Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 289246 times)

My daughter's school adapted Mamma Mia for their school play. Over 300 primary school kids learning and performing Abba. Through this I discovered Abba's work in Spanish. Abba Gold is Abba Oro. This could help my attempt at Spanish learning.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
7. With absolutely no luck at all with the guesses.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
10 though at least three were guesses.  And as the answer actually points out, the Lake Tahoe question is Wrong.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

About to watch “A Candle for the Devil”, billed as “Demented spinsters carve up guests at a Spanish roadhouse”.

Looking forward to seriously grim 70s rubbish.

No, I can’t do it. Bad overdubbed Spanish mostly, one death in the first 2 minutes, grim religious overtones.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/jul/28/the-guardian-thursday-quiz-general-knowledge-topical-news-trivia-66-kate-bush

I got 11/15. I expect Rogerzilla to get 15.

11/15 here as well. But only one of the questions actually requires any knowledge of Kate Bush, so it's a bit of a swizz.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/jul/28/the-guardian-thursday-quiz-general-knowledge-topical-news-trivia-66-kate-bush

I got 11/15. I expect Rogerzilla to get 15.

11/15 here as well. But only one of the questions actually requires any knowledge of Kate Bush, so it's a bit of a swizz.

A pitiful 5- but one of those was the Kate Q so I'm claiming victory.

Cudzoziemiec

Boogie on down with heads of state!
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/19/world-leaders-dancefloor-videos-sanna-marin

Boris shows them how to cut it. No, not that one.

Boogie on down with heads of state!
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/19/world-leaders-dancefloor-videos-sanna-marin

Boris shows them how to cut it. No, not that one.

Only Sanna Marin and Obama are any good and look like they are actually enjoying themselves (I'm discounting Zelenskiy since he was in showbiz originally).
Ursula von der Leyen though looks like she's restraining herself from busting out some serious moves in the Angela Merkel video.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Cudzoziemiec

Obama's is somewhat different as it's clearly staged. The bloke on the other side of Merkel is clearly enjoying himself, although you can't call it dancing.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I've been doing a bit of reminiscing and this chap cropped up. He and I lived under the same roof with 9 other chaps in the 1972-73 academic year. Jack was studying for his B. Ed. at the time, I was in my first year.

Given that he's a reasonably prominent Liverpool folk singer, I wondered if AndrewC was familiar with his work.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Sorry Peter, I've never heard of him.   
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Re: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..
« Reply #2165 on: 27 September, 2022, 10:41:41 am »
Well, here's a turn up for the books. I'm going to a gig, first time since forever. Patax are in London, so I felt I had to. They're at the Tabernacle and I've got my ticket and I'm being asked to book a seat.  Do I book on the ground floor to be at the front, or the gallery where visibility is betterer? Bearing in mind that Patax combine jazz, funk, rap and flamenco would that be better? Anyone know the venue? Not a huge number of tickets sold yet, by all accounts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaPW6tthHSA for an example of what I might hear and see (ff to 3:30 for flamenco)

ETA of the 17 seats shown as booked, 6 are th front row of the gallery the rest are on the ground floor.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Cudzoziemiec

Velma from Scooby-Doo is now a lesbian. I'm confused by a few things in this: it's never occurred to me to particularly read any of the characters as gay or straight; I've never seen Velma and Shaggy as anything approaching a couple; and I don't recall any character called Marcie Fleach. Obviously I haven't seen the new movie, I don't think I've seen the 2002 movie either (google tells me it was live action, in which case it was crap) and probably most of the Scooby-Doo i've seen has been the cartoons from the 1960s and 70s dubbed into Polish (just because; and yes, the song works very well in Polish). Anyway, zoinks! and all that.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/shortcuts/2022/oct/05/scooby-doos-velma-has-finally-come-out-as-a-lesbian-my-dream-has-come-true

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I had the misfortune to see the 2002 Scooby-Doo film and “crap” doesn’t even begin to describe the sheer mind-buggering awfulness of it.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

The Scooby-Doo franchise went downhill when they introduced Scooby's intensingly annoying nephew Scrappy* in 1979.

* The "S" is silent, BTW...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
My Dear Wife has been watching murder mysteries on Youtube. A few minutes ago she mentioned "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" and I, with a wonderful juxtaposition of superannuated brain cells, replied "That's the only Beatrix Potter book I ever read!", for some reason getting one 3- followed by 2-syllable author's name confused with another. A slightly surreal conversation then ensued in which Janet definitely had the last word with the final sentence Mr. McGregor ever heard:

"My name is Peter Rabbit and you killed my father! Prepare to die!"
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Velma from Scooby-Doo is now a lesbian.

I'm confused; was she ever not?

(Spesh is right about Scrappy.)

Cudzoziemiec

Since 2002 apparently. Probably as a result of being paired off with Shaggy. It would be interesting (would it? no probably not) to hear what (checks Wikipedia) Joe Ruby and Ken Spears thought.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
The awkward relationship with Shaggy is a classic coming-out story arc.

Velma from Scooby-Doo is now a lesbian.

I'm confused; was she ever not?

Not in 1969 I don’t think.