 pm »
Queensbury Rules, I believe.
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1973 on: 11 September, 2021, 10:31:54 am »

That's a bit like saying the talking pigs spoil Animal Farm.

No it isn't. Having a pig talk tells the viewer deliberately that we are in talking-pig land.  Crappy science tells you that the producers think you won't spot it because you're a moron.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1974 on: 11 September, 2021, 11:17:28 am »
Things I didn’t know until very recently #28948: the Wachowski brothers are now the Wachowski sisters.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime