Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 289225 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Arthur should have been more careful in picking his birth-date.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Arthur should have been more careful in picking his birth-date.

And his sexuality, yes.

Clarke could barely write straight men, let alone women.  His most famous stories are so plot-driven this is merely irksome, and in later years he tended to collaborate with someone who could do characters.

The great thing about Rendezvous with Rama is that it's basically timeless.  You could set it in any culture where humanity are travelling around the solar system within the limits of conventional rocketry, and physics dictates an open ending.  It doesn't need to be set in a 1970s cold war future the way the Space Odyssey series was.  Plenty of scope for a cinematic epic.  But also plenty of scope for awful screenwriting.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
My favourite SF writer remains Brian Aldiss. Because as well as being able to do the SF stuff he could also, you know, write.

You don't see many film adaptations of his stuff - even though he is good at both story and character.

Mind you, given that the most notable attempt to date at adapting Aldiss is AI, perhaps it's just as well Hollywood leave him well alone.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Adele's upset.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60078151

Bet she gets a whole album out of the misery.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Adele's upset.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60078151

Bet she gets a whole album out of the misery.

A close call between here and the Supertwat thread I think.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
On Sunday I met an Elvis fan who was looking for some s/h vinyl of the The King. He couldn't find any, cos it's rare to find vinyls (or CDs) of that era. What made this notable was this particular Elvis fan was two weeks short of his seventh birthday.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Just introduced my eldest (8 ) to the joys of the bridgekeeper scene from The Holy Grail.  He now knows what to say when asked for the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow.  :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Well done  :thumbsup:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Neil Young and Joni Mitchell have removed all their music from Spotify in protest to Spotify hosting a show from a famous US anti vaxer and general idiot.

James Blunt has tweeted that if Spotify don't drop said anti vaxer he will release MORE music to Spotify.

Got to love James Blunt, tedious music but a an all round good egg. Plus he managed to avoid kicking off armed conflict with the Russians all by himself so that makes up for his records.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
And he was sporting enough to hand over his rhyming slang equivalent to Jeremy [“Rhyming Slang” – Ed.]
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
No, BBC Radio newsreader, the Neil who got cross with Spotify was Mr Young, not Mr Diamond :facepalm:

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
 ;D

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Yep they are extortionate now and in fancy colours too. Mine looks identical to that except for the green cartridge.   Played Big Science on it late the other night

I've rediscovered Laurie Anderson via a copy of Mister Heartbreak that I'd forgotten I had  :thumbsup:

Feeling in need of some nostalgia,  I fired up a recent download of "Diva". only to find it didn't include subtitles.  In ongoing homage to Bienix I then tried "The Moon In The Gutter", only to find another absence of subtitles.    I finally went for a Full English,  "Truly, Madly , Deeply" and once again fell in love with Nina.  Sighs wistfully.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

I have just discovered Hiromi Uehara, if you like jazz I suggest you do, too.

With a bit of practice  I can talk to and get my mate Mr Google to play her stuff, I still haven't cracked "Maite Hontéle".

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
I have just discovered Hiromi Uehara, if you like jazz I suggest you do, too.

:thumbsup:

She's excellent,  I saw her play at the Bridgewater Hall in 2019. 

Full concert from 2010.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awbv7HzQsA4
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Got to love James Blunt, tedious music but a an all round good egg. Plus he managed to avoid kicking off armed conflict with the Russians all by himself so that makes up for his records.

Well...I agree that he appears to be a jolly decent chap, but "all by himself" is perhaps over-egging it somewhat: it was General Mike Jackson who refused the order from the American commander which would have kicked off a barney with the Russians. Yer man Blunt has said he'd have done as much himself if the decision had been solely down to him, but ultimately, it wasn't.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11753050

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
I was at a recording for the Infinite Monkey Cage last night. Robin Ince read out my rib tickling, allegedly funny, answer to the the question "Would you rather be a bat or a fly...and tell us why?".  Coming to a cutting room floor near you.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
(Peers owlishly at the small corner of the BBC that is forever Monkey)

“No upcoming broadcasts”

Sort it out u muppets!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
(Peers owlishly at the small corner of the BBC that is forever Monkey)

“No upcoming broadcasts”

Sort it out u muppets!
They didn't appear to know when it would be broadcast last night either.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Half Man Half Biscuit's new album, The Voltarol Years, was a-lurking on the doormat when I arose from my pit just now.  Hurrah :thumbsup:

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
As of lunchtime I have now have 4 albums/CDs/whatever of Music entitled, "London Calling"

One being a collection of Mr. Coates work, including the piece "London Calling".
The second, The Clash's collection of popular* ditties as MP3 files as well as a much loved 45 with the title track upon it.
And the newly purchased fourth (third and halfth?)  is an CD by the Austrian Baroque Co. being, "A Collection of Ayres, Fantasies & Musical Humours."

This unit heartily recommends all of them.

This unit also wonders, albeit idly, if there are other albums/CDs/whatever rejoicing in the same title.

*Well they're popular with me.  MrsL is less... enthusiastic.

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
This is all very well until you rip them and add them to the music manglement/playback prog of your choice and discover that it can't tell the difference between the Austrian Baroque Co and The Clash ;D